Had the guitar, and now I want to learn how to play it.. Any and all advice!

Melty Mark

The part that hurts for me is pressing down the metal strings so hard, and you don't have to press nylon as hard.  It'll hurt, but it won't be the end of the world.

DO NOT put nylon strings on a steel string guitar. the nylon strings put about 60-80lbs of tension on the neck, where as steel stings go to 120-140lbs.

your neck will start to bow and eventually be unplayable.

bite the bullet and play the steel strings. it hurts but once it doesn't hurt anymore, playing electric or nylon string is a sinch.

also... work on chord changes; focus on chords with no common anchors (fingers that stay in the same fret or string regarless of chord changes)

when i went to school for classical guitar a lot of finger picking exercises were just on C and G7

Yep, what he said. Only put nylon strings on a classical guitar, they're not built to be switched around and you will damage your guitar.

Steel strings WILL hurt, but you just have to stick with it. It stops hurting after a while as everyone's said, and it's worth the pain to get the little calluses on your fingers. You'll barely feel it afterwards.

The part that hurts for me is pressing down the metal strings so hard, and you don't have to press nylon as hard.  It'll hurt, but it won't be the end of the world.

DO NOT put nylon strings on a steel string guitar. the nylon strings put about 60-80lbs of tension on the neck, where as steel stings go to 120-140lbs.

your neck will start to bow and eventually be unplayable.

bite the bullet and play the steel strings. it hurts but once it doesn't hurt anymore, playing electric or nylon string is a sinch.

I own a classical guitar that is equipped for it, it's actually just fine to do.

But thanks guys, I'll think about it.  I just don't want to quit again because it hurts.. That's dumb but it's exactly what happened

I own a classical guitar that is equipped for it, it's actually just fine to do.

But thanks guys, I'll think about it. I just don't want to quit again because it hurts.. That's dumb but it's exactly what happened

i've never heard of a guitar being equipped to handle both strings. unless you know a luthier that will reinforce your soundboard/neck.

Yeah that sounds really strange Beth, I've never heard of a guitar that can handle both so you might want to double check that just so you make sure you're not ruining your guitar by putting the wrong kind of strings on it.

If it's a classical guitar then it should only have nylon strings on it. A set of nylon strings consists of the 3 lower strings that are wound in bronze/copper and the 3 higher strings that are just nylon and feel like plastic. If all the strings are metal and what you have is in fact a classical guitar, you should really take them out asap and get nylon strings put on it. If the guitar has a model number we can look it up and find out.

Not trying to be difficult, just don't want you to hurt your guitar!