What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

21 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Jim and Andy.

Expected more discussion on Jim Carrey's craft but it's mainly behind the scenes of old footage from Man on the Moon. As a retrospective documentary, it failed miserably. As a thoughtful, introspective, philosophical piece of art, well, it has its moments.

I think it got too into itself at times and relied on JC's unreliable narration to hold it together. He's trying to Kaufman himself with it and really doesn't add much. But I do love his version of Tony Clifton.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think it got too into itself at times and relied on JC's unreliable narration to hold it together. He's trying to Kaufman himself with it and really doesn't add much. But I do love his version of Tony Clifton.

See, I really enjoyed all his philosophical nonsense. The what's real? argument etc. I'd rather see that over non-stop Tony Clifton impressions (however hilarious). But you're correct, this was padded. It felt like it should've been a look back at his career but kept getting stuck on Man on the Moon. They couldn't figure out what they wanted to do with the project, or what it wanted to be. Half hour too long.

I liked both Arrival and Bladerunner 2049.

7 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

See, I really enjoyed all his philosophical nonsense. The what's real? argument etc. I'd rather see that over non-stop Tony Clifton impressions (however hilarious). But you're correct, this was padded. It felt like it should've been a look back at his career but kept getting stuck on Man on the Moon. They couldn't figure out what they wanted to do with the project, or what it wanted to be. Half hour too long.

I liked both Arrival and Bladerunner 2049.

I think Blade Runner 2049 is amazing.

Yeah. The real interesting aspect to me is "what the fuck happened to Jim Carrey?" part of it. He seems so fucking depressed but also in love with life's bigger mysteries and his own philosophy that I wonder if he's just facilitating himself with it just to counter his own darkness. He himself to me is more interesting than Jim Carrey trying to be Andy Kaufman (which was interesting for 20-30 mins like you said) and how that went. I think the disillusionment of Hollywood "fixing" him is the real thing that happened on that movie and he escaped into his hero to figure it out. Andy Kaufman being "inside" of him is funny in some ways, but gets old quick, and just an exercise of making comedy out of method acting while still continuing on in the Kaufman tradition of keeping the audience guessing. But Man on the Moon in particular is a movie I find myself returning to a lot in the Jim Carrey oeuvre. Just in terms of jo, exploring a comic and their own persona, blurring the lines of reality, and the relationships that can falter from that. Not many films analyze (and this film only does it through broad strokes) why somebody like Andy Kaufman's comedy was not only therapeutic (to him) but also why it inspired so many and created post-modern comedy in some regard. JC's acting is also really strong in it, it's well made, the casting is great, just an amazing comedic biopic overall in my eyes. The healing power of comedy is that film's biggest theme to me, something that Jim Carrey is still obviously struggling with. Also it sort of flopped, was dismissed somewhat, and ended the 90s in a gut punch. In a lot of ways it signaled the end of that era.

I'm not to keen on JC's life events, but he seemed to have his heart broken in his personal and professional world. He also seemed really annoyed by his own comedic idealized version of himself, which he naively fed into for most of the 90s. Which is why I like The Cable Guy and The Truman Show, as they not only somewhat deconstruct Jim Carrey as a comedic actor, they explore his likability and subvert it in interesting ways. They also personally appealed to him because he was so quietly suffering from being given all his professional wishes.

Anyway, I gotten carried away here. Also I recommend Too Funny To Fail, which is the story about The Dana Carvey show and it's massive failure. Very entertaining.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kay said:

Arrival - 7/10

It's well made, beautifully shot, interesting and different - but the actual 'twist' ruins the integrity of the story itself if you think about it too much. I don't want to ruin it for anyone else so - 

Reveal hidden contents

If the aliens experience time in a non linear manner, and things happen as laid out in the film then everything is pre-determined. so it isn't some beautiful personal choice that she decided to have her sick child anyway and lose her future husband - that was going to happen regardless of her knowledge of it. For time to work in the non-linear way they propose, that means all free will and choice is non-existant. All of those things would have happened regardless, which makes the whole 'we've come to ask for your help but not directly' even more ridiculous. They took an interesting take and tried to shove it up it's own ass so far that they're whole premise kind of crumbles. 

I'll probably get back to you with this movie, not yet seen! I ordered it from Amazon last week along with John Wick 2 and the Sons of Anarchy series. Looks like it's my type of film.

Last movie I saw was Blade Runner 2049, wasn't a big fan of the first one, but I appreciated it. For an 80's movie that has some fucking great visuals too. But Blade Runner 2, had my attention for the whole thing. Was amazed by it. Definitely more of an acquired taste type of film IMO. I know a lot of people did complain about the length but I had no problem with it.

Watched Area 51 on Netflix pretty recently, which I thought was crap. I love the whole idea of the Cloverfield filming style, but no film pulls that off nearly as well as Cloverfield.

I'm sure I've watched like 2-3 other films fairly recently too but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

31 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think Blade Runner 2049 is amazing.

Yeah. The real interesting aspect to me is "what the fuck happened to Jim Carrey?" part of it. He seems so fucking depressed but also in love with life's bigger mysteries and his own philosophy that I wonder if he's just facilitating himself with it just to counter his own darkness. He himself to me is more interesting than Jim Carrey trying to be Andy Kaufman (which was interesting for 20-30 mins like you said) and how that went. I think the disillusionment of Hollywood "fixing" him is the real thing that happened on that movie and he escaped into his hero to figure it out. Andy Kaufman being "inside" of him is funny in some ways, but gets old quick, and just an exercise of making comedy out of method acting while still continuing on in the Kaufman tradition of keeping the audience guessing. But Man on the Moon in particular is a movie I find myself returning to a lot in the Jim Carrey oeuvre. Just in terms of jo, exploring a comic and their own persona, blurring the lines of reality, and the relationships that can falter from that. Not many films analyze (and this film only does it through broad strokes) why somebody like Andy Kaufman's comedy was not only therapeutic (to him) but also why it inspired so many and created post-modern comedy in some regard. JC's acting is also really strong in it, it's well made, the casting is great, just an amazing comedic biopic overall in my eyes. The healing power of comedy is that film's biggest theme to me, something that Jim Carrey is still obviously struggling with. Also it sort of flopped, was dismissed somewhat, and ended the 90s in a gut punch. In a lot of ways it signaled the end of that era.

I'm not to keen on JC's life events, but he seemed to have his heart broken in his personal and professional world. He also seemed really annoyed by his own comedic idealized version of himself, which he naively fed into for most of the 90s. Which is why I like The Cable Guy and The Truman Show, as they not only somewhat deconstruct Jim Carrey as a comedic actor, they explore his likability and subvert it in interesting ways. They also personally appealed to him because he was so quietly suffering from being given all his professional wishes.

Anyway, I gotten carried away here. Also I recommend Too Funny To Fail, which is the story about The Dana Carvey show and it's massive failure. Very entertaining.

Very interesting insights. I honestly couldn't have worded it better.

I love the Truman Show. It might not be Carrey's best work, but it's my favorite (though due to reruns I have seen Dumb and Dumber the most). I think TS is a film that works on so many different levels. Not only did it predict reality tv dominance (by a hair, I know) and the emergence of the  so-called selfie generation (seriously, what one of the insta-famous people wouldn't wanna live like Truman with camera feeds everywhere???), but it also could be taken as a metaphor for depression, or at least that's how I took it (feeling trapped in a world laid out for you). And yet on another level it was clearly Jim Carrey struggling with this false creation he presented himself as to the masses.  And then it can even be taken as god vs man if you really wanted to. It's a fascinating film. And a damn good watch. Very underrated.

Yeah, I was probably 11-12 watching that movie having my mind blown with the religious allegories with celebrity that were happening. It was the precursor to our own narratives online in a lot of ways, but we are often are our own "creator" and "director". But in the end, what I post on instagram sells laundry detergent and soda, just like Truman's world does. Also I have a soft spot for Liar, Liar and Carrey totally sells that "this is fine" movie and makes it work. In fact I would say in the 90s, JC was my favorite actor. From In Living Color, Dumb and Dumber, to even Batman Forever. I loved a lot of his performances. Eternal Sunshine is my favorite though.

There's a good documentary to be made out of JC's career. I hope it gets made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Jim and Andy.

Expected more discussion on Jim Carrey's craft but it's mainly behind the scenes of old footage from Man on the Moon. As a retrospective documentary, it failed miserably. As a thoughtful, introspective, philosophical piece of art, well, it has its moments.

I am enjoying the hell out of it. I love Jim Carrey and I love Andy Kaufman too!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 10:27 PM, Clarkerpes said:

Baby Driver - 9/10

Best movie I've seen in 2017. Loved everything about the movie 

On 10/7/2017 at 7:59 PM, Speedo said:

Watched Baby Driver last night ... It's wasn't pretty okay, not great and a little stupid in the third act but all-in-all not horrible.

Baby Driver is awesome, you don't know SHIT Speedo. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 7:16 PM, Speedo said:

I am enjoying the hell out of it. I love Jim Carrey and I love Andy Kaufman too!

It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. Just a bit unfocused and there's really no narrative. I'd say I'd hesitantly recommended it depending on how well I know the person and their tastes. If they like abstract filmmaking, Carrey or Kaufman, they'll probably like it.

I watched that Kaffman and Jim thing. It kinda made Jim look like an asshole.   Does anyone else know some of the stuff that his deceased girlfriends family has accused him of? Should look it up if you don't.

With that and the recent interviews he's given he's a bit off the deep end at this point.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it. But Jim's ex committed suicide. It wasn't murder. It was her decesion. He may or may not have given her the std that pushed her over the edge but I think the family is trying to get $$$ outta it. Really, it's like the 1 time I'm siding with the celebrity.  He's an asshole, if it's all true, but that's not illegal. I fucking hate victim blaming and victim shaming, but after looking into it all I see is a family trying to profit off their daughter/sisters depression all because she hooked up with Jim Carrey. I bet it gets settled outta court.

As for enjoying Carrey's films, with so many people working on movies, you gotta figure at least 1 of them is a criminal or pedophile or sexual harraser or something, same with any business. Doesn't stop me from enjoying Dumb and Dumber or Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine. Yeah it's got bad context now, but shit, even Hitchcock was a creep and a stalker who tormented his leading ladies but that won't take away the effect Psycho had on cinema, right or wrong.

Anyways, just watched Lego Batman. I think that Zach Galifinikas or whatever is officially the worst Joker in history. Even worse than Leto. His voice acting was awful. He did nothing with the material. Didn't dig Batman's crush on Barbara Gordon. Fucking weird. Why do writers keep trying to hook those 2 up (see the Killing Joke adaptation)? Plus Lord Voldemoort got more lines than half of Batman rogue gallery. I really, really, really wanted to love it but just couldn't...

Fyi, I think the first Lego movie is a masterpiece and can't wait to show my future kids now that my little one is a preteen and would rather watch Deadpool. So I had high expectations.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Anyone seen The Disaster Artist?

Huge fan of The Room, excited to catch it this weekend.

I want to see it, but I've heard mixed reviews. Specifically about Franco's directing. 

I saw Baby Driver on friday. Pretty good film I'd give it a 8.5/10 

It's really interesting from a musical perspective but I still somehow found it kind of predictable, apart from that though it was solid and very entertaining. It's creepy watching Kevin Spacey say "That's my Baby" to a super young dude though now considering... 

Went and saw it tonight (Disaster Artist).

I liked it. Made me want to read the book or listen to the audiobook by the actor involved more than anything though to catch the backstory. The backstory is ridiculous and hilarious and makes The Room even better.

I think that will be way better than a cinematic movie about a bad movie tbh. I'm excited to read or listen to that now.

Mini Franco was pretty bad if I'm gonna be a critic.. Just played himself instead of the actor guy.  

Fun movie though, definitely see The Room first and read about it.. Like how there's a mystery behind how he got $10 million, no one knows.

6 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Went and saw it tonight (Disaster Artist).

I liked it. Made me want to read the book or listen to the audiobook by the actor involved more than anything though to catch the backstory. The backstory is ridiculous and hilarious and makes The Room even better.

I think that will be way better than a cinematic movie about a bad movie tbh. I'm excited to read or listen to that now.

Mini Franco was pretty bad if I'm gonna be a critic.. Just played himself instead of the actor guy.  

Fun movie though, definitely see The Room first and read about it.. Like how there's a mystery behind how he got $10 million, no one knows.

I thought it was 6 million?

I want to see The Disaster Artist, but I'm not sure. I've read some reviews that point out how bad Franco is at directing - like his portrayal of Tommy Wiseau is great, but the actual directing is a bit pants. On top of that there's some key reasons that The Room is as hysterical as it is that don't seem to be addressed in The Disaster Artist at all, like the obvious 'dubbing' they seem to 'act' the scenes in the Disaster Artist as is, depsite the fact a lot of it is clearly and badly dubbed. weird thing to not address. 

I want to see it though, The Room is hysterical and Tommy Wiseau is mildly terrifying. 

Plus, you know, You're tearing me apart Lisa!