Video Games Thread

dildo69er

I've played through the first three Zeldas in the past week and a half or so. I wasn't planning on doing this initially, but I might just try playing through the entire series, until I get bored or distracted by other things. Link's Awakening next! I got to the last dungeon as a kid but never actually finished the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I've played through the first three Zeldas in the past week and a half or so. I wasn't planning on doing this initially, but I might just try playing through the entire series, until I get bored or distracted by other things. Link's Awakening next! I got to the last dungeon as a kid but never actually finished the game.

Link's Awakening is really underrated. One of the better Zelda games, IMO. I haven't played them since a kid, but Ages/Seasons on GBC were a lot of fun too. 

I've attempted the original Zelda on NES and got about 3-4 dungeons in and then got frustrated. I could be wrong, but don't you restart the whole game if you die? I think I'd need a guide or at least a map on where to go if I attempt playing it again. Have never played Zelda 2 which is a side scroller right? Is it worth playing and what's the best way to play it (maybe hack my mini NES?). 

I replayed Link to the Past on the SNES Classic recently and the game has held up really well. Probably my favourite game of all time. Also replayed Ocarina and Majora's Mask on the 3DS a few years ago, both were really enjoyable and the tweaks/remastering they did worked really well.  And Link Between Worlds on both difficulties, loved that game. Never played Zelda games after N64, didn't own a Gamecube for Wind Waker and I got Twilight Princess on Wii, put in 6-7 hours and half of it was the tutorial and then I got stuck at a really dumb spot and was too lazy to look up a solution and gave up lol. I need to get around to playing all of the ones I missed at some point, which would take a ridiculous amount of time if I do every game (which would be original Zelda, Zelda 2, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks,  Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword - probably skip it, and Breath of the Wind. Jesus christ).

8 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Link's Awakening is really underrated. One of the better Zelda games, IMO. I haven't played them since a kid, but Ages/Seasons on GBC were a lot of fun too. 

I've attempted the original Zelda on NES and got about 3-4 dungeons in and then got frustrated. I could be wrong, but don't you restart the whole game if you die? I think I'd need a guide or at least a map on where to go if I attempt playing it again. Have never played Zelda 2 which is a side scroller right? Is it worth playing and what's the best way to play it (maybe hack my mini NES?). 

I replayed Link to the Past on the SNES Classic recently and the game has held up really well. Probably my favourite game of all time. Also replayed Ocarina and Majora's Mask on the 3DS a few years ago, both were really enjoyable and the tweaks/remastering they did worked really well.  And Link Between Worlds on both difficulties, loved that game. Never played Zelda games after N64, didn't own a Gamecube for Wind Waker and I got Twilight Princess on Wii, put in 6-7 hours and half of it was the tutorial and then I got stuck at a really dumb spot and was too lazy to look up a solution and gave up lol. I need to get around to playing all of the ones I missed at some point, which would take a ridiculous amount of time if I do every game (which would be original Zelda, Zelda 2, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks,  Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword - probably skip it, and Breath of the Wind. Jesus christ).

You don't start the game over when you die in Zelda 1! It is a tough game though. I had beaten it once before, years ago, and that time I used a guide pretty extensively. This last time I just used a map for the most part.

Zelda 2 is the side-scroller, yeah. It's pretty weird for a Zelda game and probably the hardest game in the entire series. But once you get the hang of it I think it's super fun, even if I did have to use a guide for basically the entire game. Figuring out the right strategies for how to fight the different types of enemies was pretty fun, though frustrating at times. I would say it's worth playing, but expect a challenge and accept that you pretty much HAVE to follow a walkthrough because the game does not make it clear at all what you're supposed to be doing, in my opinion.

The only two I've never played are Spirit Tracks and A Link Between Worlds. Spirit Tracks just because I wanted to finish Phantom Hourglass first, but I never finished it. I don't have a good excuse for not playing A Link Between Worlds. I've heard it's great and I've wanted to play it since before it even came out so I dunno what I've been doing.

After A Link to the Past I went back and played the original Legend of Zelda again. I have a newfound love for that game. So simple yet so fun. Really hard the first time you play it, but playing it again so soon after beating it once made it really easy.

Started Links Awakening, I'm about halfway through. Ocarina of Time next! Woo!

I always struggle to get into the 2d top down Zelda games. I’ve got them all installed on my 3ds but I always end up dropping them after the second or third dungeon. Almost finished my first play through of windwaker though. Fun game.

I wish I got to play the hd version as I heard it makes the sailing a bit quicker which would be great cause I’m pretty over the slow sailing of the GameCube version.

Anyone follow the homebrew scene? Switch CFW/homebrew are likely to be realised within the next few weeks which of emulators are realeased (some already are) the switch will be the ultimate emulation device.

I need to play the remaster of WW and Twilight Princess.

Having played and beaten all the 90s Zelda games, I really think I prefer Link's Awakening to A Link To The Past. Something about it is more charming to me. The Capcom games are fairly similar and quite good. It's hard to measure them in my head because I will play them 5 years apart.

15 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Anyone follow the homebrew scene? Switch CFW/homebrew are likely to be realised within the next few weeks which of emulators are realeased (some already are) the switch will be the ultimate emulation device.

I managed to get a custom firmware on my 3ds and it's pretty neat with some of the themes and emulators you can throw on there.

The Wind Waker HD remaster is great. I haven't played the Twilight Princess HD remaster but it doesn't look like it was updated to the extent that The Wind Waker was. The sailing update was great in Wind Waker. The one thing I'm sad about is they removed the GBA connectivity (because it was impossible on the Wii U) so no Tingle Tuner! That was a fun thing to mess with on the Gamecube version if you had a friend over.

Finished Link's Awakening today. Apparently I missed a bunch of stuff so I'll probably go back and try to collect the things I missed. I missed an entire dungeon that was added to the Deluxe version of the game! The ending was strange. I knew what would happen but I didn't know that the game would end with Link still stranded in the middle of the ocean. What a shitty life! I'm pretty excited to play Ocarina of Time again, even though it's by far the Zelda game I'm most familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

A new Star Wars game that ISN'T Battlefront! Why we haven't had 10 more Star Wars games since the Disney buyout is beyond me but we're finally getting something. They missed a huge opportunity to release lots of games during the Force Awakens hype.

Anyway I played the Zelda series through Majora's Mask. That's the first six games. Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite Zelda game. Probably my favorite video game of all time. I'm taking a break now. Now I'm playing a fake English copy of Pokemon Green Version that I bought from China for $4. I'm about halfway through the game but it's getting glitchier and glitchier the more I play, so I might not be able to finish it. I already can't withdraw half of my Pokemon from the PC. Haha. I bought this more out of curiosity than anything (for $4 it was pretty low-risk). I haven't played Pokemon in a really, really long time, not counting Pokemon GO for the first month when that came out. I was never interested in anything past the second generation. Pretty fun though to play Gen 1 again in a slightly different way, even if I don't get to finish it haha.

f39f61a025d4014608dd8986db8ac2cc.jpg

8 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

A new Star Wars game that ISN'T Battlefront! Why we haven't had 10 more Star Wars games since the Disney buyout is beyond me but we're finally getting something. They missed a huge opportunity to release lots of games during the Force Awakens hype.

Anyway I played the Zelda series through Majora's Mask. That's the first six games. Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite Zelda game. Probably my favorite video game of all time. I'm taking a break now. Now I'm playing a fake English copy of Pokemon Green Version that I bought from China for $4. I'm about halfway through the game but it's getting glitchier and glitchier the more I play, so I might not be able to finish it. I already can't withdraw half of my Pokemon from the PC. Haha. I bought this more out of curiosity than anything (for $4 it was pretty low-risk). I haven't played Pokemon in a really, really long time, not counting Pokemon GO for the first month when that came out. I was never interested in anything past the second generation. Pretty fun though to play Gen 1 again in a slightly different way, even if I don't get to finish it haha.

f39f61a025d4014608dd8986db8ac2cc.jpg

What do you think about Yellow getting remakes on the Switch?

There's a lot that I'm excited about for this, but there are aspects I'm not a big fan of.  The reliance of Pokemon Go mechanics and interactivity with Go is a bit of a turn off.  As is the fact that you don't actually fight wild Pokemon (you do in trainer battles though).  However, they also confirmed that next year is when the brand new core Pokemon games for the Switch come out with new graphics and everything (the consensus seems to be that the graphics in these remakes are actually the same from Sun/Moon, just not scaled down), which likely wont have all the Go interactivity we see in these titles.  So I'm ultimately ok with this new take on Pokemon as a holdover until we get the real deal next year.  What I do like here is the 2 player mode, the fact that you can see Pokemon in the overworld, the fact that it's only the original 151 Pokemon, including Alolan forms (plus one brand new yet to be revealed Pokemon), and as annoying as it is that you don't fight wild Pokemon, this means that your party Pokemon's exp likely wont be tied to wild battles meaning you can skip wild battles entirely if you wish by avoiding them on the overworld, and not be penalized by a lack of exp for your party's pokemon in doing so.  Which can really help streamline the experience, so that's kind of a positive spin on that aspect.  

Overall I get the move, its a holdover until next year, but with its foundation in Go with the interactivity within Go, this is going to attract a lot of players that only have Go, which apparently is still an active player base of 60 million people, that could result in shifting a large amount of Switchs from that userbase alone. Hell, even though this isn't the game I personally want right now, I know for sure that I'm going to buy it, because it looks like a lot of fun in its own way.  Not gonna lie, I might even get that Pokeball controller as well, it's kinda adorable.

Also, they better finally put Mew under that damn truck.

I'm still playing Pokemon Go and it's still a bit of a mess of a game. This really is just a quick thing for them to throw out for people to buy a switch this holiday season. I mean it certainly serves a purpose to get newbies into the games and those willing to revisit the classic era.