Kvothe

The Official Gaslight Anthem thread

I only listened to it once when it first came out and it really didn’t do much for me. Might have to give it another go this weekend see if anything changes.

19 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I only listened to it once when it first came out and it really didn’t do much for me. Might have to give it another go this weekend see if anything changes.

I think the standout tracks are Come Wander With Me, Etta James, Her Majesty's Service, and Neptune. The second half of Neptune is probably the highlight of the album to me. 

• Like 1

It's awesome to see that Gaslight Anthem is back, even if it's just for a few shows to celebrate The 59 Sound anniversary.

• Love 1

Next week will be released "The 59 Sound Sessions". Pretty interesting recordings. They sound dryer than the final versions, as long as they are some sort of demo for the album and much less reverb was used. My guess is that those versions are the preproduction ones. They sound darker rawer and punker. In fact, there are a few cuts that made the final album that are still not present here, but instead of them we have a good cover of Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down" and the unreleased demo of "Our Father´s Sons"

• Like 1

Just listening to the The '59 Sound Sessions album now. I love how much more raw it is. Only heard The 59 Sound, but it's definitely a welcome addition to the discography. Brian's voice is much more similar to the Sink or Swim era. 

I like how more punk High Lonesome used to be, but that chorus is very disorienting! Our Father's Sons is easily their most underrated song, it's just amazing. This version is good, especially with that Great Expectations guitar at the end.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 3:32 PM, Elisa said:

I like how more punk High Lonesome used to be, but that chorus is very disorienting! Our Father's Sons is easily their most underrated song, it's just amazing. This version is good, especially with that Great Expectations guitar at the end.

Yeah agreed. It's cool to see the early beginnings of songs like Old White Lincoln with the verse in Placeholder. 

I prefer some of these versions to the originals. The Patient Ferris Wheel works much better as a more raw punk version. 

Also love that you can still hear Alex's Cure-ish guitar setup. This, along with Senor and the Queen and 59' Sound have that same sound, love it. You can really hear it in Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts and Here's Looking at You, Kid - but it's there in pretty much every track for those albums.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Yeah agreed. It's cool to see the early beginnings of songs like Old White Lincoln with the verse in Placeholder. 

I prefer some of these versions to the originals. The Patient Ferris Wheel works much better as a more raw punk version. 

Also love that you can still hear Alex's Cure-ish guitar setup. This, along with Senor and the Queen and 59' Sound have that same sound, love it. You can really hear it in Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts and Here's Looking at You, Kid - but it's there in pretty much every track for those albums.

You're right. Alex's guitar tone is the not so secret weapon that give GA a real unique quality. 

This concert was finally posted on YouTube a few months ago. One of my favourite concerts. 

• Love 2

On 27/6/2018 at 7:58 PM, Kvothe said:

This concert was finally posted on YouTube a few months ago. One of my favourite concerts. 

Finally!!!! I remember having a DVD about this, not sure if it was official or what, but fucking lost it.

Fuck yes. Let's bring Dave Hause to AK3 and let Skiba go to hell blink. Listen to this performance of Emma.