AVA General Discussion

n i k u

On 7/20/2018 at 8:50 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I randomly decided to put AVA on shuffle last night on a two-hour drive. Ended up listening to AVA for the entire two hours. Damn, I forgot how much I like this band. Start the Machine, Heaven, Diary, Valkyrie Missile, Chasing Shadows, fucking good stuff.

yeah they have some pretty good shit

• Like 1

Valkyrie Missile is a very good song IMO. Just don't like the whole first minute of the track. They could've done without that. Maybe shorten the second verse as well. But the rest of the song is perfect as it is. Sounds like an actual modern blink song, especially in the outro with the octave chords. I would've been fine without the "we're angels & airwaves" part too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, theedge00 said:

I think ultimately what the problem with AvA is:

- Tom's voice is just way too limited and not interesting enough to carry the band.

- In the 10+ years they exist, they haven't changed/evolved their sound.

I think almost everyone would agree TDW was a pretty big change in their sound.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

TDW was a nice shift in sound. I really enjoyed that album most but would be ok with the band going back to their classic sound.

This is how I feel. I grew to love TDW with time and it's a great album, but I honestly would never get sick of their staple delayed guitars and long instrumental sections.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, knapton said:

Ive fallen in love with the wolfpack so much right now. The demoes especially. After that girl pulled on the heartbstrings then bailed im finding the lyrics super relateable. I never even knew what the song was about before tbh. 

Wolfpack is my favorite post WDNTW AvA song. The chorus is just so good.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:17 AM, knapton said:

Ive fallen in love with the wolfpack so much right now. The demoes especially. After that girl pulled on the heartbstrings then bailed im finding the lyrics super relateable. I never even knew what the song was about before tbh. 

If I remember correctly, Tom said the song is actually about the music industry, how it's twisted and vicious and full of mind games and stuff.

but I'd take that with a pinch of salt for 2 reasons - A. the lyrics are ridiculous vague and dumb as all hell and B. Tom is nuts

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

If I remember correctly, Tom said the song is actually about the music industry, how it's twisted and vicious and full of mind games and stuff.

but I'd take that with a pinch of salt for 2 reasons - A. the lyrics are ridiculous vague and dumb as all hell and B. Tom is nuts

Have you listened to the demo versions? They suggest a much more girl centered story, so it seems like he kind of changed his mind later. Either way I agree, the end result of the lyrics is just a mess.

23 minutes ago, Whales said:

Have you listened to the demo versions? They suggest a much more girl centered story, so it seems like he kind of changed his mind later. Either way I agree, the end result of the lyrics is just a mess.

I did listen to them like once, wasn't quite as in love with them as everyone else was. Wolfpack is one of the weakest tracks for me so I didn't pay it too much attention. 

3 hours ago, Cali Denial Cape said:

Its alright
A bit scathed
A bit lost
I've been played
I ain't that clever
a city boy that can never say never

Isn't dumb.. love those lines

Yeah I like those lines. I relate to it though. Actually didn't know it was about the music industry since the lyrics suggest it's more about a girl. I got proper played the year that song came out. Went through that shit and not long after the Wolfpack comes out and I just related to it on a personal level, especially the chorus.

"It's alright
I'm OK
I'm sorry
I've been played
I know I don't matter
Already moved on, I think I feel better
But if you care, I'll never say never"

the same chorus but from the demo. I love this. For me its so what i was going through. This girl used me for some weekend fun and then ditched. You tell yourself your over her and moved on but I know if we she were to text me i wouldnt hesistate to answer. 

At the time, this song was so spot on and i loved it