Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

so i just bought a yamaha mixer at guitar center, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ixer?sku=630048

the guy there said that i cood only record 2 tracks at a time because i have a Line 6 tone port UX2. is this true? because i'm trying to record drums and i would like to have each mic(i will probably be using 4 mics on the drums maybe 5) on a seperate track, is this possible?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MG102-Stereo-Mixer?sku=630048 thats what i got. but people are telling me i need a new soundcard with inputs to record seperate tracks with wat i got now.

yeah, its true.  regular soundcards have one input(line in)

they dont have enough inputs to record individual tracks, just 1.

my q10 on the other hand, i have 8 mic inputs  :mrgreen:

all individual tracks.

• 4 months later...

I recommend Cool edit pro or adobe audition, cus cubase is far too advanced...

When I record I get too much pick scrapping and I don't know how not to get it, so anyone got advice?

I got a condenser mic set up by 12th fret and sort of aiming to the hole, if that's any help. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

so uhhh... my friend wants to buy some basic recording stuff tomorrow and he wants me to go with him.

you think if he buys:

a condenser mic

an audio interface + Mixer (im pretty sure that exists)

he already has an amp and a guitar obviously.

is that stuff good or does he need anything else i missed?

• 11 months later...

If you want some cheap and basic stuff that sounds badass, check out the Zoom stuff. Right now i own the Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, a little recorder/soundcard that kicks ass. I've made a few songs with it that I'll upload later. I'm putting it all together with Audacity, and it works fine for me.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i strongly recommend the Pod Studio GX (i have the old version called Line6 Toneport GX) instead. i have it and it's just awesome. the sound you can get out of it is very nice and clean. it's pretty cheap too

check out my cover, i recorded it with it and i did no mixing on it. it's the tone you hear when you play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaSP1rdLaU

• 5 years later...

My recording equipment consists of
An Alesis multimix8 firewire mixer
an Audix I5 Mic (a good mic for electric guitar and snare drum)
Mxl 990/991  AMAZING mics and affordable too. 990 is great for vocals, 991 is great for overhead stuff.
I use Reaper for all of my editing, REAPER IS AMAZING. It is like a more affordable pro tools.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:Has anyone actually ever gone in and spent money on studio time?  It seems expensive and awkward to me, but damn would it up your chances with everything you'd have to think.

Yes. Many times.

I’ve also recorded and engineered in a professional studio. The last one was the same studio that Of Monsters and Men recorded their albums. The equipment is so expensive its crazy. And needs constant maintenance. 

Studios can have a mixing desk that costs 200.000 dollars and filled with equipment where each costs thousands of dollars. I’ve worked on a SSL mixer and its worth the price. 

On top of that is the price for the engineer. So i’d say a normal price for a professional studio is probably around 120$ + engineer. Then mixing. 

If its an album theres most likely a package deal. 

When songs are recorded and engineered well, with proper equipment it will be easy to mix. Really easy. Dont go and think the mix engineer will make it sound good. Shit in shit out. 

28 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Yes. Many times.

I’ve also recorded and engineered in a professional studio. The last one was the same studio that Of Monsters and Men recorded their albums. The equipment is so expensive its crazy. And needs constant maintenance. 

Studios can have a mixing desk that costs 200.000 dollars and filled with equipment where each costs thousands of dollars. I’ve worked on a SSL mixer and its worth the price. 

On top of that is the price for the engineer. So i’d say a normal price for a professional studio is probably around 120$ + engineer. Then mixing. 

When songs are recorded and engineered well, with proper equipment it will be easy to mix. Really easy. Dont go and think the mix engineer will make it sound good. Shit in shit out. 

It's disturbing how many it is that don't believe this is true, or think that there is a workaround somehow. There really isn't. 
Also, if the musicians aren't that good it doesn't matter how good of equipment you have to work with. Shit in...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reginald said:

Yes. Many times.

All good info. My roommate once dropped everything, got a sound engineer degree, opened up a studio as his dream and while that's cool and all my God is he broke and struggling for years now.  He's kind of lazy/sloppy too so I just don't see how that can work as your lead engineer.  Unless you just want to record high school bands.

But it seems you have to go in one to make it now unless your really good live act gets you noticed somewhere. Someone's self recorded/produced/mixed will never get picked up by a radio or anything, too much of that out there.  I was just getting the idea from reading about that Amy Shark chick, she kept going in a studio and then eventually a song got picked up by radio there and got her semi-big.  Seems like you have to nowadays to go anywhere, assuming your music is worth a damn.  Too many friends I know will spend endless hours trying to do it themselves, push SoundCloud/Bandcamp/etc from their own mixes.

But a guy I met does $50/hr and has a really good track record, bright guy/not a douche.