Video Games Thread

dildo69er

9 hours ago, M!ke said:

What do you think about Yellow getting remakes on the Switch?

There's a lot that I'm excited about for this, but there are aspects I'm not a big fan of.  The reliance of Pokemon Go mechanics and interactivity with Go is a bit of a turn off.  As is the fact that you don't actually fight wild Pokemon (you do in trainer battles though).  However, they also confirmed that next year is when the brand new core Pokemon games for the Switch come out with new graphics and everything (the consensus seems to be that the graphics in these remakes are actually the same from Sun/Moon, just not scaled down), which likely wont have all the Go interactivity we see in these titles.  So I'm ultimately ok with this new take on Pokemon as a holdover until we get the real deal next year.  What I do like here is the 2 player mode, the fact that you can see Pokemon in the overworld, the fact that it's only the original 151 Pokemon, including Alolan forms (plus one brand new yet to be revealed Pokemon), and as annoying as it is that you don't fight wild Pokemon, this means that your party Pokemon's exp likely wont be tied to wild battles meaning you can skip wild battles entirely if you wish by avoiding them on the overworld, and not be penalized by a lack of exp for your party's pokemon in doing so.  Which can really help streamline the experience, so that's kind of a positive spin on that aspect.  

Overall I get the move, its a holdover until next year, but with its foundation in Go with the interactivity within Go, this is going to attract a lot of players that only have Go, which apparently is still an active player base of 60 million people, that could result in shifting a large amount of Switchs from that userbase alone. Hell, even though this isn't the game I personally want right now, I know for sure that I'm going to buy it, because it looks like a lot of fun in its own way.  Not gonna lie, I might even get that Pokeball controller as well, it's kinda adorable.

Also, they better finally put Mew under that damn truck.

lmao yes. They should go out of their way to include as many false widespread rumors from 20 years ago as possible. And put MissingNo in the game on purpose.

I'm not actually too excited about Let's Go, but I don't have a Switch, so it's hard to get hyped. Pokemon GO was really fun for about a month, because literally everyone on earth was playing it. LITERALLY. The novelty wore off pretty fast though. Honestly if I had a Switch (or if I get one before this comes out) I'd probably pick this game up. It seems like a fun little time waster, and a good holdover until a real game comes out, but it's not something I'm super excited about.

7 hours ago, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

Over the last few weeks I beat Bioshock 1-3 and the DLC. Hadn’t played the DLC before. My favorite non Mario franchise. 

What's your favorite Mario game?

Depending on my mood, mine switches between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64. I'm pretty sure Mario Bros 3 was the first video game I ever played in my life.

35 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

What's your favorite Mario game?

Depending on my mood, mine switches between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64. I'm pretty sure Mario Bros 3 was the first video game I ever played in my life.

There’s a picture of me at about 3 years old playing Mario 3. I still play it all the time. 

I would put Mario 3 first, 64 second. I never really gave Sunshine a chance, and I don’t like SMW2. Besides those I love them all, 1 through Odyssey. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

There’s a picture of me at about 3 years old playing Mario 3. I still play it all the time. 

I would put Mario 3 first, 64 second. I never really gave Sunshine a chance, and I don’t like SMW2. Besides those I love them all, 1 through Odyssey. 

Yeah I don't really count SMW2 as a Mario game. I consider it the first of the Yoshi series. I still haven't played Odyssey because I don't have a Switch, but I love pretty much every Mario game. Sunshine is awesome! Really bummed that my copy got scratched so that when I get to a certain level in the game, it just crashes.

I wish they'd remake the DS version of Super Mario 64 on another system. I loved the idea of that game, but the controls killed it for me. I never finished it for that reason. If they released the same game with better controls I'd love it.

57 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah I don't really count SMW2 as a Mario game. I consider it the first of the Yoshi series. I still haven't played Odyssey because I don't have a Switch, but I love pretty much every Mario game. Sunshine is awesome! Really bummed that my copy got scratched so that when I get to a certain level in the game, it just crashes.

I wish they'd remake the DS version of Super Mario 64 on another system. I loved the idea of that game, but the controls killed it for me. I never finished it for that reason. If they released the same game with better controls I'd love it.

I thought Odyssey was a little overrated, but still amazing. I never played 64DS 

Regarding Sunshine,  I just couldn’t get past that  the fun was to clean stuff! I plan on trying again one day if I get my GameCube hooked back up. 

On 11/06/2018 at 7:10 AM, knapton said:

Damn so many good games announced at E3. New Halo, new Gears of War, new skateboarding game that looks like the next Skate, and a game called cyberpunk that looks really cool. 

Session has had the beta demo out for a while on PC.

It's an indie group, just 5 dudes. some were involved in Skate I believe. they had a kick-starter to fundraise it, I've been following the progress for like a year. really excited for it's release - I hope it goes well for them. so many people were angry because they thought it was Skate 4 because the Skate 3 servers were recently put back online but I think that's unfair. Session have put so much work into it. 

8 hours ago, Reginald said:

Hands down, best looking game i’ve ever seen. Its crazy. The gameplay looks like a trailer the entire time 

I've always wanted to play the first one, always meant to buy a playstation just so I could but can't justify the cost. this might swing it.

Cyberpunk looked pretty cool. new Gears I'm down for too - I couldn't give a crap about the new halo though. I was too bored to finish Halo 4 and Halo 5 has just sat under my xbox since release. I have zero interest in the franchise without Bungie, and they're too busy ruining Destiny. 

New DOOM is interesting too, would like to know more. Anthem I have more time for now that we've got new info.

definitely an interesting E3 so far

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Session has had the beta demo out for a while on PC.

It's an indie group, just 5 dudes. some were involved in Skate I believe. they had a kick-starter to fundraise it, I've been following the progress for like a year. really excited for it's release - I hope it goes well for them. so many people were angry because they thought it was Skate 4 because the Skate 3 servers were recently put back online but I think that's unfair. Session have put so much work into it. 

I've always wanted to play the first one, always meant to buy a playstation just so I could but can't justify the cost. this might swing it.

Cyberpunk looked pretty cool. new Gears I'm down for too - I couldn't give a crap about the new halo though. I was too bored to finish Halo 4 and Halo 5 has just sat under my xbox since release. I have zero interest in the franchise without Bungie, and they're too busy ruining Destiny. 

New DOOM is interesting too, would like to know more. Anthem I have more time for now that we've got new info.

definitely an interesting E3 so far

I'm beginning to feel this way too, but that new Halo trailer got me hyped. It was essentially a tech demo using the new in-game engine, but both the art style and graphics looked incredibly smooth (which indicates it might be a next-gen release). I also got the vibes from it that it would be an open world game where you can explore the entire Halo ring, which would be pretty cool. They will definitely have to innovate the next release a lot more than Halo 4 and Halo 5. I'm like you, I didn't bother playing through the campaign of Halo 5 because it was kind of boring. 

I've only watched the Bethesda conference and some random trailers online, but based on that I'm really stoked for Cyberpunk, Halo, Fallout 76 (even with the multiplayer, I think it could be great), DOOM Eternal, RAGE 2, Elder Scrolls 6,  Elder Scrolls Blades, Starfield....pretty much every game that Bethesda announced. 

• Like 1

Fucking amped about Super Smash Bros Ultimate, it has every Smash Bros fighter the series has ever had, with additional fighters so far in Inklings, Daisy, and Ridley.  Looks friggin nuts. I hope it has a return of an adventure mode though, there's been no word on anything like that yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kvothe said:

I'm beginning to feel this way too, but that new Halo trailer got me hyped. It was essentially a tech demo using the new in-game engine, but both the art style and graphics looked incredibly smooth (which indicates it might be a next-gen release). I also got the vibes from it that it would be an open world game where you can explore the entire Halo ring, which would be pretty cool. They will definitely have to innovate the next release a lot more than Halo 4 and Halo 5. I'm like you, I didn't bother playing through the campaign of Halo 5 because it was kind of boring. 

I've only watched the Bethesda conference and some random trailers online, but based on that I'm really stoked for Cyberpunk, Halo, Fallout 76 (even with the multiplayer, I think it could be great), DOOM Eternal, RAGE 2, Elder Scrolls 6,  Elder Scrolls Blades, Starfield....pretty much every game that Bethesda announced. 

I didnt watch the bethesda one but i heard it was the best. I watched Ubisoft which was pretty bad and then most of Sony which was alright. 

I cant wait for a new Halo. That game has always been my favourite and i like to think im pretty good at it. I never got a chance to play Halo 5 but i owned at Halo 4. 

The new battelefield looks pretty good too. 

16 hours ago, M!ke said:

Fucking amped about Super Smash Bros Ultimate, it has every Smash Bros fighter the series has ever had, with additional fighters so far in Inklings, Daisy, and Ridley.  Looks friggin nuts. I hope it has a return of an adventure mode though, there's been no word on anything like that yet.

Still waiting to hear about my dream Smash characters: Paper Mario (seems possible) and Banjo-Kazooie (extremely unlikely).

Other than them, most character's I'd really want to see are already in the game. There are plenty of characters I wouldn't mind seeing as playable characters though! Waluigi and Bomberman come to mind.

Toad from SMB2 would be cool.

Nintendo had a very mediocre presentation in terms of their games. Smash and Fire Emblem are great, but not else. Mario Party might be good. But yeah, nothing really stuck with me outside of that. Also did they say anything about the Travis Touchdown game?

On 6/13/2018 at 8:13 AM, _Kyle_ said:

Toad from SMB2 would be cool.

Nintendo had a very mediocre presentation in terms of their games. Smash and Fire Emblem are great, but not else. Mario Party might be good. But yeah, nothing really stuck with me outside of that. Also did they say anything about the Travis Touchdown game?

Yeah, it makes sense though, Nintendo has kinda shifted what E3 is to them.  They've made it more about what is coming in the more immediate future and not so much about teasing far away games (Fire Emblem is the furthest away reveal for this year at Spring 2019, and I think that was only revealed because last year in a Fire Emblem Direct, they had said it would come out this year, but there had been nothing yet shown off), with exception to those that get delayed or the exciting reveal of a big Zelda game or Metroid Prime 4.  When they do a new Direct every month or two, the significance of their E3 directs isn't quite as big of a deal as the shows are for the likes of Sony or Microsoft.

On 6/13/2018 at 4:51 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

Still waiting to hear about my dream Smash characters: Paper Mario (seems possible) and Banjo-Kazooie (extremely unlikely).

Other than them, most character's I'd really want to see are already in the game. There are plenty of characters I wouldn't mind seeing as playable characters though! Waluigi and Bomberman come to mind.

Sadly, both of those are confirmed to be assist trophies in this game.  While I legit couldn't care less about how they treat Waluigi in the Smash games, fighter or assist trophy is just fine by me.  For them to reveal that Bomberman is indeed in the game, but that he's only an assist trophy was my only disappointment in the whole reveal.  He really could make such a fantastic fighter, but I am happy he's even in the game at all, he definitely deserves some sort of place in Smash.

4 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Anyone here play(ed) Elder Scrolls Online? It was 50% off on the Microsoft store so I got it with the Morrowind expansion for like $15. Is it any good? I've heard it's the best newish MMO but that's not saying much.

The people I know who own it say it's shite but they're more elder scrolls people than MMO people.

17 hours ago, Kay said:

The people I know who own it say it's shite but they're more elder scrolls people than MMO people.

Yeah same here, but I'm not going to approach it as an Elder Scrolls game. Just an MMO that shares the same universe, lore, and HUD. 
I've heard it's gotten better over time with the expansion packs and going free-to-play over the monthly fees. At $15 for a MMO + expansion, can't really go wrong. I ended up going with an Orc stam DK DPS build, we'll see how much of my life I need to flush down the toilet before I am respectable in PVP. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Epic Games/Fortnite just did the coolest thing ever.  There was this rocket launch event that happened this morning.  Basically if you were in a game at 10:30 this morning then you got to watch it happen.  It was pretty fucking cool that they pulled it off with no issues.  Groups of people together watching it and not killing anyone.  I was on a platform with about 20 people for like 3 minutes while we all watched it.  Good job epic.

On the flip side, someone just set the world record for kills in a solo game by breaking down one of those viewing platforms and sending 48 people to their deaths lol.  Its both super shitty and super awesome at the same time lol.

• Haha 1