The Official Football Topic

Cuth

19 minutes ago, petros said:

Haha okay man we just disagree. Our history is NOT by any means comparable imo. No need to keep this going I guess. And you must know I don't care about real being the biggest club in the world. I didn't start supporting real for that. When I was young and selected my favorite teams real couldn't make it through the round of 16 each year and barcelona with ronaldinho and then with messi were dominating us and starting their dominant yeats. It's not that I care about it so much I just never found anyone that actually believed manchester as a club was bigger than real and I've obviously talked with some united fans. I found it odd how you guys said it and were so sure about it that's why I kept this going I was curious to see why you believe such bollocks. Now that I see your points I think you guys are wrong, and kinda miss the good old days with fergie that at least need some kind of validation you are a great team as finishing 6th in the table hurts, but obviously you do the same with me :lol: 

It's gonna be fun in here when real and manchester play for the super cap. Real never really pay attention to this kind of stuff and I know mourinhio will want to beat us. It's going to be a nice match.

I think Madrid/United/Milan have very very similar histories - all have had decades and decades of great teams/great managers/world class players and won many many trophies. I would say that had most of our great team in 1958 not died in the plane crash we would have won a few more European Cups - that was one of our best ever teams. 

Well i don't know where you live or background - but i would say this is all pretty common knowledge. And i've been all over the world and i've never heard anyone say a club is overall bigger than United. sure - more successful (Liverpool), but never bigger. 

I don't know about the Super Cup - your team, right now - is clearly few levels above us - we need a very good transfer window. Last few years have been difficult, (im sure alot of the fake fans have left) - but even Real have faced tough times in the past. 

6 hours ago, Roux said:

So what do you think Real Madrid has that is number 1 over United in the world? You realize its not just how many European Cups you have. Are you actually just going to contribute some sources for once?

LOL. What kind of sources do you want me to post. Champion League Titles for example? Number of registered fans --> United isn't Nr. 1 their either. 

32 minutes ago, Osgod said:

LOL. What kind of sources do you want me to post. Champion League Titles for example? Number of registered fans --> United isn't Nr. 1 their either. 

Hit me with your best. We've already established they have the most Europen Cups - that's all they have over United. So what else you got? I want some sources that Madrid have more fans in the world, more money, more value, more brand recognition, more shirt sales, more sponsors etc than anyone else - pretty easy to find on google.. 

Now don't give me some bullshit about 'Well European Cups mean everything' - they don't because that would mean Nottingham Forrest are bigger than Arsenal. So you need something else. 

24 minutes ago, Roux said:

Hit me with your best. We've already established they have the most Europen Cups - that's all they have over United. So what else you got? I want some sources that Madrid have more fans in the world, more money, more value, more brand recognition, more shirt sales, more sponsors etc than anyone else - pretty easy to find on google.. 

Now don't give me some bullshit about 'Well European Cups mean everything' - they don't because that would mean Nottingham Forrest are bigger than Arsenal. So you need something else. 

I'm away over the weekend but I'll come back to that when I'm back home next week. 

I finally found some time to write a bit about that topic.

Winning European Cups means a lot when you talk about "biggest club", if you wanna hear it or not. It´s not the only criteria but an important one. Nottingham Forrest, as you mentioned them, was a big club in history and no one talks about Arsenal as being one of the biggest clubs ever...because they are not!

ManU is one of the biggest clubs, there is no doubt about that and I never questioned that, but saying they're "hands down the biggest club" is ridiculous as there factors a lot more into it as simply "number of fans".

As you might see: These points are all facts! Number of titles, registered fans, value...

When we talk about overall fanbase it´s more difficult to assess and because of that there are mixed results:

Looking at social media followers, in 2015, ManU was third behind Real and Barca (http://www.businessinsider.de/the-19-most-popular-football-teams-on-facebook-twitter-and-instagram?r=UK&IR=T#/#3-manchester--england-17). When you also count TV-viewship ManU is leading the ranking according this list http://sokkaa.com/2017/03/27/top-7-football-clubs-with-biggest-fanbase-worldwide-today/3/.

You can argue what´s more important: Actual fans on social media platforms or, at least to some extent, an estimated number of views of the games on TV.

Of, course you can go far more into detail and collect more sources and input but this should demonstrate that you can´t say that "ManU is hands down the biggest club". It´s simply not true. I know you´re a fan and you might have a blurred view of the whole topic, but there might be some teams ahead of ManU in a lot of important categories...

• Like 1

Arsenal are certainly overall a much much bigger club than Nottingham Forrest - nobody would dispute that just because they have won a few European Cups. If you're talking about the biggest clubs in the world top 10 - then Arsenal would almost certainly be in there. 

Well i was the one telling you guys that there were other factors - you guys were the ones saying it was only because of European Cups!!! 

What the hell is 'registered fans'? Seems a little pointless if they have Benfica 2nd... your facts show Man Utd number 1 in value and above Real Madid in 'Registered Fans'? i asked for facts where Real Madrid where number 1? where are they?

Nobody is disputing the 'most successful' as i have mentioned a millions times -  Rangers would be number 1. Everyone knows the competition in Spain is pathetic - 2 teams practically every year competing for most of the trophies - Real or Barca are always going to be ahead in that list. 

Sure Real Madrid were top of that Forbes 'Value' list for 3 seasons in total - United were top for 7! So how were they always top? 

Here is my list,  - literally took 2 mins on google to find:

Shirt sales
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10620972/manchester-united-sell-more-shirts-than-any-other-club-in-world-football

Revenue
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38655480 

Social Media:

http://sokkaa.com/2017/03/27/top-7-football-clubs-with-biggest-fanbase-worldwide-today/3/

Website visits per month
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10725828/manchester-united-have-most-visited-club-website-in-the-world-says-uefa-report

Brand Value
https://www.statista.com/statistics/234493/football-clubs-in-europe-by-brand-value/

Most watched:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/09/manchester-derby-match-on-course-to-become-the-most-watched-matc1/

Most fans/following:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2012/May/manchester-united-global-following-confirmed-as-659million.aspx?pageNo=1

Even better than all of that... Forbes have entire article about it:

Manchester United Now Biggest Sports Team In The World - JAN 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2017/01/19/manchester-united-now-biggest-sports-team-in-the-world/#556ff1c123d4

I would say that its not just my personal view if a huge media company like Forbes says the same thing to back me up. 

Fully agree, winning trophies is important to this argument, but when you consider what Man Utd have won in addition to all of these other factors where United are CLEARLY Number 1 in MAJOR areas - i think its justified to call them the biggest team in the world. Its also worth noting that United has still achieved this despite being relatively unsuccessful the last few years. 

Registered fans = members...

I never said that titles is the only thing that matters but a major one.

Continue to live in your world where ManU is THE BIGGEST CLUB in the word...enjoy.

As I said, further discussions about that are useless as you don't refer to some of my points and only value statistics where United is Nr. 1 without seeing the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

BTW.: Social media following has other clubs infront of ManU. You quoted the same article as I did and you didn't even bother to read it! Lol! 

It's only when you factor in the TV-viewing (which I talked about is questionable) then United is number one in the ranking.  

Members of what? Season tickets? Really doesn't explain what that is. 

Okay mate - yep, even posted something from Forbes - but yeah i work for Forbes and wrote that article! I just blew you away with sources and you still can't repo

I just answered every single point - MULTIPLE times in some cases! I think you're just incapable of holding an actual debate - so you throw a little tantrum and act like we can't hold discussions. 

25 minutes ago, Osgod said:

BTW.: Social media following has other clubs infront of ManU. You quoted the same article as I did and you didn't even bother to read it! Lol! 

It's only when you factor in the TV-viewing (which I talked about is questionable) then United is number one in the ranking.  

Oh really - have a look at the last page - i posted this exact link and already explained Man Utd were really late to Social Media - Even Arsenal have more followers for example. 

Half our fanbase doesn't even have access to social media - WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED EARLIER. 

I asked for sources that sources that Real Madrid were number 1 at Fanbase, Value, Fans, Brand, sponsors, TV etc... which you said you would provided- you then proceeded to post sources where Man Utd were ahead of Real Madrid!! :rolleyes: Couldn't make this up!

13 minutes ago, Roux said:

Members of what? Season tickets? Really doesn't explain what that is. 

Okay mate - yep, even posted something from Forbes - but yeah i work for Forbes and wrote that article! I just blew you away with sources and you still can't repo

I just answered every single point - MULTIPLE times! I think you're just incapable of holding an actual debate - so you throw a little tantrum and act like we can't hold discussions. 

Oh really - have a look at the last page - i posted this exact link and already explained Man Utd were really late to Social Media - Even Arsenal have more followers for example. 

I asked for sources that sources that Real Madrid were number 1 at Fanbase, Value, Fans, Brand, sponsors, TV etc... which you said you would provided- you then proceeded to post sources where Man Utd were ahead of Real Madrid!! :rolleyes: Couldn't make this up!

WTF are you talking about dude.

You wrote Social Media in your list with a link that clearly shows that United is not number one when you look at SOCIAL MEDIA following. The biggest club in the world should have more followers, even if they are late to the party...right?

Where did I say that Real is number one in all of that!?

All I said is that United isn't "hands down the biggest club" and that there is a competition between a few teams for that position. I proved that with the things I posted.

You are clearly a fanboy, nothing bad about that. You guys also talked about thst Griezman and Ronaldo will join your team for next season as if it was a fact ...not going to happen either.

13 minutes ago, Osgod said:

WTF are you talking about dude.

You wrote Social Media in your list with a link that clearly shows that United is not number one when you look at SOCIAL MEDIA following. The biggest club in the world should have more followers, even if they are late to the party...right?

Where did I say that Real is number one in all of that!?

All I said is that United isn't "hands down the biggest club" and that there is a competition between a few teams for that position. I proved that with the things I posted.

You are clearly a fanboy, nothing bad about that. You guys also talked about thst Griezman and Ronaldo will join your team for next season...not going to happen either.

Half the fucking world doesn't have access to social media!!! HOW MANY TIMES??? China - 300m estimated United fans Bangladesh? Malaysia? all massive United fans- no access to social media. How hard is that to understand?

I asked for sources where Real were number 1 - you said you would provide them - you then posted stuff where United were number 1 or at least above real Madrid - fucking hilarious! 

What the hell has Ronaldo/Griezman have to do with this??? ;D i even posted twice that Ronaldo wasn't going to join!!! Fairly certain Griezman was about to join - until the transfer ban verdict. 

10 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Member = People who pay to become members of a club to support it. Don't know what's not to understand about this.

E.g. http://www.juventus.com/en/memberships/

Urm i guess the fact the site is in GERMAN. makes it kinda hard to understand when you don't speak german!  Oh dear .. this was the best you could come up with? 200k members? What next - the club who has the biggest carpark? 

Just now, Roux said:

Half the fucking world doesn't have access to social media!!! HOW MANY TIMES??? China - 300m estimated United fans - no access to social media. How hard is that to understand?

I asked for sources where Real were number 1 - you said you would provide them - you then posted stuff where United were number 1 or at least above real Madrid - fucking hilarious! 

What the hell has Ronaldo/Griezman have to do with this??? ;D i even posted twice that Ronaldo wasn't going to join!!! 

I'm not reading through pages of your United wankfest...

Ah nobody in China has access to social media and all the people in China are only United fans. Lol!

Don't you think other teamd would have to deal with that as well? That their Chineese fanbase doesn't have access to social media...!?

I never said that Real Madrid is number one in those categories. I said I'll show that United isn't clearly the biggest club in the world - which I did!! It's close between at least three teams, believe it or not.

It simply shows your blurred view of your club. Not every player (where is Griezman...?) wants to play for your club even if you overpay tremendously (e.g. Pogba). 

14 minutes ago, Osgod said:

I'm not reading through pages of your United wankfest...

Ah nobody in China has access to social media and all the people in China are only United fans. Lol!

Don't you think other teamd would have to deal with that as well? That their Chineese fanbase doesn't have access to social media...!?

I never said that Real Madrid is number one in those categories. I said I'll show that United isn't clearly the biggest club in the world - which I did!! It's close between at least three teams, believe it or not.

It simply shows your blurred view of your club. Not every player (where is Griezman...?) wants to play for your club even if you overpay tremendously (e.g. Pogba). 

How can you pull this 'can't have a discussion' thing when you won't even read the content then? That's complete ignorance. 

Of course they do - but United are by far the biggest supported team in Asia. 

http://www.mumbrella.asia/2015/08/man-united-is-asias-most-popular-football-club-except-in-japan-when-ac-milan-is-favourite/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/29/manchester-united-premierleague

- 325 million from the Asia Pacific and 108 million in China. - thats a HUGE fanbase. 

I never said every player wants to play for us? Where did i say that? I said Ronaldo (twice in the last pages) would stay and im pretty sure Griezman was ready to sign for United until the ban.

4 minutes ago, Roux said:

How can you pull this 'can't have a discussion' thing when you won't even read the content then? That's complete ignorance. 

Of course they do - but United are by far the biggest supported team in Asia. 

http://www.mumbrella.asia/2015/08/man-united-is-asias-most-popular-football-club-except-in-japan-when-ac-milan-is-favourite/

I never said every player wants to play for us? Where did i say that? I said Ronaldo would stay and im pretty sure Griezman was ready to sign for United. 

That's no ignorance. I simply didn't have the time to read through everything. I think it's ignorant when you say United is number one and are not willing to accept facts thst show differently.

All I was aiming for is to show that United isn't "hands down" number one. It's not that clear nor easy.

Look, United is a huge club, one of the biggest, and in some important categories they are number one, but in others they arn't. Just because a guy at Forbes writes an article saying United is number one doesn't make it more true.

25 minutes ago, Roux said:

Urm i guess the fact the site is in GERMAN. makes it kinda hard to understand when you don't speak german!  Oh dear .. this was the best you could come up with? 200k members? What next - the club who has the biggest carpark? 

I thought registered fans/members are an universal term...

Haha why is that not important!? Because United isn't leading in that category...right. 

Just now, Osgod said:

That's no ignorance. I simply didn't have the time to read through everything. I think it's ignorant when you say United is number one and are not willing to accept facts thst show differently.

All I was aiming for is to show that United isn't "hands down" number one. It's not that clear nor easy.

Look, United is a huge club, one of the biggest, and in some important categories they are number one, but in others they arn't. Just because a guy at Forbes writes an article saying United is number one doesn't make it more true.

So your saying we can't discuss anything when you don't even read what we write - you know how silly that sounds?

Your facts prove nothing to be honest, all the key areas United are easily on top and i have sources to back ALL those areas. 

My point was to say many many people think that we ARE the biggest club in the world - yet you two laughed at, mocked it and then acted like its a fanboy comment. 

Just now, Osgod said:

I thought registered fans/members are an universal term...

Haha why is that not important!? Because United isn't leading in that category...right. 

Well because Benfica and Sporting lisbon are in the top 5 for a start!! Membership isn't really a big thing here.

I don't know what you want. I posted a lot of key arguments directly referring to your postings showing United isn't number one and you either say these categories arn't important or say others where United are leading are more important...

Look, even if all the Chinese people who are United fans and can't have access to Social Media are following United right now you still wouldn't be number one.