Yellowcard Reunion!

juice182

I was listening to One For the Kids today and I love it to death. Sad that they pretty much ignore that album's existence at concerts (except for the acoustic version of October Nights that they're currently playing, which I love). They treat that album the same way blink treats Dude Ranch / Cheshire Cat. I was also hoping they'd play a song off The Underdog EP on this final tour and I'm kinda bummed that they aren't, but their setlist is pretty great so I can't complain much. Just the fact that they're playing Gifts and Curses is so awesome to me.

On 11/22/2016 at 9:56 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I was listening to One For the Kids today and I love it to death. Sad that they pretty much ignore that album's existence at concerts (except for the acoustic version of October Nights that they're currently playing, which I love). They treat that album the same way blink treats Dude Ranch / Cheshire Cat. I was also hoping they'd play a song off The Underdog EP on this final tour and I'm kinda bummed that they aren't, but their setlist is pretty great so I can't complain much. Just the fact that they're playing Gifts and Curses is so awesome to me.

Yeah it's a great record. Songs like October Nights are super fun, invokes Saves the Day. If the lyrics were better it would be a truly great pop-punk album, it sounds just as good as Through Being Cool. Really some cool guitar and drum parts in there.

And holy shit how had I never heard Bombers before? Song is amazing.

• Like 1

Yeah it's really great. Sounds huge and powerful, love the LP comes up with a cymbal pattern to compliment the violin in the intro/chorus.

Only YC i've never listened to is Lights and Sounds, because I heard it was mediocre and disappointment after OA. Then I realized that OA is probably me least favorite album they did with LP so that's really not a very good reason at all for me to L&S. Gonna dive in today.

L&S is different, but good. Probably one of my least favorite YC records, maybe my absolute least favorite, but I still like it. It has some really great songs.

Sure Thing Falling is probably my favorite track. I also love How I Go, and Holly Wood Died. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I like that album, even if it is one of their weaker albums.

On 11/12/2016 at 7:29 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I saw them twice on this tour! Once in LA at the Ocean Avenue show and then again in Salt Lake City. Both shows were amazing. The Ocean Avenue show was incredible. I almost teared up a few times because I have so much nostalgia for that album. Couldn't believe I was getting the chance to hear songs like Twentythree, One Year Six Months, and Back Home.

Me too! The Salt Lake City show was INSANE. It was literally the loudest and craziest show I've ever been to in my life, which I wasn't expecting at all. Keep in mind I've seen Yellowcard six times and this last time at Salt Lake blew everything else out of the water. The crowd was so loud and they were so into it that I actually had to make my way towards the middle/back of the crowd instead of staying up front because it was too crazy up there.

I just barely started a new YouTube channel full of all the live videos I've taken over the years. Here are some of the Yellowcard videos I took from this tour:

Been crazy busy with work and haven't been able to post for a while, but DUDE. These videos are incredible. From one superfan to another, THANK YOU!

And crazy jealous that you got to see the Ocean Ave show.

On 11/27/2016 at 0:46 PM, decisions said:

Yeah it's really great. Sounds huge and powerful, love the LP comes up with a cymbal pattern to compliment the violin in the intro/chorus.

Only YC i've never listened to is Lights and Sounds, because I heard it was mediocre and disappointment after OA. Then I realized that OA is probably me least favorite album they did with LP so that's really not a very good reason at all for me to L&S. Gonna dive in today.

There are definitely some duds on Lights and Sounds, but the highs on that album are incredible. Rough Landing Holly, Holly Wood Died, Martin Sheen or JFK, Lights and Sounds, City of Devils and Space Travel are all incredible.

Definitely a polarizing album, but I respect the hell out of any band that tries a concept album

Lights & Sounds totally blew me away. It's my second favorite Yellowcard album. I think it's certainly their most cohesive record, easiest to listen to all the way through without skipping anything for me.

Also finally I found a YC where I can say that almost all of the lyrics are good. Besides Paper Walls there is always a lot of cringey melodrama in their lyrics, but here they actually did a really good job in pushing themselves lyrically. A good example is Sure Thing Falling, which is one of the best songs on the album overall - "He likes vampires and hit list radio, he turns it off when he hears this one song he knows, and you, breathe the windows down." This line just really gives a lot of good imagery, I imagine the girl the speaker of the song is in love with in the car with this other, annoying, simplistic guy. The girl gives a great big sigh, "breathing the windows down" to show her dissatisfaction with being with this other guy, and it's just such a simple thing but it is actually a clever, non-cliche way of expressing emotion, which is something that is hard to find in a lot of other YC lyrics on other albums. And then also there's a twist later in the song where "breathing the windows down" becomes a positive thing - instead of sighing it likely refers to conversation, laughter, sexual excitement, etc.

So many good moments. The vocal melody that opens Holly Wood Died, the Waiting Game Chorus, and City of Devils!

City of Devils reminds me that this is also the first time I really didn't feel like YC slowing things down hindered them. The slower songs are really well done here, which is amazing considering how much they plague Ocean Avenue (and even Paper Walls, to an extent).

Wish they had kept going in this darker direction. Sure, they didn't totally abandon it with Paper Walls but I think all of the hate this album got was just people being immature by not giving the new direction a shot and simply wanting more OA - an album that has its moments but is harmed by boring ass, mid-tempo, melodramatic drivel for half of its runtime.

The only real problem I have with L&S is that it lacks speed a power, Grey isn't their best effort at those two things, that's for sure. If there were one or two songs like Takedown on here it would be their best album, easily.

If I had to rank the albums now that I've heard them all:

1. Paper Walls

2. Lights & Sounds

3. Southern Air

4. One for the Kids

5. Ocean Avenue

6. When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes (opinion on this one has really diminished, really only like the first two songs, maybe this will change)

7. Yellowcard

8. Where We Stand

9. Lift a Sail

• 2 months later...

Just got back from the Sydney show. They had great energy, and the crowd was really into it, but the sound was shockingly bad, and they didn't seem like anywhere near the live band I remember, pretty flat.

Odd setlist for a farewell show too I thought...

Believe
Lights and sounds
Way away
Always summer
Five becomes four
Rest in peace
What Appears
Rough landing holly
Awakening
Light up the sky
Sing for me
Lift a sail
The place we set afire
With you around 
Cut me mick
Breathing
Empty apartment 
Hang you up
Be the Young
Holly Wood Died

Only one
Ocean avenue

The volume was turned up so high the speakers couldn't handle it. The guitars were pretty much unable to be heard, all you got was obnoxiously loud drums and bass. Add to that Ryan's voice was shot, he was guzzling honey in between songs. 

Theyre playing Ocean Ave in full tomorrow night. I'm tossing up whether it's worth going. 

They're playing Ocean Ave in full at the show I'm going to as well. That album means so much to me, I'm really excited to get to see them play it one more time. That really sucks that the sound was so bad. The same thing happened once when I saw Taking Back Sunday but it was a shitty venue (it was in high school auditorium...) so I assumed that was the reason.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 23/6/2017 at 5:17 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I went to Yellowcard's second-to-last show back in March. It was super bittersweet. This was one of the coolest parts:

That was cool. It seems like Ryan is going to make a solo record.

• Like 1