The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

More and more i find myself saying "the music kids these days listen to"

so much hip hop/rap/rnb. Artists i've never heard of and i never like it. I hate that kind of music. Always the same fucking hi-hat trip and they always rap and sing like they have no passion. Maybe im getting old. 

• Like 2

Matt skiba and the sekret's record was on sale in our local cd store today and i got it and listened to it all day long in the car.

Fantastic stuff, never really got into Alkaline Trio or anything Matt related but that record is fucking amazing. Probably gonna check out some alkaline trio next. 

I have a lot more respect for matt as a musician now... but at the same time, am even more dissapointed with the outcome of cali /cali dlx .....

all that wasted potential......

On 2017. 07. 07. at 10:46 AM, Kay said:

You betting actual money? because I'd bet actual money that they will. I have no idea how much £5 is hungary but I'll bet that, it's a little bet but still. If you win I'll send it via paypal, if I win you pay me via paypal. Is it a deal? 

i don't bet money on anything.

i just don't feel blink want or need feldmann.

15 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

Matt skiba and the sekret's record was on sale in our local cd store today and i got it and listened to it all day long in the car.

Fantastic stuff, never really got into Alkaline Trio or anything Matt related but that record is fucking amazing. Probably gonna check out some alkaline trio next. 

I have a lot more respect for matt as a musician now... but at the same time, am even more dissapointed with the outcome of cali /cali dlx .....

all that wasted potential......

Yeah that records really good. You'll definitely like alkaline trio. I remember getting into them when the Crimson cd came out and "Time to Waste" was the single. They're definitely a much more dark and depressing take on pop punk

I always liked how they were the most similar band to blink 182 because they were a trio with 2 lead singers. 

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

So is blink ever going to play Home Is Such a Lonely Place live or what?

Not playing your current single seems super weird/stupid to me.

I honestly don't think they could pull off the song live. But I'm still disappointed that they haven't tried it.

Hope not. The whole crowd would nod off

• Like 1

Matt recently about writing for Blink:

"We got together in Travis' studio for several months. I was writing a song a day, not necessarily always a good song but I wanted to go to the studio every day with a new idea. I would get home from the studio, pick up my guitar right away, knock something out, send it to the guys and we would work on it the next day. Mark would do the same thing."

"We had a group of songs that we still may or may not use, I don't know. There's way more material than just what is on the deluxe record; there's a whole other record's worth of material that I personally thought sounded too much like Alkaline Trio. That's how I write; it's hard to change. It's like you can't just change your fingerprint. We discussed the record at length and made sure that we didn't just really like it, we had to love it. You can't put something out that is anything short of true love and true pride.""

• Like 1

What would Mark and Travis honestly think when he sent them his guitar ideas?  'okay so I used the Adams Song riff again, but this time a litttlle less Adam than usual' 

What guitar writing is he talking about? Everything on the record is like elementary repetitive stuff there's no writing involved

58 minutes ago, FightingTheGravity said:

What would Mark and Travis honestly think when he sent them his guitar ideas?  'okay so I used the Adams Song riff again, but this time a litttlle less Adam than usual' 

What guitar writing is he talking about? Everything on the record is like elementary repetitive stuff there's no writing involved

They probably weren't like that before they got with Feldmann. I imagine what happened was feldmann or mark said your guitar parts need to sound more like blink, and Matt I'm sure was like I don't know what that means since a person can't just change their writing style. So he looked at Tom's work and just wrote stuff with Tom's work as the framework leading to the repetitiveness of what we have. It's one of the whammys of keeping the blink-182 name. Theirs an expectation of what it's going to sound like and this isn't Matt's style so he's going to try to write stuff like Tom's previous blink work.

• Like 2

Seems some of those quotes were taken from this actual interview:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/matt-skiba-talks-recording-california-guitar-gear-and-the-future-of-blink-182

Notable stuff:

We had all of these songs and we would take a song and give it a sister or brother song where they were similar tunes but maybe with a different progression or a different drum beat or a different song completely but we felt we couldn’t have both because they had a similar feel. We had these twin songs, and when we decided to do the deluxe thing we had those to use."

"We had a group of songs that we still may or may not use, I don’t know. There’s way more material than just what is on the deluxe record; there’s a whole other record’s worth of material that I personally thought sounded too much like Alkaline Trio."

(On Feldmann's involvement): "For tones, he has a team of people at the studio. There’s the A room where John is and a B and a C room where someone is editing, and then there is the live room. I would be in the B room going through guitar stuff. Me and our friend Zack would have a guitar, or me and Mark would have a guitar just adding little bits. John is very hands-on with everything, but he has his ninjas in waiting for tone and editing."

"There was a lot of experimenting. Blink has a tone. We emulate a lot of Tom’s tones from the older Blink stuff, because that is Blink. It needs to be a new thing and have its own life but it also has to hark back to the old stuff and the feel with the older songs.I feel like it is two different bands. It is called the same thing, but luckily I’m here. I don’t mean that in a snide way at all. Tom and I are friendly acquaintances - he has always been very nice to me - I am just saying that on my own I am very proud and happy to be here.”

"We have been talking about getting back in the studio next year, but there is nothing set in stone."

• Like 1