NBA Topic

justin time

Felt the need to make this while sitting here watching the Cavs/Lakers game.  This should be another crazy year in the NBA in the West with the playoffs as opposed to the East, who only have like 5 teams above .500, rather sad.  A little pissed with how the All-Star team has been put together so far.  Discuss.

Referring to the East vs. West situation, Barkley was on PTI yesterday saying that your average 09-10 game is a joke because there are only very few really good teams. He then said (agreeing with Jerry West) that since there are a lot of perpetually losing teams, and it doesn't seem that the league actually has enough good players to support 30 teams, the league would actually benefit from reducing the number of teams.

Interesting idea. I'm sure the league could at least get rid of Memphis and Toronto.

i feel like there are a lot more players with superior talent NOW than there were in barkley's day.

sure, there were superstars, and i actually enjoyed growing up and watching '90's basketball moreso than today's game, but there are waay better athletes now.

and to justin, word. although i haven't watched much of this season, and am a nash fan, i'm still surprised paul isn't starting.   

i feel like there are a lot more players with superior talent NOW than there were in barkley's day.

sure, there were superstars, and i actually enjoyed growing up and watching '90's basketball moreso than today's game, but there are waay better athletes now.

and to justin, word. although i haven't watched much of this season, and am a nash fan, i'm still surprised paul isn't starting.   

word. i would say almost every team has at least one great player, maybe even "superstar", from the cavs to the nets. everyone does.

word. i would say almost every team has at least one great player, maybe even "superstar", from the cavs to the nets. everyone does.

This is where I'd like to point out that only 8 teams have won the NBA Championship in the past 30 years. Even if these teams have one or two good players, that typically means squat. Going by history, you need to be a stacked, powerhouse team to win anything.

This is where I'd like to point out that only 8 teams have won the NBA Championship in the past 30 years. Even if these teams have one or two good players, that typically means squat. Going by history, you need to be a stacked, powerhouse team to win anything.

yeah, but the original point was that he said there weren't enough good players to support 30 teams.  there is, they're just being stacked on certain teams.

Well that depends on what you mean by support. I get what your saying, but to me it seems like if there was enough high-caliber talent in the league, more than 8 teams would have won in 30 years. I don't feel like going and looking up a list for all the sports, but I'm pretty sure many more than 8 teams have won championships over 30 years in the NFL, NHL, and MLB.

Well that depends on what you mean by support. I get what your saying, but to me it seems like if there was enough high-caliber talent in the league, more than 8 teams would have won in 30 years. I don't feel like going and looking up a list for all the sports, but I'm pretty sure many more than 8 teams have won championships over 30 years in the NFL, NHL, and MLB.

Well, the NBA has been comprised of dynasties the last 30 years. You look at the back and forth between Lakers and Celtics in the 80's, into Jordan's Bulls wreaking havoc in the 90's, and not to mention the Spurs winning 4 in 9 years, it doesn't leave much "room" I suppose.  80's and 90's were just filled with top teams/dynasties.  But it's been getting better, seeing as 5 different teams have won in the last 6 years. 

Referring to the East vs. West situation, Barkley was on PTI yesterday saying that your average 09-10 game is a joke because there are only very few really good teams. He then said (agreeing with Jerry West) that since there are a lot of perpetually losing teams, and it doesn't seem that the league actually has enough good players to support 30 teams, the league would actually benefit from reducing the number of teams.

Interesting idea. I'm sure the league could at least get rid of Memphis and Toronto.

er wtf are you talking about, toronto is above 500 and they just beat LA..

er wtf are you talking about, toronto is above 500 and they just beat LA..

Lawl first of all, they're one game above 500. Don't make it sound like it's some kind of achievement. For all we know they could end the season sub-500, not even making the playoffs. Second, how many 500-plus years has Toronto had in its history? Can't be many. What's their home attendance been like since their inception? How many playoff games have they won?

Even if they do manage to make the Eastern conference playoffs, how far do you think they'll make it? Will they get entirely swept in the first round? Win one or two games? Or slip by to the second round and get pummeled? And if Bosh does leave, down the road Toronto fans will be looking back at the 09-10 season as "the glory days."

I know lower ranked seeds have made it far in the NBA in the past, but if you contrast how often it happens in the NBA to any other league, the occurrence is practically non-existent.

Well, the NBA has been comprised of dynasties the last 30 years. You look at the back and forth between Lakers and Celtics in the 80's, into Jordan's Bulls wreaking havoc in the 90's, and not to mention the Spurs winning 4 in 9 years, it doesn't leave much "room" I suppose.  80's and 90's were just filled with top teams/dynasties.  But it's been getting better, seeing as 5 different teams have won in the last 6 years. 

Its an inherent problem with the league when dynasty after dynasty takes the prize every year. When Magic and Bird left, Jordan came, when Jordan left, Kobe and Shaq, and then Duncan, and now... Kobe again. I'm just saying, you never see shit like that in the other leagues.