The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 minutes ago, Boring.........Alright said:

My parents have Apple music and it is amazing. Again though, wouldn't some albums slip through the cracks that used to be part of the rotation? There are songs that come up on shuffle I have totally forgotten about which gets me into those albums again. With the streaming services you have to think of what you want to listen to beforehand. Both methods work just depends on the personal perference. Plus I have an Ipod (Not sure if they even still exist anymore) which I just use an Aux cable for my car it's real easy. 

Not sure what you mean, like are you worried you'll never listen to your favorite albums again? You can still manually load playlists/albums on your phone if you want, but Apple Music has pretty much every album. (Other than some Kanye/Beyonce/Taylor Swift stuff I think). But you can always instantly listen to any Blink or whatever you want. I have an aux chord in my car as well, so when new albums come out I just download them to my phone so I can play them "offline" (and not use cellular data), and as soon as I get in my car I plug it in and listen. If the album sucks, you can delete it to free up space.

For only $10/month it's pretty crazy because you have pretty much every old album, and every new album that comes out instantly. No ads, no hoping a song gets played, etc. It's literally like you bought it and it's sitting in your music library on your phone. 

So for example, 311 had a new album out last week, previously I would either pay $14 for it through iTunes, or go to Target, buy the CD, then rip it to iTunes, then sync my phone. Or on bands I didn't really care for, I'd have to find a download online, then import to iTunes, sync to phone, burn to CD, etc. With Apple Music I downloaded it in about 10 seconds and it was on my phone ready to listen. It's just so much more efficient, legal, and great to listen to so much different music as opposed to just listening to the same stuff over and over IMO. Of course I still jam to my favorite albums/songs when in the mood, but I'm really enjoying diversifying my intake. 

41 minutes ago, FightingTheGravity said:

Theres no ad/commercial in the video I posted!  And if you cut your internet after the video has already loaded it will still play! like magic!

Trust me...try premium Spotify for a month and you never wanna go without it. 

3 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Trust me...try premium Spotify for a month and you never wanna go without it. 

I used to love Spotify. You know it used to be entirely free and you could play any song in existence?  I knew that wouldn't last and I don't blame them but I simply don't feel like paying for it anymore when there are ways around it.  I also have an abundance of CDs, yes discs, that I listen to just as frequently as streamed music.

I also like Pandora type services, so I can discover new songs. 

6 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

Not sure what you mean, like are you worried you'll never listen to your favorite albums again? You can still manually load playlists/albums on your phone if you want, but Apple Music has pretty much every album. (Other than some Kanye/Beyonce/Taylor Swift stuff I think). But you can always instantly listen to any Blink or whatever you want. I have an aux chord in my car as well, so when new albums come out I just download them to my phone so I can play them "offline" (and not use cellular data), and as soon as I get in my car I plug it in and listen. If the album sucks, you can delete it to free up space.

For only $10/month it's pretty crazy because you have pretty much every old album, and every new album that comes out instantly. No ads, no hoping a song gets played, etc. It's literally like you bought it and it's sitting in your music library on your phone. 

So for example, 311 had a new album out last week, previously I would either pay $14 for it through iTunes, or go to Target, buy the CD, then rip it to iTunes, then sync my phone. Or on bands I didn't really care for, I'd have to find a download online, then import to iTunes, sync to phone, burn to CD, etc. With Apple Music I downloaded it in about 10 seconds and it was on my phone ready to listen. It's just so much more efficient, legal, and great to listen to so much different music as opposed to just listening to the same stuff over and over IMO. Of course I still jam to my favorite albums/songs when in the mood, but I'm really enjoying diversifying my intake. 

I just mean i have so much music on my iTunes some albums that i like but aren't my favorites I'll just forget about them from time to time then a song will come on shuffle and I'll be like oh yeah shit this is a good song haven't listened to it on awhile where with spotify I would never search for said song/album. 

Can we at least pivot this discussion to more about Dude Ranch and less about the most optimal way to listen to Dude Ranch?

I'm truly starting to think it's their magnus opus. I always thought Enema or Self Titled...but the more I listen to Dude Ranch, front to back, this is them at their purest and truest. The album flows so perfectly one song to the next...the only point I don't love it is when princess leigha comes on then degenerate.  But I can even respect it at the time it was cool and quirky, just as they were.

For how young they were, it's such a greatly constructed album.

Enema was immense, but it's definitely them catering to pop more..that and TOYPAJ are also 'songs' to me more than 'the album'.  Self Titled is their creative push, and definitely a favorite, but it is a bit too experimental at times...as in not AS natural as Dude Ranch per say. I'll probably come back in a month and be all about Self Titled again, but Dude Ranch right now is telling me it's their magnus opus.  The only thing that really makes it hard to solidify that is, it doesn't have Travis and essential piece of who they are..

I mean the similarity imo between Pathetic and Feeling This isn't by accident. Feeling This is them years later more polished and aged. But by age, not in their prime, Mark and Tom feuding was heart felt music, but nothing beats when they're 2 peas in a pod combined in one.

"Nothinggg to lossee" is Tom at his best/happiest playing..just relisten to that song (dick lips).. which is slightly better than angsty/angry Tom.

Plus that's what Blink's identity was. Care free, fuck the rules, good humor, dick around at all costs, independence.

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Don't try to deflect us from your weird youtube obsession. We will discuss what we want to discuss.

I'm not deflecting. I haven't changed any stance. Currently listening to a full album right now on YouTube at the gym. I've only had to go over and fix it once because an Amber alert went off in my ears.  No ads, no loads to next song, beautiful stuff! Don't interrupt my dude ranch emotional journey either cunt.

You guys heard of this thing called You Tube? 

There are whole albums on there!

I can't wait to see what the future brings! 

Can you imagine what it's gonna be like in ten years?! Like 2015?!

Fuck, they might even bring down CNN with this shit!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FightingTheGravity said:

I'm not deflecting. I haven't changed any stance. Currently listening to a full album right now on YouTube at the gym. I've only had to go over and fix it once because an Amber alert went off in my ears.  No ads, no loads to next song, beautiful stuff! Don't interrupt my dude ranch emotional journey either cunt.

What a world we live in. 

10 hours ago, FightingTheGravity said:

Can we at least pivot this discussion to more about Dude Ranch and less about the most optimal way to listen to Dude Ranch?

I'm truly starting to think it's their magnus opus. I always thought Enema or Self Titled...but the more I listen to Dude Ranch, front to back, this is them at their purest and truest. The album flows so perfectly one song to the next...the only point I don't love it is when princess leigha comes on then degenerate.  But I can even respect it at the time it was cool and quirky, just as they were.

For how young they were, it's such a greatly constructed album.

Enema was immense, but it's definitely them catering to pop more..that and TOYPAJ are also 'songs' to me more than 'the album'.  Self Titled is their creative push, and definitely a favorite, but it is a bit too experimental at times...as in not AS natural as Dude Ranch per say. I'll probably come back in a month and be all about Self Titled again, but Dude Ranch right now is telling me it's their magnus opus.  The only thing that really makes it hard to solidify that is, it doesn't have Travis and essential piece of who they are..

I mean the similarity imo between Pathetic and Feeling This isn't by accident. Feeling This is them years later more polished and aged. But by age, not in their prime, Mark and Tom feuding was heart felt music, but nothing beats when they're 2 peas in a pod combined in one.

"Nothinggg to lossee" is Tom at his best/happiest playing..just relisten to that song (dick lips).. which is slightly better than angsty/angry Tom.

Plus that's what Blink's identity was. Care free, fuck the rules, good humor, dick around at all costs, independence.

I actually am glad that Travis isn't on Dude Ranch. I prefer Travis as a drummer and I did fall in love with blink when he was a member, but to me part of the genius of Dude Ranch was that it was before all the drama. all of it.

It's the original band, at full speed, with stupid humour and jokes but also songs that aren't *only* funny, with real moments of "hey kick you in the nuts thats awesome" punk. There are great musical moments all over that record that floor me, like the breakdown and end of Emo, or the main riff in Enthused, The pre chorus in Dick Lips, hell the entirety Im Sorry - there's just so much richness to an album that's mostly just three young dudes messing about with a producer. 

It's raw but polished enough to sit through comfortably, it's silly but it's varied whilst also being cohesive - it's just fun. it's the most full on genuine and fun record we ever had with them, no crazy MTV style level pressure, but past the teething problems at the start of their career. it was truly the blink-182 sweet spot. 

It's always been my favourite and I can see why others think self titled is the 'magnum opus' but I am inclined to agree with you that it's actually Dude Ranch. 

• Like 5