The Official Football Topic

Cuth

14 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I've been critical of the board but I have to give them credit for the recent signings.

Very happy with Hart and Hernandez, not 100% on Arnautovic (blows hot and cold) & Zabaleta (bit over the hill) but I still think they have potential to be very good signings which is a lot more than I can say for the crap we signed last summer. Happy we've gone for proven players with PL experience this time.

Would maybe like one more centre back and then I'd be happy with the team:

GK: Hart/Adrian

RB: Zabaleta/Byram
CB: Reid/Collins
CB: Ogbonna/Fonte
LB: Cresswell/Masuaka

CM: Kouyate/Noble
CM: Obiang/Fernandes

RM: Antonio/Feghouli
AMC: Lanzini/Ayew
LM: Arnautovic/Snodgrass

ST: Hernandez/Carroll/Sakho

Couple of those players might go admittedly but strength in depth is not too shabby at all, hoping the crowd will get behind the team now with the board backing the manager on the pitch. 

Last season was a nightmare. All signings this summer are proven/experienced in this league. I'm interested to see where Antonio plays. Have a feeling you'll bring some younger players in on loan. 

1 hour ago, Roux said:

Last season was a nightmare. All signings this summer are proven/experienced in this league. I'm interested to see where Antonio plays. Have a feeling you'll bring some younger players in on loan. 

I'm really not interested in loans, they never seem to work out for us to be honest. Rumours are Wilshere who I would love to take a punt on (would actually take him on loan with an option to buy thinking about it)

Raul Jimenez is the other one, unsure of him, we don't need anymore unprolific strikers...unless he's being signed to keep Chicarito company. 

3 hours ago, Scott. said:

He'd be in my first 11 no doubt. 

Reid when fit plays, he's a given. Then it's out of Ogbonna and Fonte for the second place (unless Slav throws a curveball and goes 3-5-2) - I'd go Ogbonna all day long but will have to see how things look come the start of the reason.

So in conclusion....I don't know, soz. 

1 hour ago, petros said:

I wish Hernadez had gone to a bigger team though. I think he's better than to be playing in west ham.

Is he fuck. Who should he be playing for? The lad scores goals don't get me wrong but he's not deadly in front of goal and his all round game is poor. Hes not a good enough footballer to be at an elite club. That's why united binned him

5 hours ago, petros said:

I wish Hernadez had gone to a bigger team though. I think he's better than to be playing in west ham.

He's good enough to play week in week out for us or be a supersub for a top 6 team. At 29 im fairly certain he wants to play as much football as possible.

Guess he will have to settle for being at a non elite club like us. Poor guy.

Yeah don't get me wrong, we all know he isn't the complete striker but we haven't had a player score 10 Premier League goals since 2006-2007 season where Bobby Zamora amassed a mighty 11 goals, shocking I know. 

He might not be the complete striker but we can't attract complete strikers so I'll take someone who knows where the back of the net is.

Another shocking stat, 21 out of the 32 strikers that Gold and Sullivan have signed have scored less than three goals...

Problem with most of the top teams now is that they are all pretty much playing with one big number 9 up top - ie Costa, Kane, Zlatan, Lukaku, Lacazette. He's not going to fit into that system because he's not really a number 10.

Instead of Arnautovic, i would have bought Negredo - i'd say it was a fairly realistic transfer given his age and current club. He's a good striker imo, just needs to be at a team who can play to his style.  A 3-5-2 with Negredo and Hernandez would be pretty impressive imo. 

Edit: looks like you've been linked with him this summer. 

1 hour ago, Roux said:

Problem with most of the top teams now is that they are all pretty much playing with one big number 9 up top - ie Costa, Kane, Zlatan, Lukaku, Lacazette. He's not going to fit into that system because he's not really a number 10.

Instead of Arnautovic, i would have bought Negredo - i'd say it was a fairly realistic transfer given his age and current club. He's a good striker imo, just needs to be at a team who can play to his style.  A 3-5-2 with Negredo and Hernandez would be pretty impressive imo. 

Edit: looks like you've been linked with him this summer. 

I'd have quite liked Negredo but can't see it happening now.

IF we can keep Carroll fit I think him and Hernandez could strike up a decent partnership in a 3-5-2, cant see us playing it though. Doesn't really leave any space for Antonio and Arnie, they're not really wing backs.

Even though our results have been good pre season were still fuckkng way off. We still need 4/5 players. I've slagged city off for spending 100m on full backs but that's what we need ffs. how the fuck can we go into the season without a left back?? Still Jose is picking fucking Fellaini!!!

look at city's squad and look as United's. Its fuckkng embarrassing. Their bench is starting to look stronger than our first team

10 minutes ago, Roux said:

Yep - i agree. 3 needed minimum and of the absolute highest quality. My biggest worry is we only have one striker. Pay the extra 5mil and get Perisic! 

We have 3 strikers. Rashford and Martial too. I'm sick of them being forced out wide. They're not wingers

5 minutes ago, Scott. said:

We have 3 strikers. Rashford and Martial too. I'm sick of them being forced out wide. They're not wingers

Those two are better out wide imo - especially if we play 4-3-3. Both are too inconsistent in front of goal to lead the line now- their pace/dribbling is murder for teams if they play out wide. Martial in particular is soo much more effective on the left wing.

Put it this way, would you be confident winning the league if Lukaku got injured for a while and we had the choice of Martial/Rashford up front?

We need another proper number 9 capable of 20+ goals. 

Rashford is terrible at dribbling, poor close control but gets away with it because he's ridiculously quick, he's def a striker over a winger. The only way for Rashford to gain experience leading the line and being more clinical in front of goal is to give him chances up there. Can't see it happening, reckon Zlatan will sign another contract once he's fit again. 

Martial is a great dribbler though, I'll give you that. He's def a winger for me too. 

Is Perisic that good? seems like a bit of a workhorse whenever I've seen him play but never really struck me as an elite player. Suppose he's a bit of an old school winger which is rare these days but he's never blown me away when I've watched him. 

My main issue is that we haven't strengthend this summer. Lindelof has looked pure aids pre season, is Lukaku an upgrade on Ibra? Not really. So why should we think we're gonna challenge this summer?? Get some fucking quality in you cunts. If we start the season with just Lukaku and Lindelof we may scrape 4th. Add quality ffs. 

We should be bringing in at least another 4 players and shipping 3/4 out. 

Rashford will be a striker, just not yet - he's not going to get us 20+ goals, they'll be games where he'll play up top (like last season). I think he needs one more season being played out wide and getting physically stronger- his pace is ridiculous. If he can take his chances more next season then he'll be our main striker for years. 

Perisic is basically another Valencia - does an old fashioned winger job - high work rate, lightning quick, beats a man and puts in a shitload of crosses. I remember wanting him at United when hes was lighting up the Euros. 

Would have liked Bernardeschi, but he's just signed for Juve - i really rate him. 

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

@Roux thoughts on Matic? Done deal.

He'll do - not thrilled about him, but not disappointed either. Won 2 PL titles and does a good job in DM. I wish he was quicker and better in the air for a bigman, but a decent signing. 

Important thing is not Pogba can play further up and do some serious damage. 

I want 2 attacking players still.  Belotti or Perisic would make me alot more confident about the season. 

Do you still think we need another striker - you confident of winning without Lukaku?