The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Maybe John Feldman should ask himself "what does ska music sound like in 2017? What does GOLDFINGER sound like in 2017?" 

I remember hearing Story of the Year's first album, Page Avenue, and thought "wow these riffs are so rad, these drums sound so crisp" and hey it's produced by John Feldman, that's the guy from Goldfinger! ... then there's the last song on the album, "Falling Down" and it features good old Feldy on vocals, and it's a pretty sweet track but thee moment I hear him singing over "emo" or "post hardcore" or whatever the fuck the next guy calls it, and it's not ska or "punk enough",  I just skip it. I'm not into it anymore. So maybe Feldy is a lot more like Tom than we know. But instead of midi's on delay pedals and overdosing on synths, Feldy wants to go more aggressive, heavier guitars, faster drums, and gang vocals for choruses. As long as there's passion behind it, I can't rip on it too much...

i guess the guitars sound better than Blink, but the drums sound just as annoying as they do with blink. I guess I think Feldy's voice sounds a bit authentic than Mark's or Skiba's. That chorus is really bad though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thongrider said:

i guess the guitars sound better than Blink, but the drums sound just as annoying as they do with blink. I guess I think Feldy's voice sounds a bit authentic than Mark's or Skiba's. That chorus is really bad though. 

Same production style. Yep. Listen to the cymbals on the chorus, even the charles on the verses. They are compressed as fuck at some level, you can hear how they blow off and cut when it all explodes.

Catchy song, though.

• Like 2

Guitar riff that it's never re-used throughout the song (not evenbefore the second verse) - checked 
Generic lyrics - checked  
Vocal bridge - checked 
Compressed drums & overproduction  - checked 
Gang vocals - checked 
Whoas - checked 

There's more guitar work than any other song in California though. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Guitar riff that it's never re-used throughout the song (not evenbefore the second verse) - checked 
Generic lyrics - checked  
Vocal bridge - checked 
Compressed drums & overproduction  - checked 
Gang vocals - checked 
Whoas - checked 

There's more guitar work than any other song in California though. 

This literally IS Cali Blink. I see no difference, other than it's a bit edgier with the lyrics.

Starting to think Feldmann writes every song start to finish including vocals then just tells Matt and Mark to sing over it.

The melodies are even identical yikes Feldmann 182

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blink 18Feldmann said:

It's better because it's who Goldfinger is.

But literally at the exact same drums and guitar as California songs.  Same structure, vocal bridge.

You could literally replace vocalists and have the same songs

As with any song ... 

11 hours ago, Chrisx37 said:

New Goldfinger: 

Not gonna lie, it sounds verrry similar to California. lol

Holy Hell, that sucks donkey dick ... If you enjoyed that them you suck donkey dick to and you should kill yourself 'cause you're bringing us all down.

I actually dont mind this.  I think because its goldfinger, we (some of us) think its ok for them to sound like this but if it was blink we wouldnt.  I also think Feldmans voice just works better with this.

But ya this could be a california b-side, so maybe it belongs on the deluxe? Its pretty hillarious to see how similar it is.  Not that it wasnt before, but its pretty obvious Feldman came up with most of the ideas for California pt 1.

• Like 2

dear lord. that's literally california with feldman singing. the rhythm of the guitar in the chorus is bored to death. the vocals in the chorus remind me of the bridge of no future. the drums production sounds exactly like california. the verses sound like parking lot. the second verse transition sounds like the transition into parking lot's second verse. 

it really makes me wonder how much of cali was genuinely written by feldmann....... 

The California sound with the melodyne autotune is great to me. They just made too many mediocre blink 182 songs with it. Im curious how Tom would sound with it

A great sound + great musicians will usually SOUND great, but too much of California just isnt what blink 182 is... but what do you expect without Tom

Reading the youtube comments and its pretty universal that everyone thinks it sounds exactly like blink.

Anyone else find it fishy that he releases this right at the same time theres a lot of talk about Blink releasing a new album? Trying to ride on coattails there much Feldman? Then he makes it sound the exact same too.

• Like 1