The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

My reaction: 

Up All Night: Disappointment. That riff was the worst thing I had heard and I just wanted to hide. The song itself was meh, pretty mediocre stuff, that eventually grew on me, but that opening guitar thing is still to date the worst thing Blink ever put out and they put out Los Angeles and Parking Lot.

Heart's All Gone: "This is all right I guess!" I thought it was pretty cool that they tried to be all Dude Ranch again, even if the song wasn't that good.

After Midnight: I was a bit shocked how great it was after the two sort of meh songs released before it. The chorus was always a letdown though.*

Neighborhoods.I think I was surprised how much I actually liked it. 

I need to go back and see if I remember this correctly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thongrider said:

I'll never understand how anyone can feel like UAN sounds similar to BCR in any way. 

I don't think it sounds similar but I definitely hear the elements. Heavy post hardcore style riff, the same constant octave chords in the verses which was common with BCR too. Add Travis unique drumming style to it. It was blink progressing IMO. From BCR to smiley face to that. Was like they continued right from where they left off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, raw_sounds said:

I just read this quote:

"I've never felt any significant pangs of envy or regret over our decision to stay independent - it's probably the main reason we're still standing after all these years. The only thing that hurt was watching the rise of Blink-182. Not because I have any problem with those guys (in fact we consider them bros), but because they were the only mainstream punk band that seemed like they were directly ripping us off. We were always the "joking" band. Rancid, Green Day, and the Offspring all had their own personae. We cornered the market on lowbrow humor. The funny songs. The Mike/Hefe stage banter.. I don't know if it was conscious plagiarism or just our influence on them, but watching Blink-182 copy our style and get hugely popular with it was the only thing I resented. In fairness, their sound is more polished. And they're younger and more attractive than us. If we weren't going to exploit our sound on a major, someone else was bound to - it was just a matter of time. But when they offered us a million dollars to open for them on one of their tours, it felt satisfying to turn it down. Our pride probably has a price... they just haven't hit it yet."

Eric Melvin from NoFX on their biography, so they were really bitter about blink success.

As much as I respect NOFX, even blink in their early years sounded very different to them IMO. Even on Cheshire Cat, you could hear influences from the Cure. No other punk/skate punk band at the time had those kind of details in their songs. Can't ever see any other band coming up with 21 Days, Cacophony, Carousel etc. All the punk bands had their own thing. Nobody sounded like Green Day. Nobody sounded like Offspring. Nobody sounded like NOFX or Rancid, and nobody sounded like blink.

I also think NOFX's humour is a little bit more different than blink. Sure, both bands joke around but the humour was different IMO. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FightingTheGravity said:

No one said it was a failure in sales, they said the music sucks. You know? The thing that actually matters.

After looking at those stats, it seems the only thing that matters is touring. I knew touring was a huge chunk but damnnnn, 9 out of the 12 million was from touring... 1.4 mill from streams, 1 mill from sales, $792k from publishing... that's ~ 3.29 million, split that 3 ways that's only 1 million a year which isn't much living in L.A. Split it 4 ways with Tom, that's only 797k per year. (And their actual "cut" is likely much lower than this, and this is pre-taxes)

No wonder Mark/Trav want to tour all the time, and not wait 5-7 years in between! 

2 hours ago, raw_sounds said:

I just read this quote:

"I've never felt any significant pangs of envy or regret over our decision to stay independent - it's probably the main reason we're still standing after all these years. The only thing that hurt was watching the rise of Blink-182. Not because I have any problem with those guys (in fact we consider them bros), but because they were the only mainstream punk band that seemed like they were directly ripping us off. We were always the "joking" band. Rancid, Green Day, and the Offspring all had their own personae. We cornered the market on lowbrow humor. The funny songs. The Mike/Hefe stage banter.. I don't know if it was conscious plagiarism or just our influence on them, but watching Blink-182 copy our style and get hugely popular with it was the only thing I resented. In fairness, their sound is more polished. And they're younger and more attractive than us. If we weren't going to exploit our sound on a major, someone else was bound to - it was just a matter of time. But when they offered us a million dollars to open for them on one of their tours, it felt satisfying to turn it down. Our pride probably has a price... they just haven't hit it yet."

Eric Melvin from NoFX on their biography, so they were really bitter about blink success.

such a douchey quote, honestly. and to say "in fact, we consider them bros" after discrediting their careers like that....lol

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, FightingTheGravity said:

Fuck 9 mil a year touring? And they still only can do 75 minutes??  I thought album sales had a higher impact than that, crazy.

It's crazy that people can say they work hard. Playing 70-75 minute sets is ridiculous.

Also getting a guy to come in and write most of your album isn't really working hard.

31 minutes ago, Dylan_ said:

It's crazy that people can say they work hard. Playing 70-75 minute sets is ridiculous.

Also getting a guy to come in and write most of your album isn't really working hard.

Show once a night, not even everyday. Lay in a tour bus, gym, explore cities, interview here and there many by phone/email, get paid millions. Phew! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan_ said:

I agree on the writing process is lazy as possible and shameful for a band like Blink, but honestly touring would wipe me out especially if I was 40...I would make zero excuses and be strictly for the fans if I was making that much, but still I'll never disregard touring as draining.  I get exhausted traveling in general though.