Video Games Thread

dildo69er

11 minutes ago, Capsov said:

Is the Switch gonna have virtual console? Because if so, that + SNES classic is gonna have people buying the same games for about the fifth time in a row. Highway robbery by Nintendo, and you know they are gonna go the artificial demand route again. 

Well no one is forcing you to buy the games over and over again lol.  All they're doing is giving more options to play their older games, that's not a bad thing.  No official word on Switch virtual console yet, but yes, its almost certainly going to be a thing.  Hoping they make the virtual console a Netflix-like service for the Switch, that would be awesome, I'd pay like $10 a month for a selection of like 100 classic titles that could hopefully grow with each month.  That would be the ideal way I'd like to see the Virtual Console handled on the Switch.  Then offer these classic devices for people that don't have a Switch and/or just want a collection of the 30 best SNES titles that they only have to pay for once and doesn't include a monthly subscription rate.  That seems like a smart way to handle both a Virtual Console service for the Switch while still releasing these classic systems.  I could potentially see an N64 classic a year or two later as well, but that would be it (at least for a few years).

50 minutes ago, Capsov said:

Is the Switch gonna have virtual console? Because if so, that + SNES classic is gonna have people buying the same games for about the fifth time in a row. Highway robbery by Nintendo, and you know they are gonna go the artificial demand route again. 

It does have a virtual console. I think the idea is that they'll launch a streaming game service with old Nintendo games. Rumor is that, so you'll likely just rent them.

I wonder if the SNES classic will have 30 games. I don't see Nintendo doing that as they're more expensive (unless they make it a higher price, which is not something they've expressed interest in). But who knows. I would nominate (and predict)....

I would exclude games like: NBA Jam, Killer Instinct,Turtles in Time, Shaq-Fu due to copyright claims and shittyness.

1. Super Mario World
  2. F-Zero
  3. Pilotwings
  4. Donkey Kong Country
  5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  6. Super Metroid
  7. Kirby's Dream Land 3
  8. Super Ghouls n' Ghost
  9. Super Punch Out!
  10. Final Fantasy 2
  11. Zombies Ate My Neighbors!
  12. Mega-Man X
  13. Super Castlevania IV
  14. Contra III: Alien Wars
  15. Final Fantasy 3
  16. Donkey Kong Country 2
  17. Chrono-Trigger
  18. Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo Edition
  19. Secret of Mana
  20. Earthworm Jim
  21. Super Mario RPG
  22. Star Fox
  23. R-Type 3
  24. Stunt Racer FX
  25. Earthbound
  26. Donkey Kong Country 3
  27. SimCity
  28. Super Mario Kart
  29. Super Bomberman
  30. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Which these aren't my favorite-favorite games, but I would assume they would include these to be the most pleasing to everybody. Star Fox 2 would be sweet too. Maybe Kirby's Avalanche?!?!? I already have that, but it's just he puzzle game it needs. That or Tetris.

39 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

It does have a virtual console. I think the idea is that they'll launch a streaming game service with old Nintendo games. Rumor is that, so you'll likely just rent them.

I wonder if the SNES classic will have 30 games. I don't see Nintendo doing that as they're more expensive (unless they make it a higher price, which is not something they've expressed interest in). But who knows. I would nominate (and predict)....

Which these aren't my favorite-favorite games, but I would assume they would include these to be the most pleasing to everybody. Star Fox 2 would be sweet too. Maybe Kirby's Avalanche?!?!? I already have that, but it's just he puzzle game it needs. That or Tetris.

Yeah, I was thinking they might consider releasing a couple of those Kirby spinoff title too, Kirby's Avalanche and Kirby's Dream Course could easily be contenders for the list as well.

4 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Speaking of multiplayer, what do you think of the new Mario Kart 8 battle system?

So happy.  I was hoping back when it was new on the Wii U that they'd one day update the game with a proper battle mode as DLC or whatever.  But that never happened, and it bummed me out, because the battle mode of 8 is the one blemish in an otherwise well rounded and fantastic title.  In all honesty, I don't think Mario Kart has gotten battle mode right since Mario Kart 64, but now it finally looks like they're giving us that great battle mode the series was always capable of plus other battle modes and options to really cement the fact that MK8 Deluxe will be the best Mario Kart title released so far in just about every way.  The only thing I could agree with that is still lacking, yet don't expect to see return at all, is some of the features of Double Dash.  Switching between 2 characters was cool, and I'd love to see again, but I'm not dying for that feature.  The ability to switch between your two items was nice, while MK8 Deluxe will make you use the first one you picked up first, and that's not a big deal, and I can take it either way.  And finally, and this is the one that I really wish would return, each racer having their own special item was very cool, I really wish they brought that feature back.

Beyond all of that, its hard to justify buying the game again.  Now I hacked my Wii U after it was able to be hacked where I was able to then install a digital copy of Mario Kart 8 and then sell off my physical copy used for about $30.  So at this point, I paid about $30 for the MK8 game, and then I think it was $15 for all the DLC, so about $45 I've paid on MK8 already.  It is very hard to justify paying $60 more for the same game again with not too much that really makes it all that different than the Wii U version before it.  This is something that bums me out.  I wish Nintendo would offer some sort of discount service for these Wii U games that will inevitably be getting a Deluxe Switch version (I suspect we'll see something similar for Super Smash and Super Mario Maker in the future) for those of us that bought the games on the Wii U the first time around.  Still, push comes to shove, I'm ready to have a great multiplayer game on my Switch, and MK8 has been a fantastic multiplayer for me on the Wii U, so I'll probably bite the bullet and pay full price again.  I may not be the smartest consumer in that sense, but hey, it ultimately leaves me happy, so whatever.

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Well no one is forcing you to buy the games over and over again lol.  All they're doing is giving more options to play their older games, that's not a bad thing.  

More so talking about virtual console, I'am fine with a SNES classic (even with the artificial demand). I know I'am not being forced to buy anything, but it just highlights the fact that purchases need to tied to an account and carried over from platform to platform. As far as I know Nintendo still doesn't do that. 

Just now, Capsov said:

More so talking about virtual console, I'am fine with a SNES classic (even with the artificial demand). I know I'am not being forced to buy anything, but it just highlights the fact that purchases need to tied to an account and carried over from platform to platform. As far as I know Nintendo still doesn't do that. 

Yeah, I definitely agree with that.  The best they ever did was offer slight discounts on the Wii U versions of VC games you had bought on the Wii in the past.  And those discounts were nothing to write home about.

2 minutes ago, Steven J Speedo esq. said:

You forgot Battletoads, M!ke.

I mean it was a classic game for the NES more than it was for the SNES.  Though the SNES version was a more beatable title.  I'd be alright with seeing the SNES Battletoads on the SNES classic, but realistically, I don't see it happening, especially since its again a Rare title.  Now Nintendo has been willing to work with Rare to rerelease titles that include Nintendo IP like the DKC and DK64 games, but that seems to be about the extent that they release older Rare titles on Nintendo systems at this point.  Plus weren't the Battletoads games in that Rare Replay collection for the Xbone?  

12 minutes ago, M!ke said:

So happy.  I was hoping back when it was new on the Wii U that they'd one day update the game with a proper battle mode as DLC or whatever.  But that never happened, and it bummed me out, because the battle mode of 8 is the one blemish in an otherwise well rounded and fantastic title.  In all honesty, I don't think Mario Kart has gotten battle mode right since Mario Kart 64, but now it finally looks like they're giving us that great battle mode the series was always capable of plus other battle modes and options to really cement the fact that MK8 Deluxe will be the best Mario Kart title released so far in just about every way.  The only thing I could agree with that is still lacking, yet don't expect to see return at all, is some of the features of Double Dash.  Switching between 2 characters was cool, and I'd love to see again, but I'm not dying for that feature.  The ability to switch between your two items was nice, while MK8 Deluxe will make you use the first one you picked up first, and that's not a big deal, and I can take it either way.  And finally, and this is the one that I really wish would return, each racer having their own special item was very cool, I really wish they brought that feature back.

Beyond all of that, its hard to justify buying the game again.  Now I hacked my Wii U after it was able to be hacked where I was able to then install a digital copy of Mario Kart 8 and then sell off my physical copy used for about $30.  So at this point, I paid about $30 for the MK8 game, and then I think it was $15 for all the DLC, so about $45 I've paid on MK8 already.  It is very hard to justify paying $60 more for the same game again with not too much that really makes it all that different than the Wii U version before it.  This is something that bums me out.  I wish Nintendo would offer some sort of discount service for these Wii U games that will inevitably be getting a Deluxe Switch version (I suspect we'll see something similar for Super Smash and Super Mario Maker in the future) for those of us that bought the games on the Wii U the first time around.  Still, push comes to shove, I'm ready to have a great multiplayer game on my Switch, and MK8 has been a fantastic multiplayer for me on the Wii U, so I'll probably bite the bullet and pay full price again.  I may not be the smartest consumer in that sense, but hey, it ultimately leaves me happy, so whatever.

Yeah, I might pick it up after it drops in price or something. I can't justify a $48 (BB gamer's club price) game I already sorta own.

1 minute ago, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah, I might pick it up after it drops in price or something. I can't justify a $48 (BB gamer's club price) game I already sorta own.

You know if it included just 2 more brand new race circuits, that would probably be enough for me to stop being on the fence on getting the game again.  I suspect that as it is, they're open to doing more DLC for the Deluxe version, maybe they could link that to the fact that you purchased both versions of the game and the DLC on the first version of the title, and offer such DLC for free to these people, that could also help with my unease.  But this is Nintendo, and while they do seem to be learning in a lot of places, they also seem to like being stubborn in lots of places and this would definitely be one of them.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:14 AM, M!ke said:

Should the SNES classic come out, what 30 games do you think they'd include?  Here is my theoretical list:

1. Super Mario World (Ideally Super Mario All Stars + World, but I doubt All Stars will be included considering the NES classic got all 4 original Mario titles)
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Super Mario RPG
4. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
5. Super Metroid
6. Star Fox
7. Star Fox II (marking the first official release of this completed title, probably not very likely)
8. Earthbound
9. Kirby's Dreamland 3
10. Kirby Super Star
11. Super Mario Kart
12. Chrono Trigger
13. Final Fantasy VI
14. NBA Jam (licensing issues would either be an issue or make every player generic like Tecmo Bowl, so this would either be unlikely or not as great as it should be)
15. Donkey Kong Country
16. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
17. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
18. Mega Man X (considering the NES classic only licensed one Mega Man game, I assume they'd go with only the first X as it was the most iconic of Super Nintendo Mega Man titles)
19. Super Castlevania 4
20. Super Bomberman
21. F-Zero
22. Pilotwings (not a big fan, but realistically, Nintendo is going to include this being a first party title and all)
23. Harvest Moon
24. Tetris Attack
25. Super Punch-Out
26. Secret of Mana
27. Street Fighter II: Turbo
28. Contra 3: The Alien Wars
29. Mortal Kombat 2
30. Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

A few of these might be unlikely.  Having to work with Rare might only limit the Donkey Kong Country series to 1 game instead of all 3, and they'd likely just go with the first in that case since its the only one where you actually play as Donkey Kong, despite 2 being the best of the 3.  An unreleased but finished title like Star Fox II is probably pretty unlikely too.  Heck, Earthbound Beginnings had its official international release via the virtual console only a few years ago, yet that game didn't even make the cut for the NES classic.  But overall, I think its a pretty realistic as to what we might see on a SNES mini.

Good list. It would be interesting for the Donkey Kong games. I mean, Nintendo obviously owns the Donkey Kong franchise and just licensed it to Rare to develop at the time, so I'm not sure how it would play out. 

I'd include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time and Earthworm Jim, taking out some of the latter titles you mentioned (I never played Pilotwings or Ogre Battle, so I wouldn't care for them. I'm sure Tetris would be easy to justify removing since it's available on so many other devices already too). 

I'd also be really interested in how Donkey Kong Country would work out. Nintendo released a remake of Diddy Kong Racing on the DS, but replaced Banjo and Conker with two other Donkey Kong characters. They've gotta have some weird shared-rights deal going on. I don't know what would happen.