tom delonge epiphone review

CrackedSkye

ok i was able to play the epiphone tom delonge at the local axe shop earlier today.  I aint no yngiew malmsteen, but ive been playing for some time now and would like to think i know a little about guitars and tone....initial impressions.........

the finish was nice...a flat brown and of course the "infamous" creme stripes. im not to keen on hollowbodies, but it looked nice.  I am not very familiar with hollowbodies, but the body felt smaller then a standard es-335.  guitar neck back was unfinished in the back which i prefer.  unplugged, it was nice sounding...loud and full.

plugged in a dsl 401 jcm2000 combo, it was terrible clean. the dirty finger is way to powerful for anything clean. it sounded lifeless..no character. way to much mids and bass coming from the dirty finger. the amp is not known for its clean sound, but the classic channel was useless paired with the guitar.  the ultra channel was different.  The guitar roared and screamed. very nice harmonic response. however, dont expect any retro rock sounds coming from this guitar-i was able to roll the volume down a bit and boost the mids on the amp and get a pretty nice rock tone-but to any real toneaholics it wouldnt pass. Contrary to what everyone says how its perfect for pop punk, i dont think so.  I had a great time busting out boston and KISS riffs. i should also add the tuners suck. im getting tired of writing just wanted to let you guys know what i thought of it. personally, i would not recommend it to anyone.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Higher model Epiphones $400+ are a great value when you dont have $2000 for a Gibson.

True. Obviously, (note my username) I'm going to back up Epiphones :wink:

They are truly great guitars for the price, and an awesome alternative to costly Gibsons. I can't say that I've played the Epi DeLonge yet (guess I gotta take a trip to Alto soon...), but seriously...when you sat down to play that guitar, did you expect to play an Epi, or a Gibson? Because reading your critique, I'd say you judged kind of unfairly...seemed like you wanted to hear Gibson quality out of an Epiphone, which clearly is not going to happen. You even said you liked a lot of the features...

personally, i would not recommend it to anyone.

I think those are pretty harsh words.

But then again, I'm an Epi guy, so don't mind me. :wink:

Higher model Epiphones $400+ are a great value when you dont have $2000 for a Gibson.

True. Obviously, (note my username) I'm going to back up Epiphones :wink:

They are truly great guitars for the price, and an awesome alternative to costly Gibsons. I can't say that I've played the Epi DeLonge yet (guess I gotta take a trip to Alto soon...), but seriously...when you sat down to play that guitar, did you expect to play an Epi, or a Gibson? Because reading your critique, I'd say you judged kind of unfairly...seemed like you wanted to hear Gibson quality out of an Epiphone, which clearly is not going to happen. You even said you liked a lot of the features...

personally, i would not recommend it to anyone.

I think those are pretty harsh words.

But then again, I'm an Epi guy, so don't mind me. :wink:

well i meant there are better epiphones, not saying all epiphones suck

i love my epiphone les paul custom with emg 81's, my favorite guitar ive picked up yet

How does it sound with the EMGS? I was thinking about using a EMG for the neck pickup.

Sounds great for rock and distortion, not too good for clean, i use my strat for clean stuff. I personally like the EMG 81's.