The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

In my movie I shot an actor improvised how she thought Britney shaving her head was the most punk rock act of the past decade. 

IT WAS ICONIC and so indicative of the times god dammit it was beautiful. No one has had a life like hers since.

• Like 1

Britney's Blackout record was actually ahead of its time and influenced a new kind of pop music around 2008 when there was a shift from mid 00s pop to the early 10s pop.

I actually like some songs from Britney. I feel uncomfortable to say it actually. I gues everyone has guilty pleasures.

EDIT: And she lost weight and got really fit again....she looks great for her age now

BTW....That new Katy Perry song ''Chained To The Rhythm'' is a banger. Never liked her stuff but i adore the 80s feeling.

Also: The Weeknd: I Feel It Coming Feat. Daft Punk / Taylor Swift: Style. I like that kind of pop music we hear since 2015. Loving the retro vibes. There is some kind of groove again....it really sucks you into the beat of the music.

Early 00s pop is also great...huge nostalgia factor. Pop from 2006 - 2013 is what i hate for the most part though. Very stale...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jordidanen95 said:

Britney's Blackout record was actually ahead of its time and influenced a new kind of pop music around 2008 when there was a shift from mid 00s pop to the early 10s pop.

I actually like some songs from Britney. I feel uncomfortable to say it actually. I gues everyone has guilty pleasures.

EDIT: And she lost weight and got really fit again....she looks great for her age now

Feel zero guilt. Living legend

• Like 1

Does anyone know whatever happened with Antemasque? I thought Travis did some great stuff from what I saw on YouTube. They did an album, even posted a picture from the set of a video on instagram...and then nothing. Does anyone know what's happening with that, or did Cedric and Omar just say "fuck it, let's just reboot at the drive in instead"? Was looking forward to hearing the album.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

Feel zero guilt. Living legend

It is cool to look back at early 2000s 'legends'.  They felt bigger than current stars aside from Bieber some years back...that was obviously being young, but I felt they marketed stars back then in such a godly way.  And they didn't have twitter so we didn't see ALL their lives and thoughts displayed, only their epic as hell music videos during the music video era.

Remember 98 degrees?  I randomly came across their stuff again and realized how freaking good their lead singer actually was and ppl just made fun of them because they weren't backstreet or nsync

good times

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

It is cool to look back at early 2000s 'legends'.  They felt bigger than current stars aside from Bieber some years back...that was obviously being young, but I felt they marketed stars back then in such a godly way.  And they didn't have twitter so we didn't see ALL their lives and thoughts displayed, only their epic as hell music videos during the music video era.

Remember 98 degrees?  I randomly came across their stuff again and realized how freaking good their lead singer actually was and ppl just made fun of them because they weren't backstreet or nsync

good times

So true!!

- The late 90s and early 00s saw the rise of boybands and teen superstars like never before. Overnight succes on such a massive scale...looking back you could see the 00s were the era where marketing became different and with the whole boy group/teenage pop singer stardom. things like reality shows and making people famous just because.

- This was the last era before the modern internet took over in the mid-late 00s. There was still a wall between the artists and the fans. If you wanted to see a music video in the early 00s.......you turned on the tv and had no control when it would air. You could not look up interviews and other social stuff like we can now. You knew the face and the voice....but had no idea what kind of person was really behind it.

This was even more so back in the 80s. The artists had something mysterious and they felt like non-humans.....more like gods in a way. (Madonna and MJ)

this started to change with the birth of youtube in 05...but started to REALLY change by around 2008. (I feel like 07 was the last real 00s year and 08,09 was such a transition period to where we are now). Anyway....Everything we want to watch is now 1 click away....thats crazy. We really feel like we know all the artists now. I also think the bussiness changed quick and there are lots of humble popstars out there. Ed Sheeran being a great example of that. The people can help someone get famous instead of only a marketing team.

Sorry for the long as post though. I find this really interesting and amazing how social media and the internet changed the whole game.

I remember seeing this pepsi commercial in the early 00s as a child....Different times. Imagine seeing something like this now in 2017. It would feel so out of place.....like crazy.

Yeah the internet was only this really cool new thing back in those times.  Now it's our lives.  Super fucked how quickly that happened.  

In regards to stardom. I think marketing and advertising just had more talent in general as well.  Now everything seems quick & lazy, because no one has attention spans anyways.

Now we have an entire generation of people who don't remember a time without the internet. It is crazy.

The internet does amazing things but also has some negative effects IMO. I kind of miss the days when it was harder to get Blink info (or any band). It was a different feeling.

There is this theory that goes around the  millennial generation has a lot of lazy people in it because they are use to everything being NOW, and the things that they get at the click of a button, aren't really worth chasing. Obviously that is a generalization and there are some really talented millennials out there.

But like there is a millennial couple who bought a house next to me. Never have I seen more lazy people in my life. If they don't cut their fucking yard soon, I am going to file a complaint.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, _Kyle_ said:

If they're millennials owning a house, they probably are lazy from being rich or too tired from working 7 jobs...

also Oliver, you're a millennial right?

Don't know, but they put their garbage out for Tuesday collection and by Friday the fucking cans are still at the curb and they leave the bags at the garage. Meanwhile I see them sitting on their ass on the back porch. They are also the most unfriendly people, anything outside their internet world doesn't matter. They will write comments on our community facebook, but have difficulty saying "hello". It is classic millennial behavior.

I am generation X. I am right on the cusp, but I identify more with it because 9/11 was college years not high school, the early 90's are fairly clear to me (not to most millennials.) I do have identity crisi with some of the things, but I am more Generation X, and technically fall into that by about a year.

7 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

So true!!

- The late 90s and early 00s saw the rise of boybands and teen superstars like never before. Overnight succes on such a massive scale...looking back you could see the 00s were the era where marketing became different and with the whole boy group/teenage pop singer stardom. things like reality shows and making people famous just because.

- This was the last era before the modern internet took over in the mid-late 00s. There was still a wall between the artists and the fans. If you wanted to see a music video in the early 00s.......you turned on the tv and had no control when it would air. You could not look up interviews and other social stuff like we can now. You knew the face and the voice....but had no idea what kind of person was really behind it.

This was even more so back in the 80s. The artists had something mysterious and they felt like non-humans.....more like gods in a way. (Madonna and MJ)

this started to change with the birth of youtube in 05...but started to REALLY change by around 2008. (I feel like 07 was the last real 00s year and 08,09 was such a transition period to where we are now). Anyway....Everything we want to watch is now 1 click away....thats crazy. We really feel like we know all the artists now. I also think the bussiness changed quick and there are lots of humble popstars out there. Ed Sheeran being a great example of that. The people can help someone get famous instead of only a marketing team.

Sorry for the long as post though. I find this really interesting and amazing how social media and the internet changed the whole game.

I remember seeing this pepsi commercial in the early 00s as a child....Different times. Imagine seeing something like this now in 2017. It would feel so out of place.....like crazy.

Fuck me them 3 in Thier prime were fucking hot!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Don't know, but they put their garbage out for Tuesday collection and by Friday the fucking cans are still at the curb and they leave the bags at the garage. Meanwhile I see them sitting on their ass on the back porch. They are also the most unfriendly people, anything outside their internet world doesn't matter. They will write comments on our community facebook, but have difficulty saying "hello". It is classic millennial behavior.

I am generation X. I am right on the cusp, but I identify more with it because 9/11 was college years not high school, the early 90's are fairly clear to me (not to most millennials.) I do have identity crisi with some of the things, but I am more Generation X, and technically fall into that by about a year.

I mean, that's just some people. I know people in every generation who are like that. Shyness isn't generational imo.

Also, my sister was born in 82 and is considered to be a millennial. I thought you guys were about the same age.....she also clings to Gen X but really, shes a damn millennial 

11 hours ago, bobbo11290 said:

Does anyone know whatever happened with Antemasque? I thought Travis did some great stuff from what I saw on YouTube. They did an album, even posted a picture from the set of a video on instagram...and then nothing. Does anyone know what's happening with that, or did Cedric and Omar just say "fuck it, let's just reboot at the drive in instead"? Was looking forward to hearing the album.

I was looking forward to that album as well, the album was done before the California sessions so I don't know what the hold up is. It's one of the main things I'm going to ask him about next week at the meet and greet.

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I mean, that's just some people. I know people in every generation who are like that. Shyness isn't generational imo.

Also, my sister was born in 82 and is considered to be a millennial. I thought you guys were about the same age.....she also clings to Gen X but really, shes a damn millennial 

The experiences of early millennials and late millennials are so different, they almost shouldn't be considered the same generation. That's probably true to some extent for all generations, but I think technology changed more quickly between the early 80s and late 90s (and beyond) than in the '70s and earlier.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm technically a millennial, but I didn't even have a cell phone until my senior year of HS. No internet at my house until like 7th grade. Growing up without the core tenets of the generation kind of disconnects me.

People only a few years younger than me display more of the usual millennial stereotypes imo

• Like 2

I feel like it is a generational thing Kyle because I can remember a time when neighbors would socialize with each other and become friends.

Now people bury their heads in facebook.

Obviously, there are exceptions of all kinds. But I remember the 80's and early 90's in my neighborhood, it was SOOOOO different, and when I moved in to my house the old timers would tell me how they use to have social events at the pool every single week and how everyone knew everyone else. Now if you get like 5 people there, that is a shocker.

Again, let me reiterate, this is a generalization of a generation. But generally speaking, it is true. Tee Hee.

• Like 1