The Official Football Topic

Cuth

1 hour ago, ...and then said:

Hehe. The last few years have been pretty horrible then. ;)

@two

Haha. Being serious - i grew up when United weren't doing so well. It was pretty bad - Fergie was about to be sacked and there was a bit of a drinking culture at the club. I was 5-6 years old - so was too young to fully understand what was going on in truth. Like some of the others on here - i supported United through family, my granddad was from Manchester and got my dad into it, who then passed it on to me. My dad moved to London for work when he was very young so i've never lived up there - but we'd travel to games on the weekends. I had a season ticket for youth games as part of some membership scheme - so i got to see Nevilles, Butt, Beckham, Scholes etc play at Gigg Lane (i think it was Burys ground) all the time.

Being alot older now - with commitments its alot harder for me to see games in person - which doesn't really bother me too much, i think i've learnt alot more about the game from watching it on TV. I'm pretty grateful i got to witness near enough the beginning and the end of the Fergie Era and i know my dad is grateful he got to witness the Busby Babes era - so we're both pretty lucky i guess.

When it comes to supporting a team - you're usually born into it over here. But if you're not i guess just watch as many different games as you can and find a style/player you like. Maybe find a clubs that's been pretty stable - with good ownership, history and has a good relationship with the fans. Once you've done all that - watch the games and maybe join the teams forum or something and share what you think. The more games you watch, the more you'll be able to talk about. Finally - NEVER change clubs! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ...and then said:

Cool story man. Would love to have such a relationship with a club. 

I think its why the history of a club is so important - some events can be tragic like Munich 1958, Heysel and Hillsborough, but it further ingrains you into the club. I love reading about the times before i was born - so many stories and characters.  

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

They don't look interested. Messi off in the summer? 

Nah messi would never leave barca. It's his kingdom there. He isn't the type of player to take the challenge to go and see if he can make it in a different team. For example argentina such a great team and he can't even win a copa america which is ridiculously easy compared to euro. 

Draxler is a cunt, only in for the big money. Signed a long-term extension with Schalke and then wanted to leave soon afterwards to WOLFBURG soon afterwards and made it public. Then when things didn't go well there he started behaving like a crybaby again. Good player but wouldn't want such a personality in my locker room. 

Draxler is a cunt, only in for the big money. Signed a long-term extension with Schalke and then wanted to leave soon afterwards to WOLFBURG soon afterwards and made it public. Then when things didn't go well there he started behaving like a crybaby again. Good player but wouldn't want such a personality in my locker room. 

From what i understood at the time, Draxler wanted to leave Schalke and the club were very happy to let him go because the money they got for him was record breaking. Not much of an issue in my opinion. He stayed in Germany for his career when he could have made alot more going abroad. 

21 hours ago, Roux said:

From what i understood at the time, Draxler wanted to leave Schalke and the club were very happy to let him go because the money they got for him was record breaking. Not much of an issue in my opinion. He stayed in Germany for his career when he could have made alot more going abroad. 

Sure it was good money for Schalke but they were mainly happy because through his constant complayning he lost all credit from the fans and teammates. He was very popular before. 

I mean, if you sign a new contract you can't start complaining that you wanna leaves just months afterwards + he did basically the same in Wolfsburg when they underperformed last year  

Pretty good player for sure but these kinds of players need to think before signing a contract. 

Sure it was good money for Schalke but they were mainly happy because through his constant complayning he lost all credit from the fans and teammates. He was very popular before. 

I mean, if you sign a new contract you can't start complaining that you wanna leaves just months afterwards + he did basically the same in Wolfsburg when they underperformed last year  

Pretty good player for sure but these kinds of players need to think before signing a contract. 

He gave alot of good years to Schalke - his boyhood club. Signing a contract and leaving is MUCH better then leaving for free or wanting to run down the end of a contract. Although as fans, we'd love to see players show loyalty and respect - it just simply doesn't happen in today's game. Its not much different than you leaving your job for better pay/quality of life. He's a supremely talented footballer too - so maybe there is a bit more arrogance on his part, but i can't blame him for wanting to move up the ladder. 

Anyone thinking a player signs a contract because they intend to see it out is foolish, he got more money and Schalke maximise the value of their asset and risk him walking away on the cheap/free.

Loyalty in football is dead and feel Tuesday night probably vindicated the move on a professional level too. PSG is a step up and he will get to play in the CL every single season.