What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

2 hours ago, Kay said:

To The Bone - 8/10

I was worried about watching a film about anorexia because I'm a fat fatty and the whole concept is alien to me but the trailer was good, and it was written and directed by Marti Noxon who worked on Buffy so I was intrigued (as I have yet to meet someone who is more weirdly obsessive with that show than me). It was fucking good, it was funny, it was emotional and it didn't glamorise anorexia whatsoever. it had some wonderful shots and interesting audio choices that I appreciated, the only reason it isn't higher than an 8 is because it felt very '28 days / Girl, Interrupted' in the setting and style and there's other films like that... it goes with the territory of any addiction really and it's not like I dislike that as a concept, but the unoriginality of that setting kind of undermined the power of the message for me. 

My wife watched that the other day ... I sat on the couch next to her and pretended I wasn't watching it too. It was pretty okay.

• Like 1

Dunkirk. Fantastic film! Loud and visually stunning with none of the excessive length (Batman) or philosophical bullshit ("love transcends space and time" ugh) that plague Nolan's other films. Even the usual "homefront" stuff that often seeps into war films with shoehorned romances and useless female characters was completely absent in the film. Nothing is revealed about the characters' past, because why would any of it matter? It was also kinda interesting and effective that you never actually see any Germans, only their fighters and bullets.

Also kinda depressing to watch it now on the eve of Brexit. So many were sacrified on the understanding that British liberty ultimately hinges on the preservation of liberty on the continent. And now they have stupid old folks shitting on the graves of British soldiers.

• Like 2

Suburbia 1996: one of those true 90s films, top notch dialogues and great performances throughout. Even if the film looks like it doesn't really go anywhere, it was so cool to watch. Giovanni Ribisi was great, his character (Jeff) and Steve Zahn's character (Buff) were also so look-alike to Billie Joe and Tre Cool back in the day haha

Then a Carpenter's cult I never got the chance to see before, Big Trouble In Little China. I told my dad and he said: "You've never seen Big Trouble in Little China?!!!? How can I trust you now Elisa? How?"   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2017 at 3:47 AM, Nasa said:

Okja. Movie about a girl from South Korea who grows up with a giant GMO-produced pig that her grandfather was hired to raise by a GMO company. 10 years later they come back for it because it was the most successful GMO pig and she goes on a mission to get it back. Sounds weird I know, but it was a good movie. 8/10.

Just watched it! Good movie! The story is rather straightforward,  good vs bad is very black and white. 

Just a nitpick, but in several parts the soundtrack didn't really work. 

7.5/10

Spoiler

The final scene where Mija en Okja walk away from the slaughterhouse while the other animals are following them from behind  the gate, really got to me. Very moving. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Just watched it! Good movie! The story is rather straightforward,  good vs bad is very black and white. 

Just a nitpick, but in several parts the soundtrack didn't really work. 

7.5/10

Reveal hidden contents

The final scene where Mija en Okja walk away from the slaughterhouse while the other animals are following them from behind  the gate, really got to me. Very moving. 

Agreed! The thing I liked the most about it was that it was pretty quirky, which made the good vs bad theme not too tiring. 

My favorite part of the movie was the chase between the animal rescuers and the GMO company. Pretty funny! LOL at the girl who tried to take the selfie with Okja as she was destroying the store. Also the apathetic truck driver guy. ?

21 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Agreed! The thing I liked the most about it was that it was pretty quirky, which made the good vs bad theme not too tiring. 

My favorite part of the movie was the chase between the animal rescuers and the GMO company. Pretty funny! LOL at the girl who tried to take the selfie with Okja as she was destroying the store. Also the apathetic truck driver guy. ?

Ah yeah, haha the truck driver and the selfie girl! I lolled  ;D

On 8/1/2017 at 3:54 PM, Elisa said:

Then a Carpenter's cult I never got the chance to see before, Big Trouble In Little China. I told my dad and he said: "You've never seen Big Trouble in Little China?!!!? How can I trust you now Elisa? How?"   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gotta love vintage Kurt Russell.  Big Trouble felt a bit too dated for me but The Thing, Escape from New York are absolute classics.

• Like 1

Matrix trilogy, up on Netflix. Skipped a lot of 2 but

Matrix: 9.7/10. Would be a 10, perfect movie, but hate that fly out to rock music ending with a passion..

Matrix Reloaded: 6/10. They took that fly out to rock music ending and made an entire film out of it.  It's still entertaining, but feels like a cheese superhero movie instead of a raw interesting one.

Matrix Revolutions: 6.5/10. Actually like this one better than Reloaded. It tries to go back to that raw grunge style, but then has the horrid mech machine battles no one cares about half the time.

The Dark Tower (2017)

(C)

Felt like a movie for 12 year olds. In that context, I can see it having it's appeal and understand some of the direction they went in. Not so sure if that was the intended audience, but it felt like the movie had been gutted of what made TDT series so interesting.

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

I heard it was kinda lame. Which is disappointing. I love the books.

i hope IT doesn't suffer the same fate.

IT remake looks decent honestly, and I hate remakes.  I'll be shocked if its very good, but the trailers have looked somewhat promising.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FightingTheGravity said:

IT remake looks decent honestly, and I hate remakes.  I'll be shocked if its very good, but the trailers have looked somewhat promising.

The book is one of my favorites so I'm REALLY looking forward to this movie. I want it to be good. I care about the book a lot!

I haven't seen the original in full, just clips.

Pennywise doesn't look scary in this remake though.