The Official Gaslight Anthem thread

Meltdown Tracker

lol nah, i've trolled this band publicly before. 

their music just doesn't justify the level of fanboys. kind of like when max bemis was god. it's not bad or anything, just not worthy of 20 page spooge threads. 

lol nah, i've trolled this band publicly before.

their music just doesn't justify the level of fanboys. kind of like when max bemis was god. it's not bad or anything, just not worthy of 20 page spooge threads.

You gotta understand context here. When I made this thread, it was right after The 59' Sound came out, which was their bbreakout album, and they were still largely unheard of (at least where I'm from). I'm mainly a fan because the band produces good music, doesn't sell out, and Brian Fallon will play acoustic versions of all the songs and genuinely loves playing music (sharp contrast to modern day Blink there).

• 7 months later...

Anyone else stoked for the B-sides album coming out on January 28th? I wasn't a huge fan of their most recent song, Halloween, as the writing felt a bit lazy/forced, but I have high hopes for this album. It's taken way too long for them to release an acoustic album with the amount of material out there on Youtube and whatnot. Also glad that they went back to the SideOneDummy label, I thought they had their best albums produced by them. 

Anyone else stoked for the B-sides album coming out on January 28th? I wasn't a huge fan of their most recent song, Halloween, as the writing felt a bit lazy/forced, but I have high hopes for this album. It's taken way too long for them to release an acoustic album with the amount of material out there on Youtube and whatnot. Also glad that they went back to the SideOneDummy label, I thought they had their best albums produced by them. 

I have it since early december.

I was expecting something surprising, but, in my opinion, is not surprising at all. Sure, the acoustic live recordings are nice to hear, really stripped down raw versions of some of their best songs, but are not the best example of Fallon's voice. There are interesting songs, of course, as She Loves You, or the gorgeous cover of Tumbling Dice (Rolling Stones). But the big fail is that this compilation of b-sides, plus the fact that is not very special, does not cover the pre "The 59 Sopund" era. Neither the "Handwritten" period.

Legal shit, I suppose. As long as this record is being released b SideOneDummy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

New album finished recording, should be out in the next month or so; maybe earlier if it leaks. They said they wanted to go in another direction with the album, for example one track is mainly piano and Brian on vocals. Would love to hear Springsteen featured on a track but they're still trying to shed that comparison (unrealistic expectations and would pigeon hole them into being famous for sounding like someone else) so I don't expect it anytime soon. 

Also digging Brian's side project Molly and the Zombies:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvGmRMPwt4

They're hit or miss, I didn't really like the Sketchy track. 

Also, Brian's doing a Q/A on Dimestore Saints message board for the new album. 

• 4 weeks later...