The Official Gaslight Anthem thread

Meltdown Tracker

Have they released something? I'm lost with this project.

Same here. From what I've gathered, it's just for fun and it's an outlet for Brian to do more folk and acoustic stuff without if impacting the Gaslight Anthem and their fans bitching about the change in sound too much. Also seems like he's just doing it for fun, and opening for bands like the Bouncing Souls and playing with his buddies. Kind of seems like what Boxcar Racer was to Blink, minus the bad blood between band members.

All the recordings are on Youtube, not sure if an official release has happened yet though. 

• 3 weeks later...

gave this record a nice amount of spinning. couldn't believe how beautiful it sounds through headphones. wanna love this record - use them, that simple. very first listen was alright.

found out stand out tracks like 1000 years, underneath, rolling. but a few days later and i am addicted to red violins, dark places - what a beast. definitely a better record from Brian. 

• 1 year later...

The band went on hiatus, stating that they did not want to make music just for the sake of making music. Basically lacking direction and didn't want to put out a shitty album that didn't evolve their sound. 

Brian's putting out a solo album in March though, pretty pumped for it. 
Here's some songs to expect on it:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone listen to Brian's new album Sleepwalkers?

I've only heard a few tracks so far, but I like it less than Painkillers. At least it's something different, though. Can't fault the guy for trying to milk the same ideas each album at least. 

Etta James is a pretty good song

• Like 1

I prefer Painkillers but I have to admit that this album is the better one in terms of songwriting and production. 

Etta James, Come Wander With Me and Watson are the stand outs, the other songs are nice, he had some cool ideas, but not phenomenonal. I may change my mind about that though.

I think his lyrical content on this album tops Painkillers - I also like the more Gaslight-roots even though I think Painkillers was much more experimental and fun. I'm just glad the bluegrass/blues influence he's been jumping on recently didn't over-saturate this album 

On 2/17/2018 at 1:56 AM, Broken English said:

Etta James and Sleepwalkers are the two tracks that have no redeeming qualities for me. 

I really enjoy the guitar riff and lyrics of Etta James.  Some really great lines in that song, like:

And all we wanted was absolutely everything
Like foolish, hungry young lions
I was lost and alone, a million light years from home
It was nobody's fault but mine

Agreed about Sleepwalkers though. 

My favourite songs are probably Etta James, Her Majesty's Service, Neptune, and My Name is the Night (Color Me Black). Little Nightmares, Watson, and the first 3 tracks are all pretty solid as well. 

Also, he could have toned down the organ a bit. It works in most songs, but it becomes a bit much after multiple listens. 

On a side-note, pretty good performance with a variety of songs

• Like 1

• 2 months later...