The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

23 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I personally think they should be on stage for at least an hour and a half, with 1 hour 45 minutes being a good set time. 

I miss all the cool little interlude parts they used to add/extended outros and random different parts, yes sometimes Tom butchered them but there were others that sounded really cool. Near enough every song is now a carton copy of what you'd hear on the CD.

I agree. Tom did usually screw them all up but it was nice changing it up live

10 hours ago, NotNow said:

Then leave after 75 minutes?

That's like saying people should go before a movie (like Star Wars or whatever else way too long films) instead of adressing the real problem. That people make way too long movies!!!!!!

Like I said I really doubt the casual fans who take the plunge and buy a ticket to a Blink 182 concert would ONLY know All The Small Things. If they like that song enough after 18 years to spend $70 or whatever, they most likely know the other gigantic hits as well. So they're not going to get bored and want to leave or wish the concert was shorter.

The comparison of the number of songs is interesting, but it doesn't really hold up either. Like people have said, Blink's songs are shorter than Foo Fighters and U2 and whoever else, PLUS they have deleted all of the joking around that used to take up that extra 20 minutes of showtime.

They don't have to talk between songs anymore with the new lineup, I get that it's not natural anymore, but that was a signature chunk of their shows over the years. When that got removed they really should have started making up that fraction of the concert experience with more music. To instead just say "eh fuck it we'll just cut our shows 20 minutes short now" isn't a very satisfying response.

I get why people would get bored of longer sets. If I've ever seen local bands, there's often times when I think "come on, when's this gonna be over?" but I just leave if I get too bored. That said, if I'm going to see a professional band play, it'll have to be a band I'm a fan of. I'd never get bored listening to blink play for 2-3 hours. I'd fucking love it if they did all that stadium rock shit. I feel the same with bands like Green Day, Naked + Famous, AFI, Sum 41 etc

As for the casual fans, really what's the point of seeing a band if you only like 2-4 songs? Bands like RHCP, Foo Fighters etc, I'm not gonna go watch them play songs like Can't Stop, By the Way, Californication, Learn to Fly plus a few other tracks. Fuck that shit. Not worth it. Would only ever watch RHCP play a full set if they still had John Frusciante in the band. Could watch him and Flea jam with each other for hours.

I always assumed if you're there to see a band, you're more than a casual fan. It's festivals where you need to keep shit shorter IMO. As for Mark's opinion on why blink need to keep all the hits and the set short. It's utter bullshit. When I saw blink in Newcastle, fans were singing along to acoustic versions of Reckless Abandon & Waggy. The only songs fans weren't exactly singing along to or barely moving to were the Neighborhoods songs. Apart from that, literally almost everyone was into it.

As for the hits/singles, I understand why they play All The Small Things, What's My Age Again, Dammit, I Miss You, Feeling This. Those songs should definitely stay in the set IMO. First Date is boring. The Rock Show is boring unless they're gonna improvise that the way they did in 2003-2004. Down is boring unless they're gonna improvise that the way they did in 2003-2004.

The other singles just aren't needed, unless it's the California singles. Bored to Death and HISALP should be getting played every show for the time being. So should She's Out of Her Mind (as much as I despise that song). I think there's more to it than Mark just feeling that the songs are too new. Blink never used to slowly add new stuff into their sets unless the album was yet to be released. In the Reading + Leeds set in 2003, they played Go, Feeling This & Obvious only, because that album wasn't released yet.

Soon as the album was released, they played almost every damn tune in their sets. Only I'm Lost Without You, Not Now & Always were the songs that were never there. So the California stuff being too "new" is bullshit. I just think Mark doesn't like the songs as much or something. I also feel the more you play new songs, you're making them more popular. There's reasons why a song like Violence is a staple in the live set. They played it shit loads when it was first released.

You've gotta force that shit onto the fans man. Even the casual ones. Make them listen to your new tracks otherwise people will never fully appreciate them.

• Like 6

When I do show, I go all out, I get there real early to get right up front, wedged in between a bunch of smelly people for about 4 hours. On my feet, sometimes very warm, no bathrooms, no food, no drink.

And you going to insult with some little bullshit 75 minutes mouse fart? Fuck that.

I won't be seeing Blink until there are significant changes.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

When I do show, I go all out, I get there real early to get right up front, wedged in between a bunch of smelly people for about 4 hours. On my feet, sometimes very warm, no bathrooms, no food, no drink.

And you going to insult with some little bullshit 75 minutes mouse fart? Fuck that.

I won't be seeing Blink until there are significant changes.

What a snowflake. Typical millennial.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blink182acti0n said:

Well I'm pissed I missed out on getting tickets to see them at the metro in  August  today. That would have been awesome, it's such a small venue. 

I had 2 tickets ready to check out, but started thinking about hotel prices with Lolla going on, and the fact that it was on a Thursday...and ended up passing on them. Already regretting it. =(

I don't even like California, but would 10X rather go see them play those songs live since they are their most recent releases.. playing the old hits only for 75 minutes is really reserved for festivals or 70 year old Aerosmith reunions.  That's not what solo concerts are, unless you are trying to take selling out to a whole new level and making concert tours a casual fan only event now..

Oh and the fact all these hits are cringe as fuck because they're 1/3rd a cover song that Matt wasn't around for.. Play the shit that he actually fucking co-co-wrote

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thongrider said:

That's like saying people should go before a movie (like Star Wars or whatever else way too long films) instead of adressing the real problem. That people make way too long movies!!!!!!

That's not the same thing at all because a movie is a continuous story, obviously you need to stay to see the end of the story. A concert is just by song, leave after whatever song you want if you're tired. You get to hear x amount of songs in the allotted time you want, then leave. If you think an incredibly short show that is quite shorter than the average headlining concert, I wouldn't have sympathy for you if you're too tired at the end of it for them to play more. Get tired at 75 minutes? Go sit on the lawn or get a seated ticket and listen from there to finish the set or leave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

When I saw Green Day at a club, I went inside like 2+ hours AFTER doors opened, stood around for almost 2 hours. Then the opener finally came on, played 30-45 minutes. Then waited another 30-45 minutes. Then Green Day finally came on and played for 2 hours. By the time Green Days half way thru the set Im wanting it to be over with because Ive wasted all night doing nothing

Its so boring standing around drinking a million beers at some of these concerts. It was fun but they need to be more efficient with time. How hard is it to set up a drum set and speakers? 

No complaints about blink though. Perfect set length. 80 minutes is perfect. Only certain bands should play 2+ hours 

You try setting up a drum kit with thousands of eyes watching you. setting up a drum set takes some damn time and when you have that level of audience and expectation and professionalism it needs to be done fucking correctly. 

all of this sounds like you're someone who probably shouldn't be going to gigs if you're going to bitch that the band you came to see is playing for longer. 

7 hours ago, NotNow said:

That's not the same thing at all because a movie is a continuous story, obviously you need to stay to see the end of the story. A concert is just by song, leave after whatever song you want if you're tired. You get to hear x amount of songs in the allotted time you want, then leave. If you think an incredibly short show that is quite shorter than the average headlining concert, I wouldn't have sympathy for you if you're too tired at the end of it for them to play more. Get tired at 75 minutes? Go sit on the lawn or get a seated ticket and listen from there to finish the set or leave.

The average headliining concert is probably under an hour. 75 minutes is pretty normal.

4 hours ago, Kay said:

You try setting up a drum kit with thousands of eyes watching you. setting up a drum set takes some damn time and when you have that level of audience and expectation and professionalism it needs to be done fucking correctly. 

all of this sounds like you're someone who probably shouldn't be going to gigs if you're going to bitch that the band you came to see is playing for longer. 

I think it's a perfectly good reason to complain. Especially in Green Day's case where they don't spend those overstretched hours playing music, but yelling "hey oh" and doing lots of bullshit for probably HALF of the time. 

All things considered, I trust Mark's opinion on how long his show should be. He has been doing this 20+ years and knows how crowds react to his shows. I've never heard one person bitching about the show length as I was leaving a Blink concert.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

All things considered, I trust Mark's opinion on how long his show should be. He has been doing this 20+ years and knows how crowds react to his shows. I've never heard one person bitching about the show length as I was leaving a Blink concert.

So a fresh pair of eyes and ideas could maybe do them some favours?