Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Yeah, Nintendo has published the Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong 64 games again since Rare left, so its certainly not impossible to be done.  But I bet its not so financially viable for Nintendo to resell those games as I imagine Rare gets a big cut on each title sold.  That's the only reason I'm hesitant on believing that all 3 of the DKC games will appear on a SNES classic, but I do think its possible, at the very least it will definitely have one of them though, I'm sure of that.

9 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Banjo is a Rare property though. So is Conker.

Right, my previous post was worded poorly. I am well aware of this.

On a sort of related note, I've played about an hour of Yooka-Laylee and it literally feels exactly like a modern Banjo-Kazooie which I LOVE.

6 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Right, my previous post was worded poorly. I am well aware of this.

On a sort of related note, I've played about an hour of Yooka-Laylee and it literally feels exactly like a modern Banjo-Kazooie which I LOVE.

It looks like a modern Banjo game.  But the reviewers of the game are not being very kind, most are giving it middling reviews, but some have given it pretty low reviews.  I can't tell if that's due to Yooka-Laylee missing something fundamental to the charm of the N64 Rare games or if the people reviewing the game are just over the idea of collect-a-thon 3D platforming.  I'm certainly interested in such a game again, but the reviews are putting me on the fence about it, especially considering we'll be getting Super Mario Odyssey later this year.  I think for now I'm going to hold off on Yooka-Laylee, but by the time I've beaten Super Mario Odyssey, if I'm still dying for more 3D platforming and the price of Yooka-Laylee has hopefully dropped a little bit, then I think that will be when I ideally get the game on my Switch.

18 minutes ago, M!ke said:

It looks like a modern Banjo game.  But the reviewers of the game are not being very kind, most are giving it middling reviews, but some have given it pretty low reviews.  I can't tell if that's due to Yooka-Laylee missing something fundamental to the charm of the N64 Rare games or if the people reviewing the game are just over the idea of collect-a-thon 3D platforming.  I'm certainly interested in such a game again, but the reviews are putting me on the fence about it, especially considering we'll be getting Super Mario Odyssey later this year.  I think for now I'm going to hold off on Yooka-Laylee, but by the time I've beaten Super Mario Odyssey, if I'm still dying for more 3D platforming and the price of Yooka-Laylee has hopefully dropped a little bit, then I think that will be when I ideally get the game on my Switch.

Like I said, I haven't played much yet, but the little bit that I have played feels just like Banjo. I'll come back and share more thoughts after I get a few more hours of play in.

Just finished the 120th and final shrine.  I'm now just working on upgrading all the armor to the max while collecting as many koroks as I can in the process.  The problem is, I've upgraded most all the normal gear to the max (except the circlet/earings/necklaces, the things that already give me the same effect with something else that's a part of a set), and am just left with all the hero gear from the amiibo (as well as the Wild hero gear), and almost all of them require me to farm a whole bunch of star fragments to boost up and these are probably the most tedious things to farm.  I've seen a few tricks to get them to appear, but nothing seems to be a guarantee.  I really can't think of any other game that kept me coming back over and over so long after beating the main story (Without any sort of multiplayer focus), its pretty nuts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I've only found a star piece in a chest and seen a few falling, are there more ways to get them?

Finding them when they fall is most reliable.  But I have gotten a couple from killing the strongest Lynels.  I think they're the only creature that might drop one.  Best luck I've had, is camping out on top of tall mountains with a great view with a fire I set up to sit by to pass the time to night, the dueling peaks work pretty great.  And looking up to the sky.  People seem to believe that watching on a full moon is more likely to trigger them, but I've had them appear on non full moons and full moons.  I also figured out the structure of the moon cycle in the game in the process if anyone cares.  Every day the phase of the moon cycles through moving from: Full-3/4-1/2-1/4-New(empty)-1/4-1/2-3/4- and then it returns to the full moon and repeats.  I've also determined that a blood moon only occurs on the night of a full moon, I'm not sure if its every 4th full moon or something like that, but it could also be something you could track if you pay attention which could be helpful for activating one specific shrine quest.  

Didn't realize there were certain lynels that were stronger. Scary! I've only noticed that the ones who don't use electricity are easier to fight because I can wear my full suit of metal armor against them. At least, the one lynel I fought that shoots ice arrows instead of shock arrows was a much easier fight. But now that I know some are stronger, maybe it was just a weaker Lynel...

Any tips on collecting Lynel Guts? I need some to upgrade some armor (I forget which armor exactly) but I've killed like five Lynels and they've never dropped guts...

7 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Didn't realize there were certain lynels that were stronger. Scary! I've only noticed that the ones who don't use electricity are easier to fight because I can wear my full suit of metal armor against them. At least, the one lynel I fought that shoots ice arrows instead of shock arrows was a much easier fight. But now that I know some are stronger, maybe it was just a weaker Lynel...

Any tips on collecting Lynel Guts? I need some to upgrade some armor (I forget which armor exactly) but I've killed like five Lynels and they've never dropped guts...

I believe the strongest Lynel are called Silver Lynel.  If you take photos of everything, you can check in your compendium as to what kind of Lynel they are and what they might drop.  As I recall there might be 4 or 5 different types of Lynel, at least 3, I'm sure of that. 

As far as collecting Lynel guts, I had to farm them a while back.  As I recall, I just hunted down all the Lynel I've marked on my map and killed each one, I thought every Lynel dropped one thing of Lynel guts, though now that I think about it, the only time I recall killing any and not receiving any guts was when I killed one of the weakest versions of the Lynel (not sure the name of the weakest type, but they fall incredibly easier compared to all other forms I've come across).  However, I also don't believe they ever drop more than 1 of them, so if you need 5 Lynel guts, that means you have to kill at least 5 Lynels.  

On 4/21/2017 at 5:46 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

For better or worse, they really did just create Banjo-Kazooie in 2017. Everything from the characters voices to the the pause screen and scene transitions, is a carbon copy. I think those looking for anything more than a classic BK are really gonna be bummed. They weren't trying to evolve the series at all, and it really isn't clear if that is a good or bad thing.  Is there 2 million dollars worth of development in it? I'd say no.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capsov said:

For better or worse, they really did just create Banjo-Kazooie in 2017. Everything from the characters voices to the the pause screen and scene transitions, is a carbon copy. I think those looking for anything more than a classic BK are really gonna be bummed. They weren't trying to evolve the series at all, and it really isn't clear if that is a good or bad thing.  Is there 2 million dollars worth of development in it? I'd say no.  

I still haven't played much but it really does feel just like Banjo-Kazooie for better or for worse. I think it's a way for them to "continue" the series in their own way since they obviously don't have the rights to Banjo anymore. Kind of like they're saying "Hey, this is still Banjo-Kazooie! We just changed the characters!" I feel like they just wanted to prove that they an still make a game that feels just like the Banjo games people loved on the N64, and they succeeded in that aspect. I'd assume that if Yooka-Laylee gets any sequels that they'll make it a little more original. But, the whole point of Yooka-Laylee was that is in an intentional and blatant throwback to N64 platformer collect-a-thon gameplay. It wasn't meant to be groundbreaking. There is a fine line that they have to try to walk though, between being too similar to BK to the point that it feels stale, and being too new that it feels like something completely different.

I haven't played it in a few days. I've been busy and sick, and when I had a couple hours to play video games yesterday I played Zelda instead. I'm excited to continue Yooka-Laylee though. I wasn't expecting anything other than a modern-day Banjo-Kazooie game, and from what I've played so far (which, again, is not much) it seems like that's what we got. I can't say for sure this early on but I feel like this might be more fun than Banjo-Tooie, which I felt was kind of a tedious game.

• Like 2