The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

I think a huge change was 2010.  In 2009, he was still slimmer and had his punk hair.  In 2010 that changed a lot.  But you're right though about 2012, when he got that flat brimmed hat and new jacket.  Was just watching some of the videos from when AvA toured Europe that year.

Would love to see a genuine non-biased evolution of Tom thread.

If anything he might have tried to be someone other than himself to appeal to fans in that period. 

13 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Early AVA was the most drastic change and there is no way I could ever be convinced otherwise haha. He reappeared from exile with an entirely new personality.

DCQbawo.jpg

I guess wdntw yea but he became pretty normal again in the i empire era so I look back on it differently.

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Early AVA was the most drastic change and there is no way I could ever be convinced otherwise haha. He reappeared from exile with an entirely new personality.

DCQbawo.jpg

I remember thinking wtf is Tom trying to be Bono for? Like it was a conscious choice to change. Then we had him still trying to do 1 or 2 dirty jokes in AVA shows to appease the blink fans he didn't change.

I honestly think after the reunion in 2010 he was a hybrid of Bono-Tom and BCR Tom. Still better than his pain killer addiction when he said AVA was the second coming of Christ. Unless he meant Jesus was ejaculating.

• Like 1

I think there's a lot we don't know in the whole thing, but the more music Blink release without him I feel like I start to see his side of things. It seems to be obvious to me that Tom was the one who contributed the most to the band. Now the others are using professional writers to write their tunes. I mean if there was bad blood between Mark and Tom playing in a band together might not be healthy, especially if he had to be somebody else, even if the one he actually is might be douchy. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, thongrider said:

I think there's a lot we don't know in the whole thing, but the more music Blink release without him I feel like I start to see his side of things. It seems to be obvious to me that Tom was the one who contributed the most to the band. Now the others are using professional writers to write their tunes. I mean if there was bad blood between Mark and Tom playing in a band together might not be healthy, especially if he had to be somebody else, even if the one he actually is might be douchy. 

Yeah I can definitely see his side more now when it comes to strictly music-related things (I'll never understand his personality changes and abandoning Blink multiple times, etc). It seems like beyond all of Tom's annoying traits since 05, he always wanted to move the band forward. And I think it's safe to say Mark was more concerned with staying comfortable, even if it meant retreading old styles and trying to capture 90s/00s magic again. 

I can totally understand both of those views, and I can also totally understand why those views stopped working together, especially after they stopped communicating well. Tom thought Mark was stuck in the past and scared to "try to be the biggest band in the world," which only fueled his idea that Blink was just pop for teenagers, and Mark thought Tom was unrealistic and unappreciative with lame new music taste. Both are probably true to some extent.

When Tom was booted I really expected a rebirth of some kind for Mark, and that he'd kinda let loose for the first time in years and come up with some rad purely unfiltered Hoppus goodness because he wouldn't have to wrangle with Tom's spaciness anymore. And for people who love Cali maybe they got that. But for me the new stuff seems way more stilted and unnatural than anything Mark has ever put out, which sadly makes Tom seem right in thinking Blink was stuck and wasn't able to evolve anymore.

All that being said, I do not like AVA or Tom's demos album, so it's not like just following his lead would have resulted in better music either. I've always been a big believer that their best work BY FAR comes when they work together. But when their communication/friendship broke down over the years we were left with this haha.

• Like 5

Yea tom wanted to move in new directions but if you remember, he wanted blink to be u2. I'm sure if it was a direction more suitable for blink mark would have went with it but obviously Ava's first record is what tom wanted blink to be and clearly mark wasn't having that. Which I don't blame him I can't stand Ava personally lol. However there's a million different ways you could mature the sound of blink and it would still work. Hell bcr was the perfect fit for them but tom got weird.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah I can definitely see his side more now when it comes to strictly music-related things (I'll never understand his personality changes and abandoning Blink multiple times, etc). It seems like beyond all of Tom's annoying traits since 05, he always wanted to move the band forward. And I think it's safe to say Mark was more concerned with staying comfortable, even if it meant retreading old styles and trying to capture 90s/00s magic again. 

I can totally understand both of those views, and I can also totally understand why those views stopped working together, especially after they stopped communicating well. Tom thought Mark was stuck in the past and scared to "try to be the biggest band in the world," which only fueled his idea that Blink was just pop for teenagers, and Mark thought Tom was unrealistic and unappreciative with lame new music taste. Both are probably true to some extent.

When Tom was booted I really expected a rebirth of some kind for Mark, and that he'd kinda let loose for the first time in years and come up with some rad purely unfiltered Hoppus goodness because he wouldn't have to wrangle with Tom's spaciness anymore. And for people who love Cali maybe they got that. But for me the new stuff seems way more stilted and unnatural than anything Mark has ever put out, which sadly makes Tom seem right in thinking Blink was stuck and wasn't able to evolve anymore.

All that being said, I do not like AVA or Tom's demos album, so it's not like just following his lead would have resulted in better music either. I've always been a big believer that their best work BY FAR comes when they work together. But when their communication/friendship broke down over the years we were left with this haha.

This is, by far, the most accurate interpretation of what I've been trying to articulate for months now. Bravo.

I don't think blink will ever be truly firing on all cylinders ever again. It's over. The magic is gone. A complete breakdown of communication and lost friendships.

As for AVA, I don't think we can easily say blink would've put out WDNTW as it is. In fact I think the problem with almost every one of those songs is they could've used a little +44 magic. Could've rivaled Untitled if WYHSB and WDNTW had a baby. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Champ182 said:

this is such a great post. i agree 1000x. particularly about how maybe tom was right, which is so embarrassing. i thought once he got the boot we'd be in for, like you said, prime mark hoppus or something, but instead this music he's contributed to is just bad for the most part. it's confusing that the same guy who poured his soul into WYHSB is content to sit back and shit out cali. i thought he was better than that honestly. i honestly think he's just mellowing cause he's getting older and writer's block has given way to laziness. which is even worse, cause that's translated into a new relevancy for the band: a number one album, a well-performing single, a grammy nod... it's outrageous

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Champ182 said:

That's what I thought would happen when Matt joined. There was so much possibilities they could go with. They could've made an alternative album with a fusion of +44 and a tinge of Heaven's/AK3 that could have easily rivaled Untitled. My other idea was that they would made a dark punk album they have never done before, based off when they covered a Misfits song at their first show.

9 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Truth.

happy bday dude ranch!!!! holy cow that's crazy it's been 20 years. wasn't there talk of the band doing something special for it?

anyway, here's mark and tom on release day mocking dude ranch being in the metal section at a long-dead virgin megastore:

ej4wJgV.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

It's amazing how much neglect blink is able to show nowadays. A special album as Due Ranch turning 20 and, hey, no celebration.

A bit sad but not surprising given how 2/3 members aren't in the band anymore and 95% of "fans" these days just know Dammit.

Would be like celebrating the 20th Anniversary of your previous marriage with your new wife lol.

But, it would be an easy cash grab to release a limited press or some associated merch!

• Like 1

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/music-interview-matt-skiba-of-blink-182-on-anniversaries-accolades-and-song-writing-inspiration-1-8595995

Sounds like Skiba doesn't really care about Alkaline Trio anymore.

Regarding the future of Blink-182, Skiba reveals that after their UK tour the trio plan to go back into the studio “and doing it all over again, making another record”. “I’m going to be doing Blink-182 and Blink-182 alone for quite some time, I hope. I’m really blessed that I have Alkaline Trio that is more of a cult punk band with my friends I grew up with. Blink is a band I joined. One’s not better than the other, they’re just different.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

A bit sad but not surprising given how 2/3 members aren't in the band anymore and 95% of "fans" these days just know Dammit.

Would be like celebrating the 20th Anniversary of your previous marriage with your new wife lol.

But, it would be an easy cash grab to release a limited press or some associated merch!

Well, not exactly, specially when they've been living out off of their own legacy. Even with Skiba, hahaha. I know they're not that much into their previous Enema stuff, but, I mean... Dude Ranch was an important album. We're not talking here about celebrating Flyswatter, hahaha.

I mean, I think the album deserves its own revission. And, maybe, some bonus shit. But well... we all know blink never was a band which did such things, except for the Untitled anniversary tour.