[Advice] Need a powerful guitar amp

Phil

Okies 2x12.

Now there're 5 types of combos, which one's the best?

- Solid-State

- Tube

- Modelling

- Hybrid (what are those?)

- Battery Operated

It's been said modelling amps suck. But yeah I just don't really know what the difference is and how it influences the sound.

By the way I really appreciate all you guys taking time to answer an amp n00b like me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okies 2x12.

Now there're 5 types of combos, which one's the best?

- Solid-State

- Tube

- Modelling

- Hybrid (what are those?)

- Battery Operated

It's been said modelling amps suck. But yeah I just don't really know what the difference is and how it influences the sound.

By the way I really appreciate all you guys taking time to answer an amp n00b like me.

1x12, or 2x12 will be fine. No need for a halfstack.

Solid State

Good at low volumes, horrific at high volume. Good if needed for dorm room etc.

Modelling/Hybrid

At the moment these are the same thing. It means you get many different amp styles and effects in one amp. Hybrid means it has a tube in the pre-amp, which honestly makes no difference. Good again for dorm rooms or low bugets.

Battery Opperated

Pointless

Tube/Valve

The best sound a guitarist can gain (if you buy a good tube amp of course). Sounds good at low volumes, but shine when you crank them. They give the full saturated sound of a great guitar; the reason why 99% of pro artists use them.

Rather than looking at brand, I would first go to a local shop or look online for some All Tube/Valve amps in your price range. Being British and liking quality amps without being ripped off I would definitely recommend Laney, and if you're in America, check out Peavey.

Obviously, brands that are better know (eg Marshall) are more expensive for the same quality or amp as other less-known brands.

If you do decide to get a tube amp, there is no need to get over 50W, unless you play cleans which need to be louder than a drummer bashing his heart out.

If you want some more help I will post in here to help you.

Wow you're awesome man.

So okay, a Tube Amp in my price range.

That'll help me a lot for when I go to the city and check amps out.

I'll probably do it saturday or something.

And yeah I'll be playing with distorsion 85% of the time but it'll be okay for me to have low enough a clean volume.

I hate to be redundant, but with all that is posted above i must insist on getting a bit more cash maybe selling the zoom pedal and buying a used Marshall JCM800 combo. Great distortion, decent cleans, all tube. Ive seen many JCM800s go for 250 pounds on ebay.

How did you remember I had a Zoom 607? Hehe.

Anyway I dunno, I just have a bad feeling with Marshalls but I guess I need to test my guitar on a proper one to be sure. Everyone seems to be quite anti-Marshall or at least Pro-Other-brands-than-Marshall.

I'll have a proper look at it once I'm out again.

I hate to be redundant, but with all that is posted above i must insist on getting a bit more cash maybe selling the zoom pedal and buying a used Marshall JCM800 combo. Great distortion, decent cleans, all tube. Ive seen many JCM800s go for 250 pounds on ebay.

How did you remember I had a Zoom 607? Hehe.

Anyway I dunno, I just have a bad feeling with Marshalls but I guess I need to test my guitar on a proper one to be sure. Everyone seems to be quite anti-Marshall or at least Pro-Other-brands-than-Marshall.

I'll have a proper look at it once I'm out again.

Once you wade through the shit amps, they make some good amps.

But the good amps are way more expensive than other brands which are just as good.

• 3 weeks later...

No idea on the Stagg but the spider blows, run away. With the Marshall, check out the model and like i said, if it says "MG" "AVT" or "valvestate" then DO NOT BUY. At the price its most likely one of those.

Try to check out the Vox Valvetronix XL series and the Roland Cube series, both are pretty decent and right up your price range.

I've got this guy who's selling a transistor based Stagg 60W for 350€ and a lamp based Marshall 100W for 500€ or a Line 6 Spider 112 60W for 450€.

Should I look into it?

You should set the Stagg on fire (i'm serious) and check out the Line 6, maybe you'll like it.

The Marshall is wayhay too loud with 100W.

I'm pro-Marshall btw, nothing sounds better than a cranked JCM 800! :P

• 1 month later...

BEHRINGER LX 1200 H + BG 412 V

My friend is telling me that Behringer is a good brand even though I've heard loads of people say their products weren't good. He's just attracted by the price but if it's got shitty clean and worse distorsion, I won't buy it.

My friend is telling me that Behringer is a good brand even though I've heard loads of people say their products weren't good. He's just attracted by the price but if it's got shitty clean and worse distorsion, I won't buy it.

Yeah that amp is terrible.

Yeah that amp is terrible.

behringer is prob the worst sounding guitar amp brand i ever heard

Behringer have never attracted me so I don't think that'll be my next buy.

I've stumbled upon a Kustom head amp but I forgot to take the reference. And I also found a 150 Fender Combo.

I want to build a stack but I can't spend TOO much money on it though...

Behringer have never attracted me so I don't think that'll be my next buy.

I've stumbled upon a Kustom head amp but I forgot to take the reference. And I also found a 150 Fender Combo.

I want to build a stack but I can't spend TOO much money on it though...

Honestly, go combo.

I've had a stack for a year now and it just pisses me off, so I'm moving to a combo.

Only if you're in a doom band will you need 4x12s.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually did go for a stack and I'm pretty glad of it so far, I just really need to gig with it properly to use it to its full potential:

117947.jpg

KUSTOM QUAD 200 HEAD - Exhibition product 245€

117948.jpg

KUSTOM QUAD ST 412 A - New 198€

Marshall MG250DFX its got 2 12's and some sweet effects built in and a footswitch comes with it. easy to use, great tone and amazingly loud as shit. good price for the tone and volume

Possibly worst amp ever. Bought by so many idiots who see Marshall and assume it will be good.