What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

Aliens - great action movie albeit a bit overrated. A lot of the vehicle scenes that were mind blowing at the time have not aged well (especially compared to the first movie, where the technology still holds up) and look pretty dinky. The action sequences are still awesome though. Could have used more scenes with the actual aliens (you only see them for a grand total of a minute or two). Having just watched Terminator 2, it has held up a lot better than Aliens. Still a great movie that was enjoyable, 8/10. 

On to watch Aliens 3...

13 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Aliens - great action movie albeit a bit overrated. A lot of the vehicle scenes that were mind blowing at the time have not aged well (especially compared to the first movie, where the technology still holds up) and look pretty dinky. The action sequences are still awesome though. Could have used more scenes with the actual aliens (you only see them for a grand total of a minute or two). Having just watched Terminator 2, it has held up a lot better than Aliens. Still a great movie that was enjoyable, 8/10. 

On to watch Aliens 3...

Alien > Aliens any day of the week for this guy right here. Though Biehn and Paxton are great.

Ghostland - Quite a creepy horror with a slightly different way  of structuring the story. In terms of horror, it's in the same vein as Texas Chainsaw. Too many jumpscares that weren't necessary at all.

6.5/10

First Reformed - Interesting drama with Ethan Hawke. The writer of this movie also wrote Taxi Driver, and there are definitely parallels between Travis Bickle and the main protagonist. Starts a bit slow, but picks up the pace around half way.

7/10

You Were Never Really Here.

Wasn't blown away the first time through due to high praise and unrealistic expectations but the more I watch it the better it gets. Super dark movie though. Joaquin kills it, best performance in years from an outstanding actor, and the directing by Ramsay is effectively sparse. I keep finding myself thinking about it long after the fact.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:03 PM, theedge00 said:

Hereditary - Pretty good. Some shocking scenes. Ending was weak , and the pace could have been faster.

7/10

I fucking loved this movie. It was a bit slow, but I'd put it in the category of slow-burn horrors. I loved everything about it though, it was beautifully shot, the use of lighting was great, the actress that played the mother gave me goose bumps on multiple occasions, etc. 

That sequence of rushing to drive Charlie to the hospital, hitting the post, seeing her decapitated head, and the mom's breakdown of "I want to die, I want to die!!" was one of the most chilling scenes I've seen in a movie lately.

8.5/10 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kvothe said:

I fucking loved this movie. It was a bit slow, but I'd put it in the category of slow-burn horrors. I loved everything about it though, it was beautifully shot, the use of lighting was great, the actress that played the mother gave me goose bumps on multiple occasions, etc. 

Hide contents

That sequence of rushing to drive Charlie to the hospital, hitting the post, seeing her decapitated head, and the mom's breakdown of "I want to die, I want to die!!" was one of the most chilling scenes I've seen in a movie lately.

8.5/10 

Yeah that scene you put in spoilers was really good! What did you think about the ending tho

14 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Yeah that scene you put in spoilers was really good! What did you think about the ending tho

It was solid - nothing mind blowingly good, but it wrapped up the story well. I liked that Paimon needed a weakened and male host, so Peter's character was slowly broken down to be a suitable host. I liked that the whole thing was inevitable and the family was like a sacrificial lamb for Paimon and the cult. I thought it was interesting that bodies needed to be decapitated to free Paimon from their bodies. There was a lot of symbolism with agency and how it related to the miniature models that Annie played with. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the ending, but it was not as unnerving as it could have been IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't watch many films in the summer but that post from a couple of weeks ago reminded me that I completely forgot to watch You Were Never Really Here so I saw it last week. It was a wonderful character study of a man with PTSD at the end of his road. Joaquin Phoenix is incredible, he's been one of my favourite  actors since "Walk The Line". So many emotions. Such a great film. (A)

The King of New York (1990) = this was nuts but also less problematic than most Abel Ferrara it was easy to watch. Very likable characters too. It has a really great build-up but kind of fizzles out in the end. (B-)

Isle of Dogs = much better than I thought it would be, a passionate work dedicated to aspects of Japanese culture. Not the Wes Anderson I love but it was nice. All the claims of "cultural appropriation" that I've heard were complete nonsense. (B)

God's Own Country, which is essentially Yorkshire's answer to Brokeback Mountain. It has very little dialogue but the storytelling is so moving. I loved it. (A)