The tennis thread

theedge00

1 hour ago, Mitch. said:

Agree with all these.
I know a lot people don't recognise surfing as a sport, but what Kelly Slater has done in surfing is unbelievable.  11 world titles, which is competed over a year.
Could also throw Micheal Schumacher in the conversation also.

Fuck, gotta throw Shawn White in there too... Dominates snowboarding and also elite skateboarder, second to do a 900 and all and I believe he's semi pro surfing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Fuck, gotta throw Shawn White in there too... Dominates snowboarding and also elite skateboarder, second to do a 900 and all and I believe he's semi pro surfing?

Shawn  White too!  100%
I know he's a rad skater too!  Didn't know about him surfing though? 
I follow surfing big time, and never heard a thing.  He probably shreds, but he's defiantly not semi pro!

11 minutes ago, Mitch. said:

Shawn  White too!  100%
I know he's a rad skater too!  Didn't know about him surfing though? 
I follow surfing big time, and never heard a thing.  He probably shreds, but he's defiantly not semi pro!

https://www.theinertia.com/mountain/shaun-white-announces-hell-forgo-2018-olympics-to-qualify-for-wsls-championship-tour/

15 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Shit, I had no idea hey.  Should be interesting to see if he does qualify.  Only 32 spots on the tour.  And it all depends on how he does in a 35 minute heat too.

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, Scott. said:

Yeah can’t play past 11pm because it’s in a residential area which is fair enough imo. 

I haven’t seen any of it with the wrld cup and no Murray. Can’t be arsed, final will be shit too

Aaah, Nadal-Djoko was insane man! Literally an amazing match!

• 5 months later...

Must be hard to have your career taken from you by injury. At the end of the day,  no-one can take away what he has achieved, he's been a true champion of the sport and has helped increase national interest in tennis again. 

At least he has time now to spend with his family and who knows, maybe a career in coaching awaits? I'm sure there are plenty of players willing to work with him!

he sounded like he’s going to get a hip replacement in his post match interview. Will take him time to get back. Is it worth it? If he did it and won a grand slam in say 3/4 years it be the most incredible Hollywood movie wouldn’t it. 

9 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

Think the surgery is just more for better quality of life moving forward. Reckon his career is over now. 

Great fight today though. Always had that in abundance mind you. What a player and what a career. 

Britain’s best ever sportsman? He is for me. 

Shame he wasn’t around in the generation before his, all those years of watching Henman fail, Murray would of cleaned up, but then he’ll always be remember as one of the big four. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. 

Who’s the next big star coming through? Can’t say I pay much attention outside the grandslams

34 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Britain’s best ever sportsman? He is for me. 

Shame he wasn’t around in the generation before his, all those years of watching Henman fail, Murray would of cleaned up, but then he’ll always be remember as one of the big four. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. 

Who’s the next big star coming through? Can’t say I pay much attention outside the grandslams

Easily our greatest ever sportsman. 

Kyle Edmund is for sure our next guy to make it to the top. Already playing at such a high level and seems to have the same level of focus and commitment as Murray. After that from what I’ve seen Cam Norrie looks promising. Only really watched him in Davis Cup matches but there seems to be real promise there. Other than that it’s just a few bang average kids. They’re still young though so can’t say for sure.