Stand Up Comedy

Samuel

Yeah Louis CK is probably the most popular comedian right now, and for good reason. He deserves everything that has come his way. His TV show is fucking great.

I think another comedian that is really great at the moment is Bill Burr. His new special is pretty funny.

I remember them saying something on the podcast about how he was commenting about his shirt in that episode. He was all "Hey guys look at me, I'm a fucking cowboy!" lol

lmao, i said that in my mind in his voice. have you heard his Monday Morning podcast? it's funny.

and tReerAT, good list. Greg Giraldo is overlooked i think... too bad the bastard had to die.

CHRIS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! Him and CK are very close friends actually.

Great watch, but I feel Gervais is out of place there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVBFwY4na7E#ws

this is an amazing video, definitely check it out.  So amped to see Louie this fall, be my second time seeing him live. It was a painful experience because it was the most hardest and longest  I've ever laughed.

I remember them saying something on the podcast about how he was commenting about his shirt in that episode. He was all "Hey guys look at me, I'm a fucking cowboy!" lol

lmao, i said that in my mind in his voice. have you heard his Monday Morning podcast? it's funny.

and tReerAT, good list. Greg Giraldo is overlooked i think... too bad the bastard had to die.

Thanks man, I really really love good stand up, always wanted to try it out, but I am pants shittingly afraid of being up on stage. And it really is a shame Greg died, he was probably the best part of any old CC Roast and his other stuff is mint as well

Honestly, if you want to try stand up... you just have to do it. Don't over think it the first time. I've been doing it for about two months now and love it. I'm not good at all, but I love making strangers laugh and trying to write funny material.

how do you deal with that, like the reality that maybe you aren't that funny?

You just keep at it. It took Louis CK almost twenty years before he caught on. For most of his career he was doing the same set. Watch his old YouTube clips.. you'll see. You're gonna suck shit when you first start, unless you're just a fucking natural like Seinfeld. I'm absolutely horrible, but it's something I enjoy doing and even if I can get a chuckle out of an audience I feel like I'm going somewhere. Don't be afraid of bombing... it's going to happen, it's inevitable. Just get in the mindset of learning from those mistakes and improving  on your material.

You just keep at it. It took Louis CK almost twenty years before he caught on. For most of his career he was doing the same set. Watch his old YouTube clips.. you'll see. You're gonna suck shit when you first start, unless you're just a fucking natural like Seinfeld. I'm absolutely horrible, but it's something I enjoy doing and even if I can get a chuckle out of an audience I feel like I'm going somewhere. Don't be afraid of bombing... it's going to happen, it's inevitable. Just get in the mindset of learning from those mistakes and improving  on your material.

so where you get started? do you write stuff down or just go up and as for a topic or what?

So many you guys forgot or just didn't mention.

David Cross

Patton Oswalt

Louie C.K.

Dave Chappelle

Maria Bamford

Brian Posehn

Michael Ian Black

Dave Attell

Mitch Hedberg

Norm MacDonald

Zach Galifinakis

Jim Gaffigan

Paul F. Tompkins

Patriece O'Neil

Aziz Ansari

Todd Barry

Eugene Mirman

Demetri Martin

Janeane Garafolo

Ray Ramano

Andy Kaufman

Garry Shandling

Lewis Black

Emo Phillips

Jim Breuer

Also, the lack of Bill Hicks, Richard Pryer, Rodney Dangerfield, Steven Wright, Denis Leary, Steve Martin, and George Carlin in this thread is disturbing.

so where you get started? do you write stuff down or just go up and as for a topic or what?

I usually write out my thoughts. I try to remember certain keywords or phrases on stage. I always have a plan for what I want to say before I go up, but it's never written out word for word.