What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

I don't think children are treated differently because they're more likely to commit certain crimes. It's because they lack the knowledge, maturity and decision-making skills of adults. They tend to struggle especially with appreciating potential consequences of their actions. These factors are true whether you're talking about homicide, petty theft, speeding, drug use, vandalism or whatever. And yes, if an adult committed murder and their IQ was low enough that they couldn't fully understand what they were doing, then I'd think they should be treated differently in the criminal justice system (not necessarily more leniently, just differently).

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

I don't think children are treated differently because they're more likely to commit certain crimes. It's because they lack the knowledge, maturity and decision-making skills of adults. They tend to struggle especially with appreciating potential consequences of their actions. 

Well duh, you could say that of most people who commit homicide. Such "thinking" is characteristic of people who commit crime. It's not a question of age. If it were, there'd be more teen killers. Or what is it about 99.99% of minors who seem able to deal just fine with their "lack of knowledge, matury and decision-making skills" without resorting to gruesome acts of murder?

I would argue that most adults who commit premeditated murder have the knowledge and maturity to understand the consequences of their actions. Their decision-making skills are probably lacking and they might not be terribly mature or knowledgeable in other respects (or they might be, I guess it depends), but that doesn't discount the fact that they can fully appreciate what they're doing in a way that a 12-year-old can't be expected to.

Was dragged to see the new Fast & Furious movie. All the car scenes (50% of the movie) were boring as expected, and Charlize Theron overacted her role.

5 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I would argue that most adults who commit premeditated murder have the knowledge and maturity to understand the consequences of their actions. Their decision-making skills are probably lacking and they might not be terribly mature or knowledgeable in other respects (or they might be, I guess it depends), but that doesn't discount the fact that they can fully appreciate what they're doing in a way that a 12-year-old can't be expected to.

What is there about a crime of this nature that a 12-year-old cannot fully appreciate? The only thing I can come up with is that adults may have more to lose, but that should have nothing to do with criminal responsibility. Moreover, why should we automatically assume that a 12-year-old cannot fully understand the consequences of his/her actions? Should criminal justice be based on blanket assumptions?

The girls struck their friend 20 times with a knife, feeling no anger, hatred or rage while blood was spurting out their friend, who was screaming in agony. A normal person, whether 12 or 32 years, would struggle to stab even their sworn enemy. There's nothing about this crime that fits the behavior of a 12-year-old. I'd expect to see insane acts of this nature from adults.

The kids honestly seemed like idiots who were wrapped up in a fantasy world. While some adults do live in fantasy worlds, it's less common and there's a much higher expectation for them to know the difference and behave accordingly.

Also, the one who did the actual stabbing has schizophrenia and seems to be pretty detached from reality. Admittedly, that's not the same as being a "normal" preteen, but it's another factor to consider when deciding what she deserves (or needs).

Ghost In The Shell (2017)

Was pleasantly surprised. I think they did a great job adapting the film to live action and kept the spirit (heh) alive with it. Loved seeing the visual references to the first film and I thought Scarjo did a bang up job as the Major. The entire film is about white-washing and identity in a way. So people really missed a good meta commentary there.

B+

Kubo and the Two Strings.  Holy shit, if you're any fan of animation, especially stop-motion animated films, I can not recommend this movie enough.  I fucking loved it, it was directed and lead animated by the same guy that lead animated Coraline, and I enjoyed Coraline, but this film was even better in my opinion.  Heck, I think I'd say its my favorite stop motion film to date (And yes I've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas).

I think it's perfect in that you'll never know if he was actually insane or just being fed into believing and conditioning to be crazy.

Mommie Dearest (1981)

Brilliant movie. Watch it every 5 years or so and still love it. Faye Dunaway should be given a retroactive Oscar.