AVA General Discussion

n i k u

10 hours ago, knapton said:

sort of a new interview.  Obviously filmed a while ago but just released.  Kinda answers why Atom left, not that we really didnt know.

It was exclusive to the AVA Movement like 3 years ago. Theres 4 in total I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure ilan didn't do the drums for one of the most recent AVA EPs, I think ilan being there or not doesn't matter - if Tom wants to record he'll find someone. 

AVA has been dead AF for awhile, Ilan has no involvement and only shows up when Tom calls needing a studio drummer. Even "...of Nightmares" and "Chasing Shadows" EPs are not really "AVA" to me, they are just "Tom" projects. (I enjoy both, they just aren't "AVA" to me). The only thing keeping them somewhat alive is Kari posting throwback stuff on social media, and trying to associate it with some of these books.

I actually listened to Chasing Shadows at the gym yesterday for the first time in awhile and it was surprisingly quite refreshing. Tom craps these out but you can still tell there is some art/craft involved, and he's trying new things. That's a lot more "punk" than listening to some producer tell you to add more "Whoaaas" IMO. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

But what ever happened to the "Oh Ilan is amazing talent blah blah blah" Tom discards his "friends" pretty quick.

That was the hype of Dream Walker. Although Tom talks bullshit most of the time, he's pretty good at hyping up albums that are just about to be released or whatever.

One thing I do find weird is when he does discard his band mates and shit like that, we never hear of it. We didn't hear about Ryan Sinn, we haven't heard about Matt in a while, although I'm sure they get along. Same with David, who Tom seems to have forgotten. Can't even remember the bassists name that was there to replace Matt.

We never heard much about Atom leaving either.

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

AVA has been dead AF for awhile, Ilan has no involvement and only shows up when Tom calls needing a studio drummer. Even "...of Nightmares" and "Chasing Shadows" EPs are not really "AVA" to me, they are just "Tom" projects. (I enjoy both, they just aren't "AVA" to me). The only thing keeping them somewhat alive is Kari posting throwback stuff on social media, and trying to associate it with some of these books.

I actually listened to Chasing Shadows at the gym yesterday for the first time in awhile and it was surprisingly quite refreshing. Tom craps these out but you can still tell there is some art/craft involved, and he's trying new things. That's a lot more "punk" than listening to some producer tell you to add more "Whoaaas" IMO. 

Yeah, that EP is like a continuation of blink's Neighborhoods/DED sound merged with elements from the Dream Walker to me. The most AVA sounding song on that is Voyager until the chorus comes in then it sounds like blink. The title track I feel has a pretty consistent sound of AVA though. I'm a big fan of that EP. I listen to Chasing Shadows and Overload quite a lot.

18 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I listen to Chasing Shadows and Overload quite a lot.

Yup I was imagining Mark doing the backup vocals on Overload last night, definitely would've fit into NH/DED era Blink IMO.

17 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Atom just wanted to be a full time drummer and he's doing it with Against Me! at the moment. You can't really blame him for leaving. 

Agreed, that is the problem with being a band mate with Tom. You work when Tom feels like it, and he has zero regard for your situation. The Blink dudes at least had enough money to slide by for years without working, AVA dudes not so much.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

That was the hype of Dream Walker. Although Tom talks bullshit most of the time, he's pretty good at hyping up albums that are just about to be released or whatever.

One thing I do find weird is when he does discard his band mates and shit like that, we never hear of it. We didn't hear about Ryan Sinn, we haven't heard about Matt in a while, although I'm sure they get along. Same with David, who Tom seems to have forgotten. Can't even remember the bassists name that was there to replace Matt.

We never heard much about Atom leaving either.

Well we kind of got the stories.

Sinn was fired, probably because Tom felt he was a bad fit. Sinn said that the reasons were hypocritical and bullshit and then went and sold a Gibson guitar on ebay that Tom had given him as a gift. It was pretty clear he was bitter.

Atom, as they said, left because he needed a steady income and not a part time drummer thing. When you got bills piling up and no income, the choice is pretty obvious.

I think Matt was the only one that retired on good terms. I think he had kids and a family and touring for shit wages at the drop of a hat no longer suited his lifestyle.

Ilan was subjected to Tom's bullshit "Hey Ilan, you are amazing and we are going to make get famous together etc" and then a few moths later Tom was like "Ilan who?"

Dave was a long time friend of Tom's who has just been used by Tom. He's a really nice guy and I think when Tom got wrapped up in the whole Ilan thing it became "Don't need him anymore".

Tom's a piece of trash.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Sinn was fired, probably because Tom felt he was a bad fit. Sinn said that the reasons were hypocritical and bullshit and then went and sold a Gibson guitar on ebay that Tom had given him as a gift. It was pretty clear he was bitter.

Drugs might of been a reason. hence the "hypocritical" stance.

• Like 1

Atom is much better off with Against Me!, he's a great fit for them. 

also I prefer the last two AVA EPs to basically anything AVA has ever done - I like Dream Walker but I think I prefer them to that too. they're not amazing necessarily but I really like how they 'feel' I guess. especially songs like View From Below and Voyager and that mostly instrumental one I can never remember the name of. 

4 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Well we kind of got the stories.

Atom, as they said, left because he needed a steady income and not a part time drummer thing. When you got bills piling up and no income, the choice is pretty obvious.

I think Matt was the only one that retired on good terms. I think he had kids and a family and touring for shit wages at the drop of a hat no longer suited his lifestyle.

Ilan was subjected to Tom's bullshit "Hey Ilan, you are amazing and we are going to make get famous together etc" and then a few moths later Tom was like "Ilan who?"

Dave was a long time friend of Tom's who has just been used by Tom. He's a really nice guy and I think when Tom got wrapped up in the whole Ilan thing it became "Don't need him anymore".

Tom's a piece of trash.

Would be nice to have a full on article and interviews the way Mark and Travis trash talked Tom though haha. We never really got any of that from the AVA guys.

5 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yup I was imagining Mark doing the backup vocals on Overload last night, definitely would've fit into NH/DED era Blink IMO.

Agreed, that is the problem with being a band mate with Tom. You work when Tom feels like it, and he has zero regard for your situation. The Blink dudes at least had enough money to slide by for years without working, AVA dudes not so much.

Yeah, I definitely got the idea that Tom was saving these songs for blink too. I mean AVA has always had guitars in their tracks but Overload, Voyager and Artillery literally had what AVA never had previously, punk rock-ish choruses. Tom has often had songs written and intended for blink but used them in AVA instead though. Won't be surprised if Mercenaries from TDW is one of them either.

I heard that now Matt works in the orthopedic industry and he's managing a quite successful business.

Dave owns a coffee shop in San Diego.

I think they just lived their dream for 10 years and now are taking care of their family because you can't be a full time musician if you work with Tom. Maybe Matt should never have left 30 Seconds To Mars, I bet he regrets it now, seeing they success they've had.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I heard that now Matt works in the orthopedic industry and he's managing a quite successful business.

Dave owns a coffee shop in San Diego.

I think they just lived their dream for 10 years and now are taking care of their family because you can't be a full time musician if you work with Tom. Maybe Matt should never have left 30 Seconds To Mars, I bet he regrets it now, seeing they success they've had.  

Yeah definitely. 30 Seconds to Mars are just as active as AVA when it comes to recording music really, but the difference is they tour, whereas AVA don't. And considering 30 Seconds to Mars has a way bigger fanbase, the guys that aren't Jared Leto can probably afford having all that time off. Also I highly doubt Jared Leto is as controlling as Tom when it comes to writing and recording music too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah definitely. 30 Seconds to Mars are just as active as AVA when it comes to recording music really, but the difference is they tour, whereas AVA don't. And considering 30 Seconds to Mars has a way bigger fanbase, the guys that aren't Jared Leto can probably afford having all that time off. Also I highly doubt Jared Leto is as controlling as Tom when it comes to writing and recording music too.

Yeah, they sell out big arenas when they're on tour so they can easily afford that time off.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 8:12 AM, Kay said:

I'm pretty sure ilan didn't do the drums for one of the most recent AVA EPs, I think ilan being there or not doesn't matter - if Tom wants to record he'll find someone. 

Exactly. In fact, Tom hired Eddie Breckenridge (from Thrice, great bass player) to record the bass parts for The Dream Walker and, later on, Brooks Wackerman (Bad Religion, Avenged Sevenfold) to do the drum parts for the latest EPs -after the shows he did for Blink when Travis stayed on the States on that 'aussie' tour they did-. Breckenridge even appeared on some promo shots, as a band member.