Fender/Squier

royal.

I can play' date=' but im not great.

I mean, I taught my self bass...

And I watched my friend play guitar, one day i just picked it up and started playin stuff, he let me borrow his accoustic, and I got well.

So im self taught, so perhaps something along the lines of a Fender isnt worth it yet?

Whats dif between Fender and Squire in terms of playing and sound?[/quote']

fender=good

squier=suck

fenders are better quality, better build, and better everything

squiers are made in indonesia or some other crappy country and they use really crappy materiels.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should probably play some of the squires before you make fun of them. Many of the squires are actually really nice guitars. You just have to try a bunch out before you buy.

i have played squiers, i had a squier bass, it was serious shit, it was one of the reasons i stopped enjoying playing bass. the only squier that i hear is worth getting is that one w/ the strat body and the old school pbass pickguard. i just feel that its better to start off w/ a cheap fender, cause in the long run you're just gonna wind up spending more $$$. i mean say you send $200 on a squier, but you decide you really do enjoy playing guitar and wanna upgrade to a reg. fender std. strat and spend another $350-$400, thats already near $500 or $600. as opposed to just starting out w/ a good fender that you can mod if you decide you wanna upgrade. thats just my belief.

or you can take the $250 squire, and when you get a bit better upgrade the pickups, tuners, and nut. Then you have a better guitar then an MIM. Most Squiers have Basswood bodies, which are also used on the much higher up Japaneese Fenders, I'll admit, the pots and switches are kinda shoddy but many of the new Squiers use AlNiCO magnets in their pickups which is what Seymour Duncan actually uses on MANY of their pickups. The necks don't have as fine of a grain on them, but they are just as strong, the nut is the same as the ones on the American strats. It might not be cut as well, but that can be fixed. Just find a squier that doesn't have sharp fret edges (which can actually be fixed VERY easily as well) and you should be all set. Get a setup and you'll have a great playing guitar.

Guest iameric

word jonesie

i was actually going to rec. this a while ago, take your guitar in and get your fret edges rolled and smoothed out if needed so. it is sooo much more comfortable. even if your neck plays great, this still helps a noticable/enjoyable amount. i think it was like $15 when i had it done.

especially if it's a squire/mim cause some frets are super duper sharp and project so far outward, that i don't see how people don't slice their hands open on them.

Guest iameric

there isn't a whole lot of variation between most of the squire line, just get the best you can afford, and upgrade it later w/ new tuners/nut/frets smoothed/pickups/whatever you want.

it's all personal preference, a couple years ago i would have sworn by the strat, but lately i've been liking the telecaster, BUT, i actually even prefer the sg over all.

p.s. i'd rec. getting a small/low wattage amp. also, playing your guitar through your bass amp is quite fine. but it's when you play your bass through your guitar amp is when you can run into problems because guitar amps are not made to handle all that bass has to offer.

Most of the musicians these days are mainly Les Paul Players or Strat Players, all custom of course..

So i mean, why not be a lil dif and go with the tele?

I know alot of bands use teles but i rarelys see them.

Guest iameric

no, he's probably talking about the american or american deluxe tele. the strats are at the same level as the teles, and also are equal to gibsons high end line up also, it's all personal preference though.

no' date=' he's probably talking about the american or american deluxe tele. the strats are at the same level as the teles, and also are equal to gibsons high end line up also, it's all personal preference though.[/quote']

lol actually im talking about the standard..but yeah, fender

Guest iameric

the mim standard? or mia standard?

cause i think although the gibson's standards cost more than fender's, they match up pretty equally, but the mim isn't really close at all.

i'm sure ill get flamed for this, but

IMO

Tele > Gibson LP

keywords IMO

but honestly, i just dont want to spend that much money when i can get one that looks like it and is a quality LP..ill take a Epi but i love my TEles

no' date=' he's probably talking about the american or american deluxe tele. the strats are at the same level as the teles, and also are equal to gibsons high end line up also, it's all personal preference though.[/quote']

squires are equal to gibsons?

Guest aBitOverObsessed

No lol, he's talking about the Fender American Deluxe models, they are around £500-600 here, don't have a clue over there though.

My school has a squier tele, its pretty cool for what it is. I say buy it, but go to your local store and try out a squier strat, tele and whatever your mum or dad can afford. Pick the one you like best, I'm pretty sure thats gonna be the tele, because your already set on getting that one anyway. Just try some to make sure *thumbs up* I had a squier strat for my first guitar 4 years ago :D was a good starting guitar, bit big for my 11year old hands back then lol. I prefer Gibson/Epiphone size frets, Fender's medium jumbos are too much for me lol.

Guest iameric

no, squire's an entry level guitar. they're not bad, but gibsons are one of the top brands. it's really personal preference though. what i say may suck you may find awesome, but i highly doubt a $100-300 guitar will = a $700+ guitar