Books

Pussay Patrol

Finished The Wise Man's Fear - overall a great book but a huge departure from the overarching storyline of the KingKiller Chronicle. It was really well written but it gets side tracked a lot and was frustrating to read in the latter half. Still one of the best fantasy series I've ever read though. 

Just started The Stand by Stephen King. It's my first Stephen King novel (I have IT and the Dark Tower sitting on my book shelf as well). It's alright so far...huge change from the last book I read in terms of how blunt and straight forward his writing style is. I'm enjoying it so far though. 

On 7/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, Kvothe said:

Finished The Wise Man's Fear - overall a great book but a huge departure from the overarching storyline of the KingKiller Chronicle. It was really well written but it gets side tracked a lot and was frustrating to read in the latter half. Still one of the best fantasy series I've ever read though. 

Just started The Stand by Stephen King. It's my first Stephen King novel (I have IT and the Dark Tower sitting on my book shelf as well). It's alright so far...huge change from the last book I read in terms of how blunt and straight forward his writing style is. I'm enjoying it so far though. 

I have a love/hate thing going on with King. Loooove the Dark Tower series, Salem's Lot and a ton of his short stories and novellas, but he's also the most consistent author of books I have started but never finished. Definitely read more of his work in my younger years but I don't denounce him the way some people do who used to enjoy his books growing up.

All that said, stick with The Stand. I really enjoyed it. Probably the most "literary" of all his works. I'm not big on religious imagery in stories, super overused to make repetitive and over-done metaphors/commentaries, but for some reason The Stand got a pass for me.

Tried to start IT again recently but it's just tough for me to get into.

• Like 1

I love a lot of King novels, but I couldn't get into the dark tower series. I've read a lot of fantasy but I couldn't finish The Gunslinger it was boring as all fuck.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Kay said:

I love a lot of King novels, but I couldn't get into the dark tower series. I've read a lot of fantasy but I couldn't finish The Gunslinger it was boring as all fuck.

It doesn't pick up until the second book but I actually really enjoyed the first one. Something about Roland being a loner I really enjoyed.

• 3 months later...

I just finished Swan Song and a book on the Pearl Harbor attacks who's title escapes me currently. Today I'm starting Robert Fisk's The Great War for Civilisation. I started it a while ago but trying to remember anything I read or did prior to a few months ago is like trying to see memories under water. It's all just a blurry, watery and muffled mess. So, time to start it over.

• Like 1

I just finished Hillary Clinton's What Happened. The beginning pulls you in, the middle it gets slow (probably just because I wasn't interested in a lot of the topics), and the ending finishes strong with explaining the Russian interference, fake news, and what happened on election night. It's a great read - she's a hell of a writer - and it definitely sheds light on the entire election process and how everything shook out. She also cites sources for all the facts/statistics she writes on, which is nice if you want to cross-reference anything.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:20 PM, vic vinegar said:

I have a love/hate thing going on with King. Loooove the Dark Tower series, Salem's Lot and a ton of his short stories and novellas, but he's also the most consistent author of books I have started but never finished. Definitely read more of his work in my younger years but I don't denounce him the way some people do who used to enjoy his books growing up.

All that said, stick with The Stand. I really enjoyed it. Probably the most "literary" of all his works. I'm not big on religious imagery in stories, super overused to make repetitive and over-done metaphors/commentaries, but for some reason The Stand got a pass for me.

Tried to start IT again recently but it's just tough for me to get into.

I've been having a difficult time reading The Stand. I'm only about 250 pages in, but it hasn't pulled me in yet. I got the unedited/uncut version which is probably a longer version (it's well over 1,000 pages), so that might have something to do with it.

I'm going to give it another shot to see if I can get into it again. I think if I'm not enjoying it once I'm halfway through, I'll move on to another book. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I've been having a difficult time reading The Stand. I'm only about 250 pages in, but it hasn't pulled me in yet. I got the unedited/uncut version which is probably a longer version (it's well over 1,000 pages), so that might have something to do with it.

I'm going to give it another shot to see if I can get into it again. I think if I'm not enjoying it once I'm halfway through, I'll move on to another book. 

I was mainly reading it because the producers of Lost said it influenced the tv show. It's definitely a bit heavy to get through, so if you're not sucked in halfway through move on to another book for sure.

• Like 1

The Stand is great but the beginning is slow. I hated the Frannie story arch. Skip the shit about the parlor. That nearly ruined it. Once society starts collapsing it gets pretty good. Randall Flagg is a great villain. 

I dont know why i didnt enjoy the Dark Tower. My circle of friends all loved it but im trapped in the closet with my true feelings hidden. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:05 AM, Alan Rickman said:

The Stand is great but the beginning is slow. I hated the Frannie story arch. Skip the shit about the parlor. That nearly ruined it. Once society starts collapsing it gets pretty good. Randall Flagg is a great villain. 

I dont know why i didnt enjoy the Dark Tower. My circle of friends all loved it but im trapped in the closet with my true feelings hidden. 

It's been about 15 years since I read The Stand but I remember it being decent enough once you get passed the lengthy descriptions King likes to use. I read an anniversary edition that had a billion extra pages tacked on so it was even worse. I'll have to go back and read it again though. 

You're not alone with the feelings you have for the Dark Tower Series, out if the the dozen or so people who I know that have read it only about half really enioyed it. It's divisive. I liked it a lot until the 6th and 7th book and then it just went to shit. 1 through 5 though were fantastic and some of my favorites. I keep meaning to go and read Wind Through the Keyhole (I think is what it's called) but I never find the time. Plus, its supposed to take place between the 4th and 5th book which means the best way for me to do it is to start the series over again. I'm not exactly ecstatic for a 3rd read through, maybe in a few years.

• Like 1

I liked the original Dark Tower book. The rest just got weird in not really a good or cool way. Just annoying. 

I really do like most of the SK books though. 

Dr. Sleep was surprisingly ok. I had it in my audible with no real desire to listen to it. Glad I finally did.

IT was really good. If you can’t stand reading it I’d recommend audible. Steven Weber narrates it and is really good. 

Shawshank/Green Mile are both pretty short and entertaining.  

13 hours ago, Cantankersaurus said:

It's been about 15 years since I read The Stand but I remember it being decent enough once you get passed the lengthy descriptions King likes to use. I read an anniversary edition that had a billion extra pages tacked on so it was even worse. I'll have to go back and read it again though. 

Yeah, I have the uncut version which is pretty damn long. I'm at the part where civilization is starting to crumble now though (most of the main characters have had their families die off and are alone now), it's definitely getting it a bit better.

3 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

I liked the original Dark Tower book. The rest just got weird in not really a good or cool way. Just annoying. 

Dr. Sleep was surprisingly ok. I had it in my audible with no real desire to listen to it. Glad I finally did.

IT was really good. If you can’t stand reading it I’d recommend audible. Steven Weber narrates it and is really good. 

I just got IT at a Walmart for like $10 because one of the pages was a bit ripped. I'm going to try to get to it soon before the second movie comes out. 

5 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

Dr. Sleep was alright, it didn't feel like a Shining sequel though.

I am about halfway through IT ... been that way for the better part of two years now. I put it down and never picked it back up. It was good, I keep meaning to go back to it but I get sidetracked. 

Did you read 11/22/63? I enjoyed that one quite a bit ... couldn't get into the show though. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cantankersaurus said:

Dr. Sleep was alright, it didn't feel like a Shining sequel though.

I am about halfway through IT ... been that way for the better part of two years now. I put it down and never picked it back up. It was good, I keep meaning to go back to it but I get sidetracked. 

Did you read 11/22/63? I enjoyed that one quite a bit ... couldn't get into the show though. 

I did read it and really enjoyed it. It got a little slow in the middle, but I didn't mind. Bummer about the show though. I hadn't watched it but was always curious. I feel like anything they made movies out of from Stephen King turns out really horrible (Excluding Shawshank, Green Mile). The new IT movie was ok, but the CGI was so cheesy. 

It makes me wonder how Stephen King can write so much about missing good quality art, movies, music etc. and sign off on some of the abortions that made it to TV or the Movies.

16 hours ago, Cantankersaurus said:

You're not alone with the feelings you have for the Dark Tower Series, out if the the dozen or so people who I know that have read it only about half really enioyed it. It's divisive. I liked it a lot until the 6th and 7th book and then it just went to shit. 1 through 5 though were fantastic and some of my favorites. I keep meaning to go and read Wind Through the Keyhole (I think is what it's called) but I never find the time. Plus, its supposed to take place between the 4th and 5th book which means the best way for me to do it is to start the series over again. I'm not exactly ecstatic for a 3rd read through, maybe in a few years.

It wasn't horrible, definitely better than the last couple Dark Tower books. I'd read other King books before going after this one though since it really doesn't pertain to the Dark Tower series and if that was the itch you wanted scratched.

15 minutes ago, Alan Rickman said:

I did read it and really enjoyed it. It got a little slow in the middle, but I didn't mind. Bummer about the show though. I hadn't watched it but was always curious. I feel like anything they made movies out of from Stephen King turns out really horrible (Excluding Shawshank, Green Mile). The new IT movie was ok, but the CGI was so cheesy. 

It makes me wonder how Stephen King can write so much about missing good quality art, movies, music etc. and sign off on some of the abortions that made it to TV or the Movies.

Yeah, I barely made it 2 episodes, just was not for me. I liked the new IT movie a lot and looking forward to the new Pet Semetary movie. Hopefully it's not a flop.

6 minutes ago, Alan Rickman said:

It wasn't horrible, definitely better than the last couple Dark Tower books. I'd read other King books before going after this one though since it really doesn't pertain to the Dark Tower series and if that was the itch you wanted scratched.

Good, that makes me feel a little more at ease with reading it. I was worried that it wouldn't make sense without going back and reading the prior books.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

The Stand just got announced as a new mini series with 10 episodes on CBS.

@Margie Whipple's Rage @Kay I just bought the book Tranny. You read it a while back, right? How was it? 

I really liked it, both from a musical standpoint and the gender identity stand point, what I will say though is that there's little nuance or flair in her approach, it's very direct - I preferred it to Travis's autobiography though, it had more to say and she seems more self aware of her mistakes. 

• Like 1