AVA General Discussion

n i k u

57 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Its a similar technique but a rip-off? Nah. Its like saying M+M’s and Natives are a Thunderstruck rip-off too. 

M&Ms and Natives are nowhere close to the similarity.  Natives ever so slightly, but the rest of the mix sounds nothing of resemblance.  Young London even has some of the same drums/roars.

21 minutes ago, Since88 said:

They sound nothing alike

Nothing? Really?

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

the first time i heard young london i thought the similar riff and the roars and drum beats in the intro are intentional homage to ac/dc.

i can't stand ac/dc, but i liked this ava song, so it's obviously not a straight copy. :D

It might be.  If ACDC was from London it'd be more clear.

4 hours ago, Since88 said:

No, Angus doesn't have a patent on hammer on's

Look I love Tom's writing and ik you are a huge AvA guy, but that is absolutely Thunderstruck intro, whether it was intentional or not.

There's a difference between having hammer ons and having the same exact tablature one step higher and the same backing guitar/drums.

It may have been a homage or inside joke honestly.  Not like it's a big deal.

On 2018-04-27 at 7:27 AM, Speedo's Edge said:

Look I love Tom's writing and ik you are a huge AvA guy, but that is absolutely Thunderstruck intro, whether it was intentional or not.

There's a difference between having hammer ons and having the same exact tablature one step higher and the same backing guitar/drums.

I have always thought that the mixing was pretty weird on that song though, probably intentional, but it could have been huge in terms of the sound they were aiming for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 12:30 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm excited about the idea of new AVA music, especially if it involves the rest of the band. But mostly I just want a chance to see AVA live again.

He's hinted at touring again, but honestly I think it's tough to see. The dude is over it. Though I guess the ONE good thing that could come of it - once he needs money bad enough, he'll probably offer some pretty cool VIP stuff for AVA shows. It would probably be a good chance to meet tom and get him to sign something or take a picture.

3 hours ago, horchata said:

He's hinted at touring again, but honestly I think it's tough to see. The dude is over it. Though I guess the ONE good thing that could come of it - once he needs money bad enough, he'll probably offer some pretty cool VIP stuff for AVA shows. It would probably be a good chance to meet tom and get him to sign something or take a picture.

And much crap as Tom gets for overpricing VIP stuff and meet & greets, the one time I did a meet & greet with him at a show it was extremely fairly priced. All you needed was an AVA Modlife membership which cost like $6 (though I think you paid for three months at a time, so I guess more like $18) and you got to hang out with the band for like 10-15 minutes. Comparing that to blink’s $500 meet & greets makes me think that Tom wasn’t behind those prices like we all thought...

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 10:27 PM, Speedo's Edge said:

It's closer to M&Ms - and if you actually learn this on the guitar, I chalk up the riff as being one of those "hey look how complicated this sounds" when really its hammer on's the open E which is extremely easy... Tom is notorious for creating riffs that sound "hard" but are technically very, very easy. 

14 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

And much crap as Tom gets for overpricing VIP stuff and meet & greets, the one time I did a meet & greet with him at a show it was extremely fairly priced. All you needed was an AVA Modlife membership which cost like $6 (though I think you paid for three months at a time, so I guess more like $18) and you got to hang out with the band for like 10-15 minutes. Comparing that to blink’s $500 meet & greets makes me think that Tom wasn’t behind those prices like we all thought...

True. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Travis and or Mark pushing those ridiculous prices.

• 4 weeks later...

i've been super critical of AVA since the very beginning. i absolutely hated the band for many reasons but i've been listening to the first two albums a lot lately. there are some super corny tracks on each one but overall i think they aged really well. the production is solid and tom's singing was still in tact.

california era blink might have swayed my opinion but i do recall at least appreciating WDNTW when it first came out and now i like it a lot. the production and creativity on the later releases suck.

I've always found Tom's voice the most irritating on that record. to this day, It Hurts is hilarious to me - the way it starts musically is great, it builds and your like 'hell yeah!' and then the verse starts and it's like the most garbled hilariously awful vocal anyone has ever recorded. it's such a shock to the system.

I will never understand the love for WDNTW. Terrible lyrics, simplistic songs drenched in cheap synth, absolutely shockingly awful vocals, recycled blink parts... it's all over just gross to me. 

• Like 1

I think at the time Tom didn't understand his voice since his voice changed in the middle of recording it. On Distraction, he still sounds like the Tom from the smiley face album. But on the rest of the tracks, he's sounding more croaky or something. I actually liked it to be honest. It's the only album where he's sounded like that. I like it more than his voice from 2007-2014. Although his voice has changed again. On songs like Anomaly and Invisible Parade he sounds completely different but I'm a fan of his voice.

I actually think WDNTW is a great album lyrically outside of that "I think I like today, I think it's good" line. But like Kyle, I think the album is so pretentious. A lot of the songs lead to nowhere. Valkyrie Missile sounds fucking brilliant. That intro when all the delayed guitars come in and the drums kick in. The U2 style verses. Even the chorus sounds good. But the song falls flat because of how repetitive it is and how long it is. Distraction has a great build up but I don't like the rest of the song. Do It For Me Now sounds great but after the first chorus, it's boring. The Adventure, same thing. A Little's Enough is good but the bridge could've been better. The War sounds fucking great with that riff but again, the song is repetitive.

The Gift is just long and boring. It Hurts sounds great but there's something missing. It needs more because the song falls flat after the first chorus. Good Day I find boring and can't remember it outside of that terrible lyric. Start the Machine I think is the only song he got 100% right for that album. It's not too long and it actually leads somewhere after the second chorus. Every song has amazing ideas though. Such a shame because like Mark said in that interview in 2006, they could've been amazing blink-182 songs.

• Like 1

Yo, I've been wanting to have a proper discussion about Tom's voice for the longest time. He's said a number of times how after Blink broke up he "learned how to sing" and everyone always criticizes him because he sings like a weirdo live and in AvA (if you don't like it, I do.) I think what he's trying to say is that he learned how to sing properly, even if he doesn't do so half the time. Just listening to him in AvA in studio and in some videos and such, you can tell he's at the very least using his lungs to hit notes. In Blink he was always yelling and being a lot more "punk" in that respect. Regardless of whether he ruined his voice in other ways, I think that's something people tend to miss. He deliberately changed his singing style because he got some help on how to "sing" instead of just doing vocals. Good, bad, terrible, artistic, whatever you want to call it is fine. I just think that point is often missed when I see discussions about his voice change