If you want your band to sound good . . .

cought*offguard

Over time, I'm seeing more and more people saying "yeah, i just need something to learn on and be in my band with." or "i just want something cheap to hold me over for a while."

a lot of kids work their asses off for hours writing music trying to make it the best they possibly can, but then they play them, at a show or something, and people hate them. This is a hard point to make so bear with me. But basically, the better equipment you have, the better your going to sound. Your equipment is half of what makes the band. the other half is the music and stage performance itself. but whether or not a band has good equipment is what can make them, or break them. think of a local band in your area that everyone loves, isn't their equipment pretty good? or why local bands sound so good on recording, because they use good equipment on the recordings. why do you think people like hyler have such good equipment, and he tells you people to buy good equipment when you say "i just need something like a marshall avt" right now and he says to save up for a mesa. there's a reason he says to save up for a better amp. same with other musicians and guys at guitar center. because, if your going to want to be in a good, solid, tight (and i dont mean tight as in cool, i mean tight as in how well you know your songs, as a band, not just personally) band, then your going to have to have good equipment. the shittier the equipment, the shittier and more ammateur the band will sound. people are going to watch you and say "wow, these guys don't even work hard enough to have good equipment, what makes them think i should like them?". or, wouldnt you rather have them say "wow, they sounded so good tonight, they have their set as tight as it could be and you can actually hear the guitar and bass over the drums". it's whats going to make you or break you. and most people don't realize this.

(i posted this in bass and guitar sections to, but i was kind of hesitant to post this in drums section because most drummers buy good equipment as it is, but i just did it for the hell of it)

But drums cost major dough dude, and not everyone can just go out and afford to get hella-tight gear. So some people have to stick with what they got (like me). Actually I'm looking fro a summer job around here to get a better setup going but places only want to hire people going to college because they can use it a tax deduction or something.

depends what you get...also the sound could sound good to your ears and not to others for a few reasons

1- the sound you have with your instrument could be one sound you fuckin love but others may hate.. its just a preference

2- you might think your stuff sounds good but it can sound like the worst thing ever because youve never ever tried anything other than what u have..

even if you cant afford it ... go to a music store and try stuff out

depends what you get...also the sound could sound good to your ears and not to others for a few reasons

1- the sound you have with your instrument could be one sound you fuckin love but others may hate.. its just a preference

2- you might think your stuff sounds good but it can sound like the worst thing ever because youve never ever tried anything other than what u have..

even if you cant afford it ... go to a music store and try stuff out

good equipment is good equipment dude. theres a lot more to a good shit then just how it sounds. its also about....

-how it gives off the sound

-what direction the sound is pointed at

-the echo of the sound (reverb)

-how clean it sounds

....etc.

guitar shit is pricey. and so is bass shit. what's your point?

his point is it's easy enough to say "yea you just need top of the line equipment" but a small band who dont get paid for shows are hardly gonna have a spare $10k lying around are they? and parents are going to be reluctant to fork out thousands unless the band is really good with their shitty equipment. sorry, but it was a pretty pointless thing to say

guitar shit is pricey. and so is bass shit. what's your point?

his point is it's easy enough to say "yea you just need top of the line equipment" but a small band who dont get paid for shows are hardly gonna have a spare $10k lying around are they? and parents are going to be reluctant to fork out thousands unless the band is really good with their shitty equipment. sorry' date=' but it was a pretty pointless thing to say[/quote']

No it wasn't

Guest Guest 182
what do i do if my drumz dont sound 1337 enuf though????

You are a fucking wanker. You cut holes in your skins and expect it to sound '1337'. Nice?

Also, to the naive kids. Don't just save for an OCDP because Travis has it! Try some Pork Pie drums, or if you know exactly what you want, save for a custom set. I hope that helped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i dont quite agree with you. in the case of electronics, yes, the better the equipment the better you sound (sometimes, the person using the equipment has no idea how to get a good sound out of the amp therefore they sound band. ie. i saw a band were one of the guitarists had a fender delux amp, and he turned down the bass and the mid and just turned up the treble all the way and it sounded terrible).

but when it comes to drums, its mostly about tuning. the really popular (now defuncted) band in my school would sounded amazing both live and in recording. and they're drummers set i doubt costed more than about 500 (im not sure what kind of kit it. but anyways, the way it was tuned made it sounded huge (plus a fact hes an awesome drummer))

even in my bands case, when we recorded, our friend who recorded us helped tune our drummers set and it sounded really good. i think the only thing you really need to spend money on when it comes to drums is the cymbals and the heads. (and half the drummers in our school dont worry about cymbals cause they just take them from the school).

if you are interested in hearing them instant message me (nick ed smi) and ill send you a song or two

• 1 month later...
Over time' date=' I'm seeing more and more people saying "yeah, i just need something to learn on and be in my band with." or "i just want something cheap to hold me over for a while."

a lot of kids work their asses off for hours writing music trying to make it the best they possibly can, but then they play them, at a show or something, and people hate them. This is a hard point to make so bear with me. But basically, the better equipment you have, the better your going to sound. Your equipment is half of what makes the band. the other half is the music and stage performance itself. but whether or not a band has good equipment is what can make them, or break them. think of a local band in your area that everyone loves, isn't their equipment pretty good? or why local bands sound so good on recording, because they use good equipment on the recordings. why do you think people like hyler have such good equipment, and he tells you people to buy good equipment when you say "i just need something like a marshall avt" right now and he says to save up for a mesa. there's a reason he says to save up for a better amp. same with other musicians and guys at guitar center. because, if your going to want to be in a good, solid, tight (and i dont mean tight as in cool, i mean tight as in how well you know your songs, as a band, not just personally) band, then your going to have to have good equipment. the shittier the equipment, the shittier and more ammateur the band will sound. people are going to watch you and say "wow, these guys don't even work hard enough to have good equipment, what makes them think i should like them?". or, wouldnt you rather have them say "wow, they sounded so good tonight, they have their set as tight as it could be and you can actually hear the guitar and bass over the drums". it's whats going to make you or break you. and most people don't realize this.

(i posted this in bass and guitar sections to, but i was kind of hesitant to post this in drums section because most drummers buy good equipment as it is, but i just did it for the hell of it)[/quote']

dude dont listen to this kid guys, seriously, worry about your skills before the equipment. I have a mapex pro m set and paiste alpha cymbals, both mid level instruments and they sounded great in my bands recording and live. for doing local shows a mesa boogie amp is not gonna make u sound any better than a lower marshall amp. you can have the best equipment in the world and still sound like shit, and you could have shitty equipment and sound kick ass.

Over time' date=' I'm seeing more and more people saying "yeah, i just need something to learn on and be in my band with." or "i just want something cheap to hold me over for a while."

(i posted this in bass and guitar sections to, but i was kind of hesitant to post this in drums section because most drummers buy good equipment as it is, but i just did it for the hell of it)[/quote']

dude dont listen to this kid guys, seriously, worry about your skills before the equipment. I have a mapex pro m set and paiste alpha cymbals, both mid level instruments and they sounded great in my bands recording and live. for doing local shows a mesa boogie amp is not gonna make u sound any better than a lower marshall amp. you can have the best equipment in the world and still sound like shit, and you could have shitty equipment and sound kick ass.

you have a good point

• 4 weeks later...

equipment does not makeup HALF the band. I agree that it is important to use proper equipment that will get whats in your head out to the audience. however that doesn't mean you need the best set of maple custom drums, or the nicest marshall stack. It means don't go out and buy a westbury kit, or a Squire guitar. It is true that if you are going to make a purchase, save and get something proper instead of a splurge buy, but dont think that getting that nice equipment is half your battle of becoming a good band. The majority of what it takes to be a good band are the core things, good song writing, a good singer, good chemistry....... and practice practice practice practice practice practice pracite oh god I can't stress that enough.

If you are at all serious about doing something with your band, you better be willing to jam at LEAST 4 times a week for about 1.5-2 hours. That will make you sound tighter than a virgins asshole. And thats the really noticable thing of a shitty band live, things like when the kick and bass aren't bang on, or you miss a pause by even a split second, not if your playing a set of Yamaha stage customs nouveau instead of yamaha maple customs.

-gday

• 5 months later...