Video Games Thread

dildo69er

5 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Been on an RPG kick lately. After finishing Final Fantasy 6, I wanted more. Played through Chrono Trigger and just started Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Fun stuff! Haven't really played RPGs much since the Game Boy Color Pokemon games.

Funny you mention it; I was just contemplating playing Chrono Trigger as I've never played it. I hacked my mini SNES to include it, and have it on Nintendo DS as well. I'm torn between it and Earthbound - from what I gather, Chrono Trigger is the overall better game, but Earthbound is more quirky and has better dialogue/writing. 

On 4/2/2015 at 2:23 AM, prankerd14 said:

Hi I recently got Xbox 360 again after years of being exiled by choice lol ...can anyone recommend any good games please? Never been much of a gamer since Dreamcast and ps2 days ...loved stuff like shenmue and shenmue 2...shame they didn't ever do a 3rd!..fall out 3 and new Vegas...just finished dead space 1&2 and on the 3rd but the storyline is shocking...

Looking for a story based game really downloaded the demo for the walking dead that seems quality! Any ideas please I'm a Xbox newbie!!! Any old or new games...

Then in a few years I'll get the Xbox one ;)

Shenmue 3 is coming out August 29th 2019.

• Wow 1

3 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Funny you mention it; I was just contemplating playing Chrono Trigger as I've never played it. I hacked my mini SNES to include it, and have it on Nintendo DS as well. I'm torn between it and Earthbound - from what I gather, Chrono Trigger is the overall better game, but Earthbound is more quirky and has better dialogue/writing. 

I haven’t played earthbound yet but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!

Chrono Trigger was amazing though. I had played it a little bit on an emulator as a kid but not enough to really get into it. I couldn’t believe it wasn’t one of the games included on the SNES Classic, but there were a good amount of RPGs on it already. But i definitely recommend it! I loved it and it wasn’t super long which is a plus for me. Final Fantasy 6 was also fantastic but it took me forever to finish. Chrono Trigger was much quicker without feeling *too* short.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:57 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

Been on an RPG kick lately. After finishing Final Fantasy 6, I wanted more. Played through Chrono Trigger and just started Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Fun stuff! Haven't really played RPGs much since the Game Boy Color Pokemon games.

Dude, if you have a Switch, friggin get Octopath Traveler, it is everything I love about oldschool RPGs with some clever modern touches here and there.  I really love the visual style too, the way it blends oldschool sprite graphics with 3D environments that look straight out of paintings is just beautiful.  Can't recommend it enough for any fan of Square's older RPGs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M!ke said:

Dude, if you have a Switch, friggin get Octopath Traveler, it is everything I love about oldschool RPGs with some clever modern touches here and there.  I really love the visual style too, the way it blends oldschool sprite graphics with 3D environments that look straight out of paintings is just beautiful.  Can't recommend it enough for any fan of Square's older RPGs.

I don’t have a Switch yet sadly but Ocotpath Traveler looks beautiful. Definitely want to give it a try one day!

59 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

The Switch is like a portable steam machine. it's pretty great. The Nintendo lineup is just the icing on the cake.

Yeah, serious props to Nintendo for being able to go from the dud that was the Wii U to the success of the Switch.  (Though the Wii U will always hold a place in my heart, and I hacked the hell out of that thing making it capable of playing nearly any and all Nintendo games up through the Wii U, except for the 3DS, and some DS and N64 games.)

7 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Wii U > Wii

Definitely, Nintendo had a lot of solid first party titles for that system too.  But it failed for so many obvious reasons: horrible marketing, major lack of 3rd party support, and staying too far behind the competition power-wise without having a good excuse to be, beyond keeping the price down (the Wii's excuse was it was focusing on innovation within the industry with motion control, and the Switch's excuse is that it has to jam all its components in a portable system). 

I still think there is a lot of untapped potential in the 2 screen gameplay that the Wii U had to offer, for example, I think if ever Pokemon Snap should have gotten a sequel, it should have been on the Wii U, where the gamepad is the camera, you literally are essentially Todd, the TV screen shows you moving forward on the track, but as you move the gamepad, you move the camera and looking on the Gamepad's screen would essentially show what you'd be looking at through the viewfinder of the camera.

Anyone else feel like they were way better at video games as a kid? I could plow through Mario Bros 1 and 3, and got all 120 stars in Mario 64 before kindergarten. I also got gold medals on every Star Fox 64 level as a kid which is hard as hell and I cannot do anymore no matter how hard I try. I used to destroy all my friends at Smash Bros. Now I just kinda suck at everything, but I'm still having fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Anyone else feel like they were way better at video games as a kid? I could plow through Mario Bros 1 and 2, and got all 120 stars in Mario 64 before kindergarten. I also got gold medals on ever Star Fox 64 level as a kid which is hard as hell and I cannot do anymore no matter how hard I try. I used to destroy all my friends at Smash Bros. Now I just kinda suck at everything, but I'm still having fun!

Probably because you had more time to spend replaying levels and memorizing stuff.

Realistically, I think you peak as a gamer somewhere from 14-24 years old. That's mostly based on the age of eSports players that I've noticed. Probably largely due to reaction speed/hand-eye coordination. 

• Like 1