Video Games Thread

dildo69er

To me giving this game a 6 or whatever that review gave it is just nonsense. Like, the game is extremely well made while complex, state of the art in terms of style and what open world games are, and magnificent in scale and world building. It's by no means perfect, but it certainly is above that 3DS DBZ game he gave an 8 to. I really can't take it seriously.

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah I'd be sad if we never see a 2D-style Zelda game again (whether or not they actually use 2D sprite-based graphics or 3D models like the DS/3DS games did, I don't really care. Though 2D graphics have a certain charm to them that will be missed). I'd also love more of the less-open world 3D games, because OOT and MM are still my favorite games of all time. I'd obviously love more of that. Breath of the Wild has introduced a third category to Zelda games, which is completely non-linear open world. I would love to see more of all three types of games in the future. I'm very curious to see what we get next. If we get another BotW-type Zelda game, I don't expect it to happen for a long time, but I could see another top-down game maybe being the next one. Who knows. It's kind of fun not knowing what to expect now that BotW has mixed things up so much.

By the way, Breath of the Wild is already a strong contender for one of my favorite games I've ever played. Considering the fact that if I made a Top 5, or probably even a Top 10 list of my favorite games, the majority of them would be N64 games, with a couple Gamecube games thrown in the mix, it's clear that it has been a very long time since I've played game that I love this much.

I think you could argue that there are now 4 or even 5 types of Zelda games with the introduction of the Open World game with Breath of the Wild.  Lets not forget the co-operative multiplayer titles like 4 Swords, 4 Swords Adventures, and Triforce Heroes.  And then there is the never returned to style of Zelda II The Adventure of Link (though there was a fantastic Adventure Time game for DS and 3DS made in the exact same style that I'd argue perfects on the style of Zelda II and shows that it can still work as gameplay style, game is called Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage if you're curious, I would recommend it, it is a very fun game).  There are also the CD-I games which are most similar to the Zelda II style, but no one counts the CD-I games, they weren't made by Nintendo.

I'm with ya, I think Breath of the Wild ranks among my top games of all time (if not is my top game to date).  But yeah, I'm also sure that Breath of the Wild isn't going to be the only open world entry in the series.  The game has already proven to be both a critical and commercial success, surely this isn't the last we've seen of this kind of Zelda title.  I mean the Switch has already proven to be Nintendo's most successful hardware launch in terms of sales, and that has almost everything to do with Breath of the Wild.  There is no way that this is a one and done kind of game.  Though I'm sure a title like this is a massive undertaking, its no wonder that it was supposed to come out in 2015, but development proved to be a far bigger task than they initially imagined for such a title.

At school I don't have a lot of time to play video games. I just went a whole week without playing Zelda, and so yesterday I finally picked it up again and played for like five hours straight. I'm still amazed at how much fun I can have playing this game when I'm not even trying to move the plot forward or progress the storyline. Most of the time I'm just exploring. Just looking for shrines. Just seeing what the different areas of the world have to offer. I've only gone to one Divine Beast so far, and since then I've just been adventuring. No game has ever made exploration so much fun for me.

Next time I play it (don't know when that will be because this week is going to be super busy. I'm going to Salt Lake City one day and to Los Angeles for four days, with trying to still fit school and homework in around that) I'll probably start making my way towards another Divine Beast. But I'm just loving how much fun it is to explore the amazingly vast world of Hyrule that this game has given us. Which I am especially grateful for after Skyword Sword completely robbed us of an overworld at all.

5 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Well they're all pretty different than Breath of the Wild but the majority of them are still amazing games.

They are different.  But the spirits of all the previous Zelda titles definitely runs through its veins.  Even for someone starting with Breath of the Wild who really enjoys it, I would recommend playing the other games, but I'd just make a point to note that they shouldn't expect anything to be quite the same as this.  The other games are typically more linear (except the original Zelda and A Link Between Worlds), yet they're all great in their own ways.  

Anyway, I've been taking my time with the game.  Doing side quests, upgrading as much of my items as possible, exploring at every chance I can get, getting the master sword, finishing shrines, finding Koroks, lost memories, etc. etc.  But amid all of that, I still have been progressing through the game.  And now I stand at a point where I've beaten the 4 main dungeons (by the way I loved these dungeons, they definitely rank among my favorite Zelda dungeons).  I'm gonna keep doing side stuff, but I suspect that by the end of this week I will have beaten the game's storyline.  Its a kind of sad thought to consider, yet I know there are still plenty of more hours I'm going to sink into the game even when I've beaten it.  Plus there are those 2 DLC packs coming the future, who knows what they'll include, but I'm so happy that this already packed and amazing game is going to receive more content.

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing BOTW again after a week or so off. What's everyone's completion % looking like? I'm currently sitting on 36.14%. 

104 Shrines and 194 Koroks

Might have to use a guide if im to get all 900 Koroks. Getting all of them is a whopping 72% of the game (0.08% per Korok). Mental. 

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Played for the first time in over two weeks today. Fuck school getting in the way of important things like Zelda.

I tried using Amiibos for the first time today and my first Amiboo gave me Epona! Pretty rad. Haha.

Saw someone using Amiibos on twitch the other day and they had treasure chests raining down from the sky. Would kinda ruin it for me being given free stuff when I guess the point of the game is scavenging for weapons and food to survive. 

Did anyone get ME Andromeda?

never gotten into a mass effect game before. Its very cliche story wise and kind of counter intuitive to me mechanics wise as I'm not really an RPG person but I'm liking it. 

4 hours ago, 2point5 said:

Saw someone using Amiibos on twitch the other day and they had treasure chests raining down from the sky. Would kinda ruin it for me being given free stuff when I guess the point of the game is scavenging for weapons and food to survive. 

I got a couple of those too but they just had fish and mushrooms in them so I didn't feel like I was cheating too much. Epona was worth it though!

The only Amiibos I own are Zelda ones. I had the Smash Bros Link, then recently I bought the NES pixel Link, and then I got two BotW Links when I picked up the game. I wanted to get all of the Zelda Amiibos until I realized how many there are now. That will cost a lot of money...