Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Yeah that's what I read too, but I can't say from experience. I would say if you have a PS4, stick with what you have. If you don't, maybe go all in.

Honestly the people who jizz over frame rates and the best most optimal graphical experience ever are annoying to me. It doesn't make or break the game.

I'm guessing quite a while still. It might just be in my head but it feels like console generations are lasting longer now. Especially now that there are 100 versions of each console, with upgraded or "pro" versions, mini versions, bare bones budget versions, etc etc... Instead of new consoles, they just sort of drag out the current ones forever it feels like.

Though I think that's also because the quality jump between generations is getting smaller and smaller. Xbox to Xbox 360 felt pretty great, N64 to GameCube was awesome. PS3 to PS4 doesn't feel too different, for example, at least to me.

Yeah, the quality is so high and the cost of making games that caliber is gonna make system cycles a lot longer. That's fine with me honestly. I play a lot more indiegames now that they've caught up a bit and look fantastic.

PS5 should be about 2022 if I had to guess.

Honestly this last gen upgrade was one of the weaker ones in memory. There isn't an enormous difference between PS3/4 or Xbox 360/One like there has been on past upgrades.

I would hate to upgrade again unless there was something truly unique going down.

• Like 1

The gap in graphical improvements gets smaller every generation. The last big improvement was from Playstation/N64 to PS2/Gamecube/Xbox.

Sony and Microsoft need to innovate like Nintendo does. Microsoft focussed heavily on TV support on the Xbox One, which I have never used because paying for cable is a huge waste of money where I live. 

On 8/14/2018 at 8:34 AM, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah that's what I read too, but I can't say from experience. I would say if you have a PS4, stick with what you have. If you don't, maybe go all in.

Honestly the people who jizz over frame rates and the best most optimal graphical experience ever are annoying to me. It doesn't make or break the game.

Indeed.  The PS4 Pro isn't outputting games in true 4K, its essentially upscaling to 4K, as opposed to the Xbone X, which can output games in true 4K (though some games prove to be too much for that, and even some titles on the Xbone X are upscaled to 4K as well).  Of course the problem you run into if you compare the two, is that while the X is definitely the more powerful machine, the Xbone has been surprisingly lacking in the quality exclusive titles this gen, at least compared to Sony and even Nintendo.  So if all you want is to play the latest 3rd party offerings in the best quality, then the Xbone X would be the system you want.  If you're looking to get the most out of the PS4, the Pro is the way to go, however to any frame rate and resolution snob out there, they will be disappointed to see that their games aren't in true 4K on the PS4 Pro.  Personally though, I'm with you, I seriously couldn't care less about 4K, so long as a modern game is HD and resolution is 30fps or more, then I seriously don't care, the games I love to play are just as playable in such a state, and I don't feel like my eyesight is being assaulted or anything ridiculous like that.

I know I'm stuck in 2000 but I miss the days of consoles (and games) not needing 1000 updates to play them. I don't own a current gen console, but I've used my brother's Xbox One a bit. I can't stand how when I want to play a game for the first time, I have to install it, update the system, etc... When he got Battlefront for Christmas a few years ago it took hours before he could actually start playing it. Even games that are already installed, like GTA 5, have outrageously long load times. I miss the GameCube. The console never once had to be updated, the games never once had to be updated, nothing had to be installed, you buy a new game, pop it in, and start playing it immediately.

I was also getting really frustrated the other day when the Xbox One wouldn't play a 360 game that was definitely supposed to be backwards compatible. It was on every list of backwards compatible games, and no matter what I did, no matter what I updated, it wouldn't work. Current gen consoles give me a headache.

I also don't think current gen games are going to last. With all the patches and updates and DLC and a required internet connection, buying used copies of these games in the future is going to be pointless. I can buy a used N64 game and I have the entire game. But if I try to buy, say, an Xbox One game 20 years from now, I'm not going to get the "full" game, and likely won't be able to play it at all because of the required internet connectivity thing that will be long out of service by then. I'm really interested in seeing what kinds of solutions to these problems we'll come up with. Somehow I don't see there being a "retro scene" 20 years from now. Maybe people simply won't care about old PS4 and Xbox One games in the future the way people currently care about retro games. I dunno. We'll see!

With all that said, I want a Switch, very badly. Currently I am content with my NES and SNES Classic Editions.

I've been crushing a lot of Overwatched ranked lately. Just got past 2,600 SR. Basically rolling Brigette/Pharah/Orisa unless my team composition is absolute shit. 

Recently had a game where I healed over 21,000 as Lucio, without any overtime or anything (it was a game of payload on Hollywood that happened to basically go the distance for both rounds). I need to dig up the stats for that game to see the % of team damage that I healed for since the award I got was for providing 39 sound barriers. 

I did 1900 the other night with Mercy, and I wasn't even trying that hard.

arcade is usually great the first two games, then they stick me with impossibly bad teams for like 4-5 games, then it evens out. so annoying.

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I did 1900 the other night with Mercy, and I wasn't even trying that hard.

arcade is usually great the first two games, then they stick me with impossibly bad teams for like 4-5 games, then it evens out. so annoying.

Mercy heals a lot quicker and more efficiently than Lucio, though. Lucio I usually do like 10,000-15,000 healing on a good game, which is why I was surprised to see I hit 21,000. It was also in a ranked game, which usually means people try harder. 

I have a conspiracy theory regarding arcade. I find they really make you work for that last win to get a loot box sometimes. I tend to get put on a bad team like 4-5 games in a row where it doesn't matter how well I play, our team is too shitty (I'm talking the people that go Hanzo and Widow and don't do any damage effectively being totally useless). It's pretty infuriating.  

32 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Could be.

Well, I meant to say kudos. That is good. But also I did 1900 which was pretty high in random considering I was only a healer once.

Yeah that is good for randoms. Randoms are such a shit show for stats since you only play them once. So annoying when you build up your ult and die before getting a chance to use t.