What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

Watched three films yesterday in my hungover state:

Oceans Eight - was watchable enough but pretty meh - 6/10
Wreck it Ralph - absolutely loved it, all the references to the old school games was cool as shit too - 8.5/10
Game Night - Started really well and the idea is a good one but falls off a cliff a bit towards the end - 6.5/10

Next up for me is Summer of 84. 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:08 PM, Vera Mathews Band said:

Clerks - 9/10

I always heard about this movie and finally caught it on the Flix. What a good movie. Bit better than Jay & Silent Bob which I saw years ago.

Which lead me to check out Kevin Smith's newest film

Tusk - wtf/10

I read a little about it so I knew it was going to be fucked but man I hate experiment torture films.  Just too gross to me, but I liked the actors.

I love Tusk. Your WTF/10 is perfect for a grade. My favorite Kevin Smith film. Great performances and definitely unsettling. Love how it's absolutely over-the-top-Kevin-Smith-has-lost-his-mind but in the final scene you kinda feel bad and it has a melancholy Gerard Way song playing. Definitely stuck with me. I saw it in theaters.

Odd story: a bunch of young kids bought tickets in front of us for Tusk (which was rated R) but we were the only 2 in the theater. It's not like underage kids buying PG-13 tickets and sneaking into an R movie, it was reverse. Never figured out where they went or what movie they all saw. So weird. But hey, it was the only time I've ever gotten to smoke weed in a movie theater. Fun date night.

I keep trying to give Lego Batman a second chance and I cannot get over Bruce being into Babs Gordon. Or how Voldemort is in it and has more lines than Catwoman or Twoface. Or how it has the single worse Joker performance in history.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:32 AM, ...Dan... said:

Watched three films yesterday in my hungover state:

Oceans Eight - was watchable enough but pretty meh - 6/10
Wreck it Ralph - absolutely loved it, all the references to the old school games was cool as shit too - 8.5/10
Game Night - Started really well and the idea is a good one but falls off a cliff a bit towards the end - 6.5/10

Next up for me is Summer of 84. 

Seen it pal. It’s ok. Worth a watch. I’d love to have grown up in the 80s. The girl in it is a total fucking babe too. 7/10

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Seen it pal. It’s ok. Worth a watch. I’d love to have grown up in the 80s. The girl in it is a total fucking babe too. 7/10

Yeah the reviews are mixed and form the trailer it looks to me like it's trying to piggyback the Stranger Things hype but I love that era so will def give it a watch.

9 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

SubUrbia (1996) : 9/10

Such an underrated movie, I really really liked this movie (it was directed by the director of Dazed and Confused). Totally recommend watching it !

I always thought Giovanni Ribisi and the other two main characters were SO (but really, SO) look-alike to Green Day, back in the day in that movie

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I always thought Giovanni Ribisi and the other two main characters were SO (but really, SO) look-alike to Green Day, back in the day on that movie

I had the exact same thought, Giovanni looks like Billie Joe from the Insomniac era and Steve Zahn looks like Tré Cool from the Dookie era !

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, Thibaut182 said:

I had the exact same thought, Giovanni looks like Billie Joe from the Insomniac era and Steve Zahn looks like Tré Cool from the Dookie era !

And they also act like them too. Giovanni's character is so serious and critical and wants to find a meaning in society and it's a very Billie Joe thing to do, Steve Zahn's does crazy shit all he time just like Tré Cool, but I don't think it was intentional haha

I should watch it again one of these nights, it was a nice movie. And I remember Sonic Youth was on the soundtrack.

• Love 1

Idiocracy - 7/10. I've heard about this movie a lot over the last few years, it seems to come up in conversations every now and then. Finally checked it out; one of Mike Judge's weaker efforts IMO (in comparison to Office Space, King of the Hill, Silicon Valley, etc.). It was an enjoyable movie, but the jokes weren't that elaborate and the writing was obviously not very sophisticated given the subject matter. The stupidity schtick started getting tiresome near the end of the movie. 

On 9/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, MSandt said:

The Predator. Better than the negative reviews implied. Still the last 30 minutes are a bit of a mess. Really enjoyed the first hour. Lots of good jokes too.

I've seen a lot of bad feedback from others that have seen it - it's getting panned by pretty much everyone.

It now has the worst opening weekend of a movie in 4,000+ theaters pushing "The Mummy" from that slot. The Mummy had a $31.6M opening weekend in 4,035 theaters last year

The Predator debuted in 4,037 theaters = $24M opening weekend estimate
Predators debuted in 2010 in 2,669 theaters = $24.76M opening weekend

On 9/16/2018 at 11:22 PM, Kvothe said:

I've seen a lot of bad feedback from others that have seen it - it's getting panned by pretty much everyone.

It now has the worst opening weekend of a movie in 4,000+ theaters pushing "The Mummy" from that slot. The Mummy had a $31.6M opening weekend in 4,035 theaters last year

The Predator debuted in 4,037 theaters = $24M opening weekend estimate
Predators debuted in 2010 in 2,669 theaters = $24.76M opening weekend

It's mostly been criticized for its "third act". The funny thing is the third act was apparently refilmed entirely based on negative feedback from test screenings. I wonder if they ended up making it worse or better.