Recording question

Solace

Forewarning: I realize this doesn't have to do with guitars. I realize that this is a question about drums but my question doesn't require drum knowledge to answer. Only recording knowledge. Plus no one seems to go to the drum section. Sue me.

I wanna record and I wanna buy a 7-piece drum mic package. I was looking around for a multitrack recorder that record at least 7 tracks at once but the cheapest one I could find was $700 which was way out of my budget. Is there some sort of converter that can connect 7 cables into two input jacks.

OR

does anyone know a recorder that can record 7 tracks at once for less than $700. Somewhere less than $400.

First, are you gonna be recording on your computer?

Do you have a good soundcard? If so, with how many inputs?

If your soundcard is good (good asio drivers, very little latency) and has 2 line inputs,

you can buy a 8 mic (XLR) input mixer and connect the stereo out to your soundcard.

That way you're limited, cause you're left with a stereo track and that can't be manipulated much later on.

The best alternative is to buy a 8 channel soundcard like the M-Audio Profire 2626,

it has good D to A and A to D converters, good pre-amps, good asio drivers and many inputs and outputs (up to 26!!!).

It's around 500 bucks. I hope this helps a little...

There are all kinds of awesome software out there to use for recording (Logic, ProTools, Nuendo, Cubase, Reaper...)

but when you're recording any instrument and especially drums the most important thing is to have enough inputs and preamps.

So, you'll need a good soundcard that has just that.