The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

6 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Seems weird to me. Like saying, Love Freddie Mercury but hate his Queen influence, Love John Lennon, but hate his Beatles influence.

AK3 pretty much defines Skiba in terms of music, he isn't Dave Grohl, so it is very odd to me that you are happy with Skiba, but not his music.

Skiba has a wider spectrum of influences than it seems on a first sight. Reducing AK3 to a 'goth' sound is ridiculous. Proof that somebody barely listened to them.

I mean, same thing as saying blink is only that pop-rock boy band which ran naked and sung dick joke songs.

• Like 2

I guess it's the same as saying wanting Tom in the band but not wanting him to bring his AVA sound to Blink which I fully agree with. Me personally, I WANT Skiba to bring his alk3 style into the song writing process but I can understand others wanting Blink to stay as true to their sound as possible. 

Listened to Parking Lot again today, might be the worst song they've released ever - no idea why they led with that as the first deluxe track. 

Misery and 6/8 still have something to offer me though, although I do fear I'm more searching for the things I like in those songs rather than naturally liking them. 

I fear I'd dismiss them and not bother listening to them again if they wasn't blink. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

Listened to Parking Lot again today, might be the worst song they've released ever - no idea why they led with that as the first deluxe track. 

Misery and 6/8 still have something to offer me though, although I do fear I'm more searching for the things I like in those songs rather than naturally liking them. 

I fear I'd dismiss them and not bother listening to them again if they wasn't blink. 

TOMBOT. 

I just don't get Misery. like Parking Lot is ridiculous but I can understand why people like it (and why people hate it) it's not something I'd go back to but its nowhere near as bad as say Sober or Shes Out Of Her Mind. at least to me anyway, its bad because it sounds like terrible modern pop punk, not bad for just being bad if that makes sense.

Misery however is just... so unfathomably boring. just boring. there is absolutely nothing worth listening to about it, it feels like I've missed the boat a little because everyone seems to at least kind of like it but I can't actually sit through it, it's boring. demands zero attention.

6/8 I like a lot, more than most of California, and I've listened to it a few times. it's got some obvious flaws but I can look past them. 

17 hours ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Seems like we may be heading into a direction where there's something for everybody at least.  There's no reason typical pop-punk blink songs can't coexist on an album with "darker" or "experimental" songs like 6/8.

I wouldn't call "Parking Lot" a typical pop punk blink song. 

32 minutes ago, Kay said:

I just don't get Misery. like Parking Lot is ridiculous but I can understand why people like it (and why people hate it) it's not something I'd go back to but its nowhere near as bad as say Sober or Shes Out Of Her Mind. at least to me anyway, its bad because it sounds like terrible modern pop punk, not bad for just being bad if that makes sense.

Misery however is just... so unfathomably boring. just boring. there is absolutely nothing worth listening to about it, it feels like I've missed the boat a little because everyone seems to at least kind of like it but I can't actually sit through it, it's boring. demands zero attention.

6/8 I like a lot, more than most of California, and I've listened to it a few times. it's got some obvious flaws but I can look past them. 

You know, one of the biggest differences between blinks music pre-hiatus and post-hiatus it seems is (especially with cali and deluxe, but somewhat with neighborhoods too) is that fan reactions to the songs are SO skewed. Like, I think most of us love feelin this or reckless abandon or don't leave me. Then you take a song like parking lot and you have people like me that feel it's the worst blink song ever written (literally), but then somehow there's people that love it. Idk, just an observation.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Smalls said:

You know, one of the biggest differences between blinks music pre-hiatus and post-hiatus it seems is (especially with cali and deluxe, but somewhat with neighborhoods too) is that fan reactions to the songs are SO skewed. Like, I think most of us love feelin this or reckless abandon or don't leave me. Then you take a song like parking lot and you have people like me that feel it's the worst blink song ever written (literally), but then somehow there's people that love it. Idk, just an observation.

No I think its a good point actually. like Untitled did cause issues and there are people (its rarer, but they exist) who have massive issues with that record in particular, but for the most part people like most of pre hiatus blink. theres a level of preference, but most people seem to just blanketly like most of it, and only dislike one or two songs. 

but with AVA, +44, fractured neighborhoods, and sham-fest California, its nothing but split opinions. I think it's just that they've changed so much in that time, for good and for bad, that people are drawn to different aspects. plus we all grew up on the older stuff, so maybe its harder to accept change. or something. idk. 

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

No I think its a good point actually. like Untitled did cause issues and there are people (its rarer, but they exist) who have massive issues with that record in particular, but for the most part people like most of pre hiatus blink. theres a level of preference, but most people seem to just blanketly like most of it, and only dislike one or two songs. 

but with AVA, +44, fractured neighborhoods, and sham-fest California, its nothing but split opinions. I think it's just that they've changed so much in that time, for good and for bad, that people are drawn to different aspects. plus we all grew up on the older stuff, so maybe its harder to accept change. or something. idk. 

You're right, generally it's hard to find those who don't like anything prior to 2003, or at the very least 90% of their output at that point.

23 minutes ago, Kay said:

I think it simply comes down to the fact that blink-182 wrote much better songs up until 2003 than they have done since.

• Like 3

I couldn't get behind Parking Lot. Intro reminds me too much of an ADTR song and I can't get past the lyrics. I don't go to blink for lyrical masterpieces but it is so typical and generic to me. I actually dig Misery, especially Matt's vocal performance on it. I thought it was pretty meh until the The "I Don't Need Anyone" hook came in again and gave the song an extra push. But compared to pre-hiatus blink, and hell, compared to NBHDs or DED, it isn't up to par. 6/8 reminds me of From First to Last, Skrillex's old band. I also saw some people compare it to The Used and I hear that too. I like that the lyrics actually seem thought out, but still not my jam. Overall, my standards with the band are a lot lower than they used to be, but I'll take the few gems like Cynical or The Only Thing That Matters that we will get. 

• Like 1

I only want 2 things from blink

1. Progressive heartfelt music. Big themes that connect songs with eachother. (Like the piano/guitar theme through Self-titled). The selftitled record is full of great parts like the Violence bridge..Very melancholic. Stockholm Syndrome instrumental bridge with the palm muting, 16th hi-hat stuff and mark's screaming part. Always 80s synths during the second verse. Its full of artistic moments that grab your attention. This is why i love the ''Hey, I'm Sorry'' verses. The piano plays a few notes everytime that give me this melancholic feeling. With those lyrics over it...it just creates some sort of feeling that i freaking love.

2. A production that fits.

- Neighborhoods had cool ideas but it sounded so dull and ''not right''. It draws me out of the music. It doesn't hit me at all.

- California overdid it. It sounds fucking big but its so glossy and way too compressed that it also doesn't hit me like Self-titled did. And the subject matter doesn't work for me.

I want good heartfelt music that is creative. If they stick to this sound that they have now...Then i'm just going to listen to The Weeknd and Taylor Swift cause they actually make big music productions that actually go with the style.

My hype for the deluxe is now 4/10. I still like Cali but apart from ''hey, Im Sorry'' everything so far from the deluxe sucks.

They are buttfucking me i swear. Finally we get a darker blink song (6/8). But with a guitar intro that could go on sum41's ''Screaming Bloody Murder''. And then the chorus comes in and it sounds like an angry sailor song in that 6/8 beat with such a dad melody. Its such a bad song.

I'm gonna play WYHSB and Self-titled so much when the deluxe comes out...fuck.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I think it simply comes down to the fact that blink-182 wrote much better songs up until 2003 than they have done since.

Yeah, but I feel like great songwriting needs perfect conditions. Its rare, and even the best songwriters can lose the ability to do it. I am pretty sure there are people who have written amazing songs and later killed themselves (indirectly with drugs) when they lost "it".

One must admit that Blink songwriting conditions have been totally fucked up with to the point of being unrecognizable, so it kind of makes sense.

3 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Fully agree. Fucking hate Parking Lot, so bad.

Sooo T minus ~10 days or so until we get a Deluxe Leak? =) 

I understand the complaints on Parking Lot but if you just listen to the instruments and ignore Mark's line it's a fun song IMO. I jammed out to all 4 deluxe songs last night at the gym and loved them. 6/8 is a straight banger IMO, and yes I laughed at Mark's pregnant joke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Yeah, but I feel like great songwriting needs perfect conditions. Its rare, and even the best songwriters can lose the ability to do it. I am pretty sure there are people who have written amazing songs and later killed themselves (indirectly with drugs) when they lost "it".

One must admit that Blink songwriting conditions have been totally fucked up with to the point of being unrecognizable, so it kind of makes sense.

I think a lot of songwriters peak at one point and they can write great songs regardless of genre or write different sounding songs in just one even, see Blink or Bob Dylan. Dylan would basically just play folk and blues songs with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica and wrote timeless classic. And then the songwriter will go into a phase where they lose inspiration and need to try new things to get that inspiration back. This works for a lot of people, see The Clash (London Calling), Blink (S/T), the Beatles (Sgt. Peppers? or Revolver?), the Beach Boys (Today-Pet Sounds) and Dylan (Bring it all Back home-Blonde on Blonde) And then they come to a point that they have been so focused on style and wanting to make something different that they lose track and they've lost themselves and every song will feel the same and they come a to a point where they need to re invent themselves again, basically by going back to the roots and pretending to what they were in their peak and sometimes this work as the songs are great, but other times they just sound like tedious parodies of themselves and every step they make becomes wrong. 

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

Sooo T minus ~10 days or so until we get a Deluxe Leak? =) 

I understand the complaints on Parking Lot but if you just listen to the instruments and ignore Mark's line it's a fun song IMO. I jammed out to all 4 deluxe songs last night at the gym and loved them. 6/8 is a straight banger IMO, and yes I laughed at Mark's pregnant joke. 

I can't ignore those terrible guitars and drums no matter how hard I try though. 

• Like 1