Jump to content
dildo69er

Video Games Thread

Recommended Posts

Some decent sales on right now, just bought Cuphead, Dead Cells, and Bastion (own it on PC but it was $3 for Xbox and it might be my favourite indie game). Dead Cells is surprisingly similar to Bastion when it comes to the combat mechanics and weapons. 

Debating whether Star Wars Battlefront 2 is worth $10 at this point. I hate EA and everything they did to the franchise, but for $10 it’s a bit tempting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the whole Jedi Knight series (5 games) on Steam for $9 the other day. Bad news for my future productivity.

Been on a huge Final Fantasy kick this year, after playing FFVI on the SNES Classic. I had never played a FF game before that but now I've played the first six of them. Well, almost. Still playing FF5. Really enjoying this series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I bought the whole Jedi Knight series (5 games) on Steam for $9 the other day. Bad news for my future productivity.

Been on a huge Final Fantasy kick this year, after playing FFVI on the SNES Classic. I had never played a FF game before that but now I've played the first six of them. Well, almost. Still playing FF5. Really enjoying this series.

You played 7 yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, knapton said:

Anyone trying this atlas game i keep hearing about?

I got the Star Fox bundle and it's been fun. At $35, I can't really complain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost done playing through Bastion, absolutely love this game. The soundtrack alone is worth the purchase (it was on sale for $3), but damn the gameplay is deceptively deep. The more you play the game, the more depth you realize it has. Probably my favourite indie game of all time, or at least tied with Inside. 

On top of Dead Cells, Bastion, and Cuphead, I also just splurged and got Subnautica, Dark Souls: Remastered, and SW Battlefront 2. Hoping Battlefront 2 has improved since the release when the entire internet took a steamy dump on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started up Dead Cells and have put a few hours into it now. It does a lot of great things, but there are quite a few issues with it as well. The difficulty curve is a bit out of wack, as my first hour or two I would only make it to the third or fourth level and then die. Now I'm on a play through where I found two rare (yellow) and overpowered weapons, and I'm on the sixth level and the game has become exponentially easier. I realize I'm better with the gameplay and combat, but it's mainly due to getting lucky and finding good weapons and gear. Overall, I'm just not a fan of play-to-win games where you have a huge advantage in progressing based on how much time you've put into the game. Based on the cell system and unlocking more stuff, this seems to be the case. 

The soundtrack is also repetitive, they really need more variety than just that one song constantly playing. Also not a huge fan of the dialogue and comments your character makes, they seem uninspired and forced most of the time.

I really enjoy the fluidity of the combat, the amount of customization in your weapons and gear, and the little tweaks the game throws at you (mini bosses, cursed treasure chests, etc.). The art style is also some of the best pixel art I've played. Overall I really enjoy the game and am excited to finish it, but it's far from perfect

 

Also fired up Dark Souls: Remastered the other day. Just defeated the Gargoyles and the game is just as awesome as I remember. It's crazy that, what would have taken me like 5-10 hours when first playing, took me like 2 hours because of how much better I am at the game having played the original when it was released as well as Dark Souls 3 recently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 2:18 AM, ...Dan... said:

You played 7 yet?

Not yet! Can't wait to play it since it's basically the only FF game I ever heard anyone talk about for my entire life. I was always a Nintendo guy so I never got to play a lot of classic Playstation games like that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember not liking FF7 at the time but I’m also not totally into JRPGs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Not yet! Can't wait to play it since it's basically the only FF game I ever heard anyone talk about for my entire life. I was always a Nintendo guy so I never got to play a lot of classic Playstation games like that one.

You're in for a treat, easily in my top 5 games ever. Let us know how you find it when you get onto it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played the computer version of it and had everything and everyone maxed. I love it but I don't think I could handle playing it right now but the remake could be alright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I remember not liking FF7 at the time but I’m also not totally into JRPGs

I wasn't into them either for the longest time, until I played FF6 on my SNES Classic a year ago, and now I'm hooked.

 

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

You're in for a treat, easily in my top 5 games ever. Let us know how you find it when you get onto it.

Will do! Probably won't be for a while but I'm really excited to finally play it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

RE2?

Yeah I loved that game back then. Best one of the series. Code Veronica was pretty good too. As good as 4 was, it all kinda went to shit after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there's a bunch of star wars nerds in here, did anyone ever play this game?

450?cb=20080427034139

Legit tied as best SW game for me. (4 way tie: Battlefront, Jedi Outcast, Shadows of empire, this).

Movies suck but great games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

I know there's a bunch of star wars nerds in here, did anyone ever play this game?

450?cb=20080427034139

Legit tied as best SW game for me. (4 way tie: Battlefront, Jedi Outcast, Shadows of empire, this).

Movies suck but great games.

I think I played the demo on PC and had a lot of fun with it, but looking it up on google shows that critics panned it lol.

Your list is missing some of the greats like Republic Commando, KOTOR 1 and 2, Rogue Squadron, Empire at War, Galaxies, and even Pod Racer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I think I played the demo on PC and had a lot of fun with it, but looking it up on google shows that critics panned it lol.

That's why it's underrated, hidden gem. Notice 93% users liked it, but critics give it crap. The multiplayer was top notch

9 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Your list is missing some of the greats like Republic Commando, KOTOR 1 and 2, Rogue Squadron, Empire at War, Galaxies, and even Pod Racer

Only played the bold. Kotor is the opposite end of spectrum, what I'd call overrated by the community. It's a good game just not great to me.  Rogue Squadron could go in there, that one was great. Pod was solid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never played that one. I got Shadows of the Empire for N64 a few years back and remember enjoying it, but I never finished it. I do like KOTOR but I agree that it's overrated. It's good, but it's not the best game ever like people make it out to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×