Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brendan on Hiatus

Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

'Ah...Lex'    510

i'm seriously sick of seeing like 30,000 individual recording topics asking the same questions.

so from now on ask your questions in here or do a search.

lol

my bad

Sasquatch!    0

so i just bought a yamaha mixer at guitar center, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ixer?sku=630048

the guy there said that i cood only record 2 tracks at a time because i have a Line 6 tone port UX2. is this true? because i'm trying to record drums and i would like to have each mic(i will probably be using 4 mics on the drums maybe 5) on a seperate track, is this possible?

tom18222    50

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MG102-Stereo-Mixer?sku=630048 thats what i got. but people are telling me i need a new soundcard with inputs to record seperate tracks with wat i got now.

yeah, its true.  regular soundcards have one input(line in)

they dont have enough inputs to record individual tracks, just 1.

my q10 on the other hand, i have 8 mic inputs  :mrgreen:

all individual tracks.

L8mer    0

I recommend Cool edit pro or adobe audition, cus cubase is far too advanced...

When I record I get too much pick scrapping and I don't know how not to get it, so anyone got advice?

I got a condenser mic set up by 12th fret and sort of aiming to the hole, if that's any help. Thanks!

juice182    34

so uhhh... my friend wants to buy some basic recording stuff tomorrow and he wants me to go with him.

you think if he buys:

a condenser mic

an audio interface + Mixer (im pretty sure that exists)

he already has an amp and a guitar obviously.

is that stuff good or does he need anything else i missed?

Jim    1

If you want some cheap and basic stuff that sounds badass, check out the Zoom stuff. Right now i own the Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, a little recorder/soundcard that kicks ass. I've made a few songs with it that I'll upload later. I'm putting it all together with Audacity, and it works fine for me.

Synic918    0

What I've done in the past is use the Toneport UX1(which bypasses your soundcard), plugging a Gemini GM-26 mic into it and placing it infront of my amp. I get the exact sound as if I'm just playing with no added crap. It's been a while but from what I remember it didn't sound bad.

Choppy182    0

hey guys i was wondering if getting just a line 6 pod would be ok for rough guitar recording?? i wanna start messing around and dont want to spend a shit load of money at the moment, any other suggestions would be great.

Dean    373

Never used one myself, but to just lay down a guitar track, it should do what you want without a doubt.

i strongly recommend the Pod Studio GX (i have the old version called Line6 Toneport GX) instead. i have it and it's just awesome. the sound you can get out of it is very nice and clean. it's pretty cheap too

check out my cover, i recorded it with it and i did no mixing on it. it's the tone you hear when you play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaSP1rdLaU

My recording equipment consists of
An Alesis multimix8 firewire mixer
an Audix I5 Mic (a good mic for electric guitar and snare drum)
Mxl 990/991  AMAZING mics and affordable too. 990 is great for vocals, 991 is great for overhead stuff.
I use Reaper for all of my editing, REAPER IS AMAZING. It is like a more affordable pro tools.