What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

16 minutes ago, knapton said:

Do you need to see any of the previous Aliens to enjoy this movie?

It's a sequel to Prometheus, but the key events of that film are quickly summarised in Covenant anyway. As for the rest of the Alien films, all of them take place after Covenant, so they're not necessary.

The only Alien movie that I've seen that I've truly loved is the first, Alien.  Aliens is OK, but its so different, Alien is like a legit horror movie, while the rest are action movies, its a weird stark difference.  I haven't yet seen the new one, but after Prometheus, I'm really in no rush for more of them.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, knapton said:

Do you need to see any of the previous Aliens to enjoy this movie?

I'd definitely watch Prometheus before Covenant. Covenant IMO is way better though. Still Prometheus is solid, and suits the style of the Alien movies. Not ridiculously stupid like AVP or Alien 3-4 (hated those).

On 5/21/2017 at 1:58 AM, M!ke said:

The only Alien movie that I've seen that I've truly loved is the first, Alien.  Aliens is OK, but its so different, Alien is like a legit horror movie, while the rest are action movies, its a weird stark difference.  I haven't yet seen the new one, but after Prometheus, I'm really in no rush for more of them.

Covenant is closer to the original Alien than any of them, so get watching! It's sci-fi horror, has some action parts but it's not like an action movie the way Aliens was.

But I have the opposite view. I prefer Aliens to Alien haha. I got bored a little bit watching the first one, takes a while to get into it. Felt the same way about Covenant too. Slow, suspense movies, then eventually all hell breaks loose. Nothing wrong with that though, I can appreciate them. Aliens is more similar to the original Predator movie in a way. Except shit loads of aliens rather than just one.

Midnight Meat Train: 5/10.  Uhh wtf, idk why this horror suspense flick actually got good critic reviews. Like really good. It was cheesy over the top blood bath. I'll say it was kind of fun, you know to watch with some friends but it wasn't the least bit interesting. Dude slaughters ppl on a train.. Bradley Cooper gets caught in the middle of it all.  Decent slasher flick though, just thought there'd be more depth with the reviews.

Wedding Crashers: 10/10.  Could watch this movie 100 times. Still holds up, absolutely hilarious.

Hot Fuzz: 7.5/10. It's good for what it is. I actually really enjoyed this one. Funny, upbeat, kind of stupid ending but that's to be expected. Like the lead actor in this one. Bad guy was a bit cheesy but I'm sure that was intentional.

Barton Fink: 7/10. First time actually watching this, and I'm a Coens fan. It was just pretty good, I got it, all the metaphors and symbolism, it was partly about the writers themselves.  Good, just not my favorite

Get Me Roger Stone: 8/10. Great fun documentary I thought. Look into corrupt politics

10 minutes ago, It'sTimeToComeHomeMark said:

Midnight Meat Train: 5/10.  Uhh wtf, idk why this horror suspense flick actually got good critic reviews. Like really good. It was cheesy over the top blood bath. I'll say it was kind of fun, you know to watch with some friends but it wasn't the least bit interesting. Dude slaughters ppl on a train.. Bradley Cooper gets caught in the middle of it all.  Decent slasher flick though, just thought there'd be more depth with the reviews.

Wedding Crashers: 10/10.  Could watch this movie 100 times. Still holds up, absolutely hilarious.

Hot Fuzz: 7.5/10. It's good for what it is. I actually really enjoyed this one. Funny, upbeat, kind of stupid ending but that's to be expected. Like the lead actor in this one. Bad guy was a bit cheesy but I'm sure that was intentional.

Barton Fink: 7/10. First time actually watching this, and I'm a Coens fan. It was just pretty good, I got it, all the metaphors and symbolism, it was partly about the writers themselves.  Good, just not my favorite

I always liked Hot Fuzz. I'd give it a 7.5 or 8 like you. Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz are way better than the Worlds End or whatever it was called though. Something about that movie seemed off to me. Same producers, same people, same everything pretty much. Yet it didn't feel like that when I first saw it.

• Like 1

I love all three, the blood and ice cream trilogy is probably one of my favourite collection of film work from the UK. Hot Fuzz is the best though, hands down. to me giving it a 7.5/10 is almost an insult haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I love all three, the blood and ice cream trilogy is probably one of my favourite collection of film work from the UK. Hot Fuzz is the best though, hands down. to me giving it a 7.5/10 is almost an insult haha

To be honest, Hot Fuzz is well written for a movie that's meant to be a spoof of action movies haha. Great acting & character development.

• Like 1

Saw Alien Covenant twice last weekend. Easily my third favorite Alien movie after 1 and 2.

I think Prometheus is really underrated and I was very happy to see a sequel. And I agree with @Nosferatu, Covenant feels more like the original Alien than any of the rest. It's not as good as Aliens, but it still feels more like the original Alien than Aliens does.

Anyway, I really liked it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

saw it Saturday night. It was pretty good I'd say. despite everybody gets dumber from the cryogenic sleep apparently.

I thought there was only one real instance of crew stupidity.  I still am not a fan of this argument in a horror/monster movie.  People do stupid things everyday in real life. 

Falling vending machines kill more people every year than sharks. 

37 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I thought there was only one real instance of crew stupidity.  I still am not a fan of this argument in a horror/monster movie.  People do stupid things everyday in real life. 

Falling vending machines kill more people every year than sharks. 

Spoiler

I mean, that guy just stuck his head in the baby alien pod. How fucking dumb was that? How about killing David immediately finding out he did those experiments on Shaw? Why not go around the storm? Why send so many to wander around on a planet with literally no protection outside of guns? Why not get the computer to make sure that's not David? Why not trap the alien in one area and gun it down there? Why didn't they fly around the storm? Could they not predict a storm was headed that way? It kind of just goes on and on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:
  Hide contents

I mean, that guy just stuck his head in the baby alien pod. How fucking dumb was that? How about killing David immediately finding out he did those experiments on Shaw? Why not go around the storm? Why send so many to wander around on a planet with literally no protection outside of guns? Why not get the computer to make sure that's not David? Why not trap the alien in one area and gun it down there? Why didn't they fly around the storm? Could they not predict a storm was headed that way? It kind of just goes on and on.

Spoiler

Yeah, Captain Oram sticking his head in the egg was stupid as fuck, but I guess I explained it away by the fact that he was trying REALLY hard to be a good captain, and he sucked and no one liked him.  

Walter didn't know who Shaw was, and had no reason not to believe David's story about how she died, until David revealed his true intentions.  

I can't explain the storm stuff, if they really woke up 7 years early from their original mission you'd think you could wait even a month for the storm to clear.  My guess was it was a lazy plot device to show how "badass ya'll" Tennessee was.  But during the rescue mission the crew on the planet didn't really have time for the rescue ship to come, so it needed to cut through the storm. 

I think there are some deleted scenes on youtube/rumored, but Walter had basically already scanned the planet and has determined the conditions were almost identical to Earth.  And I think there is a deleted scene of him stepping out of the landing craft first.  There's no reason for the crew to just expect some Alien spore is gonna infect them and come ripping out of their body, hah.

The computer (Muthur) is from the Weyland-Yutani corporation, as are the two androids and as long as David knows the access codes (which he either already knows or downloaded from Walter during their battle) the ship really doesn't care unless the crew were to ask who the android on board was.  As far as I understand it isn't a sentient being like David/Walter are. 

tldr: I'm a huge nerd of the entire Alien universe and have thought about this shit way too much.  I'm glad you liked it though despite its problems, and glad people are going to see it.  I really miss having bloody sci-fi movies, instead of 12 thousand Transformer movies.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, Captain Oram sticking his head in the egg was stupid as fuck, but I guess I explained it away by the fact that he was trying REALLY hard to be a good captain, and he sucked and no one liked him.  

Walter didn't know who Shaw was, and had no reason not to believe David's story about how she died, until David revealed his true intentions.  

I can't explain the storm stuff, if they really woke up 7 years early from their original mission you'd think you could wait even a month for the storm to clear.  My guess was it was a lazy plot device to show how "badass ya'll" Tennessee was.  But during the rescue mission the crew on the planet didn't really have time for the rescue ship to come, so it needed to cut through the storm. 

I think there are some deleted scenes on youtube/rumored, but Walter had basically already scanned the planet and has determined the conditions were almost identical to Earth.  And I think there is a deleted scene of him stepping out of the landing craft first.  There's no reason for the crew to just expect some Alien spore is gonna infect them and come ripping out of their body, hah.

The computer (Muthur) is from the Weyland-Yutani corporation, as are the two androids and as long as David knows the access codes (which he either already knows or downloaded from Walter during their battle) the ship really doesn't care unless the crew were to ask who the android on board was.  As far as I understand it isn't a sentient being like David/Walter are. 

tldr: I'm a huge nerd of the entire Alien universe and have thought about this shit way too much.  I'm glad you liked it though despite its problems, and glad people are going to see it.  I really miss having bloody sci-fi movies, instead of 12 thousand Transformer movies.  

Spoiler

I mean, I had a blast watching it. I even knew what the ended was going to be (seemed almost too obvious), but it was well done. Dark ending though. Also MF is amazing and I really liked his flute playing scenes where he kisses Walter. So great.  

Well in Prometheus, they wore suits and made a big deal about it, why not this unknown planet? It could explain why it isn't inhabited by .. anything? Just seemed like a no-brainer to be cautious.  

Why didn't Billy C kill him or dismantle him immediately after finding out he was doing these things? Maybe my memory is wonky, but I thought he realized what he had done after showing him what he had been up to in his experiments. He called him the devil right? I guessed it went with the faith is blind motif running throughout these two movies. Him being a shitty leader is just tantamount to how dumb he was acting.

So why would David know this shit's specific access codes? He is just an android made by the same company, which clearly had problems, and augmented Walter's models to be slightly more trustful. The ship could scan him if need be and probably can trace who it actually is. The survivors should of been more careful with that shit. Or take out any android surviving as a precaution and then just wait the six or seven years making sure everything is good until you get to the new planet. Or why even feel safe getting into them since they are apparently made out of wood and napalm?  

I did have a big conversation about this the day after watching it with friends. They saw it as nitpicky, but I'm convinced they got brain damage from the sleep. lol

So what do you think about Aliens? They thought it wasn't good. I think it's really great.

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Spoiler

The flute scene was amazing, David basically trying to break Walter's programming and convert him to his side, the kiss showing his complete infatuation with himself.  Fassbender was great and a lot of Alien fans are pissed Ridley Scott is making him the centerpiece of the franchise, but I think it makes it more grounded in possible reality and a hell of a lot scarier IMO. 

Oram definitely said something about how he had seen the Devil in regards to David or something, but yeah, I think he was just a total failure in general combined with shellshock.  Still, I ain't putting my face over a slimy egg that opens, especially after I just saw my crew member's decapitated head floating in a fountain lol. 

As for the codes like I said I think he either downloaded them from Walter's body, or since he is the original Android made by Weyland he somehow already had the codes in his system.  I think we might find out more in the next movie, I also think Walter could still be alive.  

YOUR FRIENDS DIDN'T LIKE ALIENS?!?! Man, if Alien set the standard for Sci-fi/horror, Aliens set the genre standard for Action-Scifi.  Aliens could be in my top 5 favorite movies, everything is perfect about it (well, I hate Newt.  So lame.  Although there was a deleted scene explaining that Ripley lost a daughter and so that's why she is so attached to Newt, which makes more sense).  Great action, pacing, characters, sets. Some of the greatest practical special effects ever.  It even has cheesy one-liners that work completely within the context of the soldiers; RIP Paxton.  Also don't forget Ripley's battle with the fuckin' Queen.  What didn't your friends like about it? 

To me Covenant was a perfect blend of Prometheus (which I love), and Aliens (which I love).

21 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:
  Hide contents

The flute scene was amazing, David basically trying to break Walter's programming and convert him to his side, the kiss showing his complete infatuation with himself.  Fassbender was great and a lot of Alien fans are pissed Ridley Scott is making him the centerpiece of the franchise, but I think it makes it more grounded in possible reality and a hell of a lot scarier IMO. 

Oram definitely said something about how he had seen the Devil in regards to David or something, but yeah, I think he was just a total failure in general combined with shellshock.  Still, I ain't putting my face over a slimy egg that opens, especially after I just saw my crew member's decapitated head floating in a fountain lol. 

As for the codes like I said I think he either downloaded them from Walter's body, or since he is the original Android made by Weyland he somehow already had the codes in his system.  I think we might find out more in the next movie, I also think Walter could still be alive.  

YOUR FRIENDS DIDN'T LIKE ALIENS?!?! Man, if Alien set the standard for Sci-fi/horror, Aliens set the genre standard for Action-Scifi.  Aliens could be in my top 5 favorite movies, everything is perfect about it (well, I hate Newt.  So lame.  Although there was a deleted scene explaining that Ripley lost a daughter and so that's why she is so attached to Newt, which makes more sense).  Great action, pacing, characters, sets. Some of the greatest practical special effects ever.  It even has cheesy one-liners that work completely within the context of the soldiers; RIP Paxton.  Also don't forget Ripley's battle with the fuckin' Queen.  What didn't your friends like about it? 

To me Covenant was a perfect blend of Prometheus (which I love), and Aliens (which I love).

Spoiler

Yup. I agree. I love the sci-fi and the horror in these movies. Covenant scratched both.

Lol, this argument has been going on for years. Look. I loved Aliens. I have only seen (in the past 20 years that is) the Director's Cut (which I believe is better) and I found it to be one of if not the best action movies of 80s that its probably under-rated in terms of influence. They... simply don't see it that way. Biggest complaint is that Ripley is too much of "a woman" with feelings, and that the Xenomorphs were dumber. I don't understand how that is because the last one was outsmarted by a woman and a cat. Also I've explained the hive-mind thing going on with them, and they pretty much act like ants in that movie. Never mind Sigourney Weaver got a goddamn Oscar nomination with her role. Easily the best sequel since Empire. Also her going back for Newt shows why we're fundamentally different than the Zenomorphs and have humanity, etc. Like yeah, Newt sucks, but it's a perfect allegory for human compassion and makes total sense since she lost her child essentially. Ripley still one of my favorite heroes in cinema. Cameron is by no means my favorite director, but he did a very commendable job.

I hope David is continued if they do more movies. I feel like they won't, but who knows. Walter is probably not as adventurous as David, and with nobody to repair him, I think he's gone.

Also do heads float? I was thinking about that during the film. lol

7 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Spoiler

Ridley Scott already confirmed the next movie is called Alien: Awakening!!!  So my boy David is gonna be back.  Eventually it will connect with the original Alien.

Dude I don't think so, lol...I remember thinking in the theater "how many times can you show the same shot of the head rotating?"