The Official Gaslight Anthem thread

Meltdown Tracker

19 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I only listened to it once when it first came out and it really didn’t do much for me. Might have to give it another go this weekend see if anything changes.

I think the standout tracks are Come Wander With Me, Etta James, Her Majesty's Service, and Neptune. The second half of Neptune is probably the highlight of the album to me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next week will be released "The 59 Sound Sessions". Pretty interesting recordings. They sound dryer than the final versions, as long as they are some sort of demo for the album and much less reverb was used. My guess is that those versions are the preproduction ones. They sound darker rawer and punker. In fact, there are a few cuts that made the final album that are still not present here, but instead of them we have a good cover of Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down" and the unreleased demo of "Our Father´s Sons"

• Like 1

I like how more punk High Lonesome used to be, but that chorus is very disorienting! Our Father's Sons is easily their most underrated song, it's just amazing. This version is good, especially with that Great Expectations guitar at the end.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 3:32 PM, Elisa said:

I like how more punk High Lonesome used to be, but that chorus is very disorienting! Our Father's Sons is easily their most underrated song, it's just amazing. This version is good, especially with that Great Expectations guitar at the end.

Yeah agreed. It's cool to see the early beginnings of songs like Old White Lincoln with the verse in Placeholder. 

I prefer some of these versions to the originals. The Patient Ferris Wheel works much better as a more raw punk version. 

Also love that you can still hear Alex's Cure-ish guitar setup. This, along with Senor and the Queen and 59' Sound have that same sound, love it. You can really hear it in Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts and Here's Looking at You, Kid - but it's there in pretty much every track for those albums.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Yeah agreed. It's cool to see the early beginnings of songs like Old White Lincoln with the verse in Placeholder. 

I prefer some of these versions to the originals. The Patient Ferris Wheel works much better as a more raw punk version. 

Also love that you can still hear Alex's Cure-ish guitar setup. This, along with Senor and the Queen and 59' Sound have that same sound, love it. You can really hear it in Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts and Here's Looking at You, Kid - but it's there in pretty much every track for those albums.

You're right. Alex's guitar tone is the not so secret weapon that give GA a real unique quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/6/2018 at 7:58 PM, Kvothe said:

This concert was finally posted on YouTube a few months ago. One of my favourite concerts. 

Finally!!!! I remember having a DVD about this, not sure if it was official or what, but fucking lost it.

• 1 year later...

Brian just put out a new track 'You Have Stolen My Heart' and announced a new album Local Honey set to release for March 27, 2020.

Song is pretty good but nothing amazing based on my first listen.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3cAEImG3GfO83DsOgZIMVs?si=3IhwcILXS6OKaDVuqnJWdA

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Brian just put out a new track 'You Have Stolen My Heart' and announced a new album Local Honey set to release for March 27, 2020.

Song is pretty good but nothing amazing based on my first listen.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3cAEImG3GfO83DsOgZIMVs?si=3IhwcILXS6OKaDVuqnJWdA

Nice little song but it's nothing special and it doesn't give away the vibe of the new album so I'm looking forward to hearing the next one. "Part of me stays in the room where we met" is one of the best lines I've heard in a while though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Wish he'd tour close to KANSAS, I never got to see Gaslight.

I think there's still at least a 50/50 chance Gaslight reform. Sounds like no bad blood between any of them, they just ran out of ideas for what they wanted to sound like. Could see them reconnecting in the next few years for a reunion tour and maybe a new album. 

I saw Brian Fallon in Vancouver last year and I don't think he's ever coming back after how shitty the crowd was. I might have already posted this story in this thread, but there were a few drunken idiots that were yelling at Brian between every song (or during some songs). At first it was ok and funny - stuff like "We fucking love you Brian!". But it became worse and worse over time (probably in correlation to the amount of alcohol they drank). It ended up becoming people just yelling requests for Gaslight songs to Brian or just yelling Free Bird. Brian played it off really well and was able to make jokes for the first 5 or 6 times, but you could tell midway through he was getting frustrated and annoyed. The whole ordeal was basically "dance monkey dance!!" but over and over, I was cringing.

At one point, Brian said something along the lines of "what gives you the right to yell and ruin it for everyone else?" which the tool responded with "because I paid for it." Brian then got his wallet out and approached the guy to give him his money back so he would leave. Near the end of the show, Brian called back behind stage saying "When do we go to the next city? Great!"

Sucks to suck 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I think there's still at least a 50/50 chance Gaslight reform. Sounds like no bad blood between any of them, they just ran out of ideas for what they wanted to sound like. Could see them reconnecting in the next few years for a reunion tour and maybe a new album. 

I saw Brian Fallon in Vancouver last year and I don't think he's ever coming back after how shitty the crowd was. I might have already posted this story in this thread, but there were a few drunken idiots that were yelling at Brian between every song (or during some songs). At first it was ok and funny - stuff like "We fucking love you Brian!". But it became worse and worse over time (probably in correlation to the amount of alcohol they drank). It ended up becoming people just yelling requests for Gaslight songs to Brian or just yelling Free Bird. Brian played it off really well and was able to make jokes for the first 5 or 6 times, but you could tell midway through he was getting frustrated and annoyed. The whole ordeal was basically "dance monkey dance!!" but over and over, I was cringing.

At one point, Brian said something along the lines of "what gives you the right to yell and ruin it for everyone else?" which the tool responded with "because I paid for it." Brian then got his wallet out and approached the guy to give him his money back so he would leave. Near the end of the show, Brian called back behind stage saying "When do we go to the next city? Great!"

Sucks to suck 

jesus that sounds so awkward and a bummer for him.