Need some help on finger placement for an intro

Meltdown Tracker

E-------3----------3----------0----------2----------0----------|

B-------0----------0----------0----------3----------1----------|

G-------0----------0-(x16)----0----------2----------0----------|

D-------0-(x16)----2----------2-(x8)-----0-(x8)-----2-(X16)----|

A-------2----------3----------2----------0----------3----------|

E-------3---------------------0----------3----------0----------|

When I get to the second last and the last chords, I don't know the most efficient finger placement.  I can't really get my fingers over to the third fret on the E string fast enough, maybe I just haven't built up the finger dexterity to do it yet but could someone tell me the best way to play this in relation to which finger should be on which string/fret?

Aside from those last 2 chords, this intro is really easy.

Mostly it's just practice. You'll get used to the movement from one chord to the next.

For the second last chord, I'd put my middle finger on the lowest E string (3), lay my index finger across the 3 highest strings (on 2) and put my ring finger on the B string (3). If it gives you trouble, you could get away with just muting the low E string with your thumb, then it's just a normal D chord.

The last chord is just a C Major, so I'd put ring finger on A string, middle finger on D string and index finger on B string.

Mostly it's just practice. You'll get used to the movement from one chord to the next.

For the second last chord, I'd put my middle finger on the lowest E string (3), lay my index finger across the 3 highest strings (on 2) and put my ring finger on the B string (3). If it gives you trouble, you could get away with just muting the low E string with your thumb, then it's just a normal D chord.

The last chord is just a C Major, so I'd put ring finger on A string, middle finger on D string and index finger on B string.

Thanks dude, I'm going to go practice now! :-D

The only problem I'm having is my middle finger on the low E string and it getting in the way and ruining the sound of the open A string.

You'll just have to try and bring your hand around from underneath the neck a bit more so you angle your fingers right. You should be able to hold down any combination of strings without touching the strings above or below it.

Do you mean the fourth chord? The D? Yeah actually, using your thumb would work fine if you can get it around comfortably. Guitar teachers mostly tell you not to use your thumb, but I do every now and then.

Yeah I agree completely. I never had lessons so I never heard those 'rules', but some people I know who used to have lessons thought it was strange that I used my thumb for a few chords because they were told not to.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a great rule to have to protect your technique while you're developing it, however, not using your thumb is purely technique oriented and that "rule" can be broken anytime it inhibits the technique which it's trying to protect.

So ask yourself this, "if I don't use my thumb for this chord, will my technique be better or worse?"

If not using your thumb causes a certain chord to require your fingers crossing in an unnatural way (IE your 4th finger in between your 1st and 2nd and your fifth finger on the opposite side) then chances are you will actually do more harm to your technique if you don't use your thumb.

More times than not, pull everything except the end of your thumb away from the neck, but in scenarios where your technique is worse off to not use your thumb.... use your thumb =)

On a side note, your second to last has a five chord where your leading tone (F# or High E's 2nd fret) doesn't resolve itself. Leading tones, especially in dominant chords always want to resolve up, even in deceptive resolutions based on a six they still move up. In this case I can see it wanting to move up from the F# to the G in your IV chord (High E's 3rd fret)

• 10 years later...