The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

23 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

WHOA yeah that's very different. Pretty cool to hear, I wonder what the deal is with it though? Haha

My guess is they probably have a load of different mixes available for every song. I remember that article about one of the mixers working for Feldy, and he mentioned that blink listened to every single mix there is, then chose the ones they liked the most. So on a hard drive or computer somewhere, there's bound to be different mixes of each California song. My guess is like 4-5 for each song.

I doubt the band have even listened to the youtube videos. That mix probably was added in by accident. If the band or people in the blink camp don't even realise, then I'm surprised nobody has told them haha.

• Like 1

On 2017. 07. 04. at 0:33 PM, Nosferatu said:

Someone mentioned this a while back I'm sure, but is this a different mix of San Diego? That sounds nothing like the one I bought from iTunes. Sounds like a total different mix.

what's the difference? it sounds the same to me, except the volume and the quality is lower on the youtube video.

3 hours ago, Ixidor said:

Sounds like he is Lukewarm at nest about it and doesn't wanna piss off Mark. Plus Blink tours make so much money

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

what's the difference? it sounds the same to me, except the volume and the quality is lower on the youtube video.

The drums sound more snappy on the youtube version and the reverb is a lot more noticeable to me too. The bass has less boom sound kind of. The vocals sound more layered to me, especially in the chorus. Pre-chorus has more reverb in the vocals than the main mix. Vocals in the chorus sound like it has some chorus effect, way more noticeable than the main mix too.

The part where they drown out the San DiegooooooOOOOOO part, the vocals sound way more different to the same exact part in the main mix. Just as the chorus finishes, but the bridge starts, there's some effect that's mixed louder than the released version. Literally right before Skiba sings "I never needed to hear all the pain and the fear." Best to start that part at 1:54 on the video.

Octave chords are lowered down in the bridge too and the "ahhhhh" part is a little bit more noticeable. I don't know if others will notice things like that. I listened through headphones & earphones. Really is a big difference to me. I can usually pick stuff out like that easily from being involved with music production and all. Just find it odd why there's two different mixes for this song, but seems like an accident.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

The mix that made the album is a lot better than that one

I think so too. I think San Diego is one of the few songs on California with mixing that I like, but tbh I don't often care too much about how a mix is. I do if it's my own songs, but if it's other bands, I can't judge. I'd have to listen to it fully raw (like how the song sounds before mixing starts) to get a proper idea of how a song in my opinion should sound. They chose those mixes for a reason, so whatever works for them. Still won't take away from how good a song is though in my opinion. There's only been one or two blink songs with mixing that's bothered me, and that's the chorus and the bridge of Ghost on the Dance Floor. Fucking killer song but sounds so cluttered in those specific parts.

The other part is the chorus on This is Home. Maybe it was intentional but that guitar sounds like the guitar from "The Brews" from NOFX kind of. Works for that song, but I didn't like it on This is Home haha. If they wanted that tone like that song, it probably could've sounded way better than it did, but that's Neighborhoods for you. A lot of songs from that sound like demo songs. That said, I do think that's the charm of Neighborhoods though.

That California interview was really good. Its nice to see how they said they would never conspire to kick Tom out. At the end when Mark talks about Tom being in the band you can tell he is completely done with Tom and wants nothing to do with him anymore. 

I honestly think though if Tom were to say he wants to be back, and Travis was ok with it, I dont think Mark would have the balls to say no to Tom. I dont think he would want him back in but would do it anyway. 

8 hours ago, knapton said:

That California interview was really good. Its nice to see how they said they would never conspire to kick Tom out. At the end when Mark talks about Tom being in the band you can tell he is completely done with Tom and wants nothing to do with him anymore. 

I honestly think though if Tom were to say he wants to be back, and Travis was ok with it, I dont think Mark would have the balls to say no to Tom. I dont think he would want him back in but would do it anyway. 

I dunno. I think Mark is going to ride the Skiba train for a long, long time. I just don't see Mark ever trusting Tom again. I mean how would this path even start? Tom goes to a show to support his old band? Tom chilling with Travis more? Seems BCR is a no-go at this point. So I dunno. I just wish someone would budge but who will first, if ever? Outlook not likely. 

9 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

The drums sound more snappy on the youtube version and the reverb is a lot more noticeable to me too. The bass has less boom sound kind of. The vocals sound more layered to me, especially in the chorus. Pre-chorus has more reverb in the vocals than the main mix. Vocals in the chorus sound like it has some chorus effect, way more noticeable than the main mix too.

The part where they drown out the San DiegooooooOOOOOO part, the vocals sound way more different to the same exact part in the main mix. Just as the chorus finishes, but the bridge starts, there's some effect that's mixed louder than the released version. Literally right before Skiba sings "I never needed to hear all the pain and the fear." Best to start that part at 1:54 on the video.

Octave chords are lowered down in the bridge too and the "ahhhhh" part is a little bit more noticeable. I don't know if others will notice things like that. I listened through headphones & earphones. Really is a big difference to me. I can usually pick stuff out like that easily from being involved with music production and all. Just find it odd why there's two different mixes for this song, but seems like an accident.

thanks. i really just thought the difference was caused by a low quality audio file (like an old 160 kbps mp3) and the video encoder. when you reencode this low quality, lossy audio file, it ends with a similar output.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

thanks. i really just thought the difference was caused by a low quality audio file (like an old 160 kbps mp3) and the video encoder. when you reencode this low quality, lossy audio file, it ends with a similar output.

Yeah, that can happen too. Usually the volume becomes more lower for certain things. On Spotify, the loudest volume of every song tends to be more quiet than the loudest volume from the iTunes version. But that YT version is an entirely different mix altogether. The other California songs added to youtube don't have a drastic difference the way San Diego has. Wouldn't mind hearing from blink/Feldy themselves about why they have two mixes of San Diego.

8 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Ive always liked that alternate mix a lot. Its just so random that it was uploaded for the lyric video

Just imagine how cool it'd be to listen to different mixes of other songs too. I wonder if different mixes of the smiley face album still exist on a hard drive or computer somewhere. Usually for my own songs, there's four mixes from the same guy, but he does the first mix and asks if there's anything I'd like changing, and if there is, he does a second mix. Usually takes him about 3-4 attempts for me to be happy with it, but I always save the ones I wasn't happy with. Wouldn't surprise me if professional bands did the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

So he has the balls to kick him out of the band, replace him, make 2 albums without him, tour 2 years without him, but won't say "No" to him if he begs to come back in, after not even speaking with him for several years? Lol. I don't think he would even say anything, he'd let the manager/laywers tell Tom to fuck off IMO.

The only way Tom comes back IMO is years down the road if Blink is on an extended break, Matt's doing Trio stuff, and for some reason Tom/Mark realize they are old as fuck and have a heart to heart about it...and I'd give that about a 5% chance of happening, and this is at least 5+ years away from even being slightly possible IMHO.

Ya Mark didnt really kick Tom out. Tom said he was done and Mark moved on. I think thats a lot less harder to do than to actually stand up to Tom and say no. 

15 hours ago, knapton said:

I honestly think though if Tom were to say he wants to be back, and Travis was ok with it, I dont think Mark would have the balls to say no to Tom.

The good thing then is that Tom is even more of a pussy to ever even try to force a situation like that.

Mark on the next album being more experimental:

“I think this album [California] took Blink back to its roots and what it’s all about, and I think on the next record, we want to push that boundary again. We’ll keep the core of Blink 182 but we’ll get a little more experimental. Kind of like what we did on the untitled record, which we’re all really proud of. It still sounded like Blink and had that Blink feeling, but it was different and a little more thought out.”

http://www.nme.com/news/music/blink-182-discuss-plans-future-next-album-2099405?utm_content=manual&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nme

• Like 2