Video Games Thread

dildo69er

I’ve been mainly playing Spider-Man and Xenoblade chronicles 2 torna expansion pack. Loving them both.

Ive set up my switch with homebrew now and it’s the ultimate emulation machine. SNES, NES and GBA all work flawlessly and ps1 has 95% of all games running perfectly. Can’t wait for portable GameCube games to be available at a decent speed.

PlayStation Classic announced. 20 Classic games on a mini PlayStation. And yes, it’s actually called “PlayStation Classic.”

Not sure if I’m excited yet, because they haven’t announced the complete list of games yet and there are only a few I’d really want to play.

Also the AC adaptor is sold separately for some reason.

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah mine did too. But I bought a 12 ft HDMI cable to comfortably play them from my couch.

Lol I did the same thing; I swapped the HDMI cable from my old monitor so I could play on my couch. 

I'm currently a few hours into Super Metroid. Really enjoying it so far. Just got to the Wrecked Ship so I think I still have a ways to go. 

• Like 1

I got to play Super Smash Bros Ultimate today (err, yesterday... Saturday). Nintendo came to the University of Oregon football game and had a bunch of TVs set up with demos of the game. I got to play two rounds. I tried Ridley. It was fun! Not enough time to get a real feel for the game, especially since I was playing with the Switch Pro Controller which I had never held before. It felt like Smash Bros, i dunno what else to say. But it was a good time!

• Like 1

Just beat Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country. 

DKC hasn't aged quite as well as I would have expected - it was my favourite SNES game growing up, but the game's design isn't as good as I remember it. Too many frustrating and cheap levels. Near the end, the game basically trolls you with all the bullshit it throws at you - especially the last part of the last level before King K Rool. Just started up Donkey Kong Country 2 which is surprisingly a huge upgrade - the soundtrack, the gameplay, the map design, and the additional bonus stages/animal companions/etc... I didn't remember the gap being this big between games. Planning on playing through the whole trilogy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

It's weird to think back on DKC and think "wow, this is 3D". Because it felt like that. That and Star Fox were such mind blowing experiences

Yeah, I remember that blowing me away at the time. DKC 2 and 3 had beautiful backdrops that really added to the immersion as well. I think Super Mario RPG was the first game on SNES to really accomplish the 3D element and nail it. I remember Mortal Kombat also impressed me because I don't think I had ever seen real life people used as sprites before. 

12 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Just beat Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country. 

DKC hasn't aged quite as well as I would have expected - it was my favourite SNES game growing up, but the game's design isn't as good as I remember it. Too many frustrating and cheap levels. Near the end, the game basically trolls you with all the bullshit it throws at you - especially the last part of the last level before King K Rool. Just started up Donkey Kong Country 2 which is surprisingly a huge upgrade - the soundtrack, the gameplay, the map design, and the additional bonus stages/animal companions/etc... I didn't remember the gap being this big between games. Planning on playing through the whole trilogy. 

DKC 2 is easily my favorite. I played the first two a few years ago, and then a few weeks ago I played through 3 for the first time, and then DKC Returns on Wii. 3 was fun but not quite as good as 2. Returns was fun but was super different. Hard to compare it really.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

DKC 2 is easily my favorite. I played the first two a few years ago, and then a few weeks ago I played through 3 for the first time, and then DKC Returns on Wii. 3 was fun but not quite as good as 2. Returns was fun but was super different. Hard to compare it really.

Yeah DKC 2 was probably my favourite as well. I also recall it being the most difficult - the prickle bush levels with Squawks the Parrot gave me a lot of grief as a kid, as well as needing to pay 2 coins to save the game which seems a bit harsh. 

DKC 3 was great for world building and it was fun that they added elements outside of the levels, like exploration with the different vehicles you get. 

I never completed the 'hidden' worlds in DKC 2 and 3 as a kid, though - the ones that you unlock by getting the necessary coins. I'm looking forward to trying to beat those now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Yeah DKC 2 was probably my favourite as well. I also recall it being the most difficult - the prickle bush levels with Squawks the Parrot gave me a lot of grief as a kid, as well as needing to pay 2 coins to save the game which seems a bit harsh. 

DKC 3 was great for world building and it was fun that they added elements outside of the levels, like exploration with the different vehicles you get. 

I never completed the 'hidden' worlds in DKC 2 and 3 as a kid, though - the ones that you unlock by getting the necessary coins. I'm looking forward to trying to beat those now.

Yeah I think 2 was the most difficult.

I never actually did the hidden worlds either. I should try for those one of these days.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...