What Are You Listening To Right Now Pt. 2

corey

On 8/20/2017 at 6:46 AM, thongrider said:

I haven't heard Billy Talent in ten years. 

I'm listening to the Head on the Door by the Cure. So much cool stuff on here, but sometimes I'm sort of weirded out by it as well haha.

Billy Talent is underrated i think.  So many great songs and their guitarist is very good.

man I remember when I saw Portugal. The Man 10 years ago and I literally fell asleep during their set. I had been at work all day and drove an hour to see them and PlayRadioPlay!. It was a weird group of bands with punctuation.

6 hours ago, Elisa said:

@boxelder I heard it leaked. How is it? I was looking forward to it but I think it's coming out tomorrow so I'll just wait and listen to it when it's on Spotify. 

my first impression was that it wasn't as good as peripheral vision, but that's a stone cold classic anyway. but that one grew on me too, there were songs i didn't love at the start i can't live without now. only a few days in, i'm already getting that way with good nature. it's less consumed with sadness as its predecessor; it's a lot more upbeat. and it's not pop punk shrouded in reverb anymore, they're expanding their sound on this record. blah blah blah it's pretty good.

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

man I remember when I saw Portugal. The Man 10 years ago and I literally fell asleep during their set. I had been at work all day and drove an hour to see them and PlayRadioPlay!. It was a weird group of bands with punctuation.

i'm a nerd about billboard charts and radio hits, and i love when anyone has a crossover hit. seems like we used to have more of them, or pop radio was just less owned by payola in the past. either way, seeing a band like portugal the man -- who i don't really care about but have seen them on the festival circuit year after year -- score a hit is exciting. even if it interpolates please mr. postman lol. it's good they'll be making some new fans, and the song's not bad! earworm for sure

• Like 1

Yeah, the radio is just paid advertisements at this point. Nothing is going to get on there unless it has the backing.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/07/12/paying-to-play

I remember reading this and knew it was gonna get worse. I do think pop music has lost a lot of what made it great because it's so homogenized now. No left-field successes.

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah, the radio is just paid advertisements at this point. Nothing is going to get on there unless it has the backing.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/07/12/paying-to-play

I remember reading this and knew it was gonna get worse. I do think pop music has lost a lot of what made it great because it's so homogenized now. No left-field successes.

fun fact: blink songs like i miss you from around that exact same time were also big hits because of this practice (page 65):

https://books.google.com/books?id=MSUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA51&dq=blink+182+i+miss+you&hl=en&sa=X&ei=k8RdU7eqOojMsQTj1YCgDg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBDge#v=onepage&q=blink&f=false

• Like 1