The NHL thread

Guest Mard

Im close to putting $100 on the Penguins. Theyre the favorites but im hesitant since no team has repeated in so long. This Ottawa series could go 7 and Nashville looks like a machine on the other side. But its hard to bet against Crosby, Malkin, Kessel etc

For years Ive wanted the Bruins to sign a guy like James Neal or Bobby Ryan and here they are playing awesome. Too bad the last GM loved wasting cap space on 4th liners lol

On May 18, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Elisa said:

The thought of a Senators-Nashville final is both boring and a little depressing. 

Not for Nashville.

And a few years back, I think 2011, Laviolette was coaching Philly and Boucher was with Tampa, Laviolette wouldn't let his defenceman pass the puck up if Tampa trapped the neutral zone. So nothing happened for a few minutes. It might be a hilarious match up with some good post game drama.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This World Juniors tourney is going to be really interesting. There are five teams that I could easily see winning gold; Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, and Russia. Even the Czech's have Zadina, who has looked great and will probably be a high pick in the 2018 draft.

I'm thinking Sweden takes gold against Finland. Sweden's top-end talent of Dahlin, Petterson, Nylander, Andersson, etc. is just stupidly good. Finland looks great this year as well.

America beats out Canada for bronze. Mittelstadt has sick mitts and is so fun to watch. I think it's a coin toss but Canada lacks top-end talent outside of goaltending and Makar.

I'm 90% sure I'm wrong with all of my predictions since there is so much parity in this tournament this year. So many good teams. 

3 hours ago, Clarkerpes said:

This World Juniors tourney is going to be really interesting. There are five teams that I could easily see winning gold; Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, and Russia. Even the Czech's have Zadina, who has looked great and will probably be a high pick in the 2018 draft.

I'm thinking Sweden takes gold against Finland. Sweden's top-end talent of Dahlin, Petterson, Nylander, Andersson, etc. is just stupidly good. Finland looks great this year as well.

America beats out Canada for bronze. Mittelstadt has sick mitts and is so fun to watch. I think it's a coin toss but Canada lacks top-end talent outside of goaltending and Makar.

I'm 90% sure I'm wrong with all of my predictions since there is so much parity in this tournament this year. So many good teams. 

Its always so unpredictable. 

Im gonna buy tickets for when its here next year. You can get 19 games for like 1400$

2 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Penguins just lost to my poor Red Wings team. Man, did Pittsburgh look bad. No way this team makes it back to the Cup.

Yeah, they haven't looked great this year. Murray has been pretty lousy as a starter. Can't believe I kept him in my keeper league over Vasilevskiy - who now looks like he's going to win the Vezina, smh. 

Pittsburgh still can turn it around, though. They're going to deal a few players like Letang, they can afford to mortgage their future by trading draft picks at the deadline for more depth, and they can still acquire a veteran backup goalie. I think they're still a playoff team, they have too many good players. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 7:49 AM, vic vinegar said:

Ouch. You dropped Vasilevskiy or traded him?

I chose to keep Murray over Vas, so I guess I dropped Vas? For goalies, our league does wins, save %, and goals against. Going into the season, I thought it was a safe bet that Murray would put up more wins and a better goals against, given how dominant Pittsburgh has been over recent years, but the team decided to shit the bed on me. 

As for WJC - crazy that the Czechs beat the Fins. It would be pretty cool to see Czech make the finals. 

Another Finnish team with good puck possession, skating, etc. but complete inability to score even when given a zillion chances (the PuLa-Aho team was an anomaly). The game against Denmark was so typical; the shots were 65 to 7 or something and we managed to score only four goals. We should be winning games like that 10-0 like the Canadians, Americans & Swedes do. No wonder we lost to a more efficient (even if noticeably weaker overall) Czech team.